We ARE the people

D'Artagnan

Or to give it its full title....We are the people of God and the Queen.

But what does that mean in a nation which leans more and more towards a secular society day after day...and in which being a Royalist almost puts you into a “minority group”. Despite the leanings of society it reverberates around Ibrox like a mantra...a calling...a reminder. It’s not even a cry of defiance...it’s a statement of authority.

But let’s not for a moment diminish either the power or the significance of “We are the people”. If this statement was powerless - it would not be on timmy’s, (and any other apostles of the offended brigade) radar to have it banned. And that’s something I have come to learn from the enemy. Anything which they hate or detest is well worth exploring in depth.

Rangers Football Club...”We are the People”.

We are a football club whose character and personality was formed as a result of the actions of others. Perhaps had a football club in the same city not been formed, whose determination to be an all Catholic Football Cub, ( to the extent that they had to poach players from Hibernian) , and through the years presented a strong Irish Republican identity, then perhaps history would have been different. It’s ironic that decades later Anna Smith accuses our club of “cultivating sectarianism”

But a Protestant Scotland wanted a club which reflected its people, in the same way that Celtic represented the Irish Community in Scotland, Rangers, for a variety of reasons espoused by Graham Walker if anyone is interested, were that chosen identity. We were the club which represented the Protestant community of Scotland...the majority....the people. Our football club is us and we are the people.

Our Queen of course, although not head of the Church of Scotland, (let’s not forget what the Covenanters fought for) remains as the leader of a Protestant United Kingdom. She reminds us her by her own actions what are calling is. Faith, loyalty, duty. To our country.

And we are its people.

When her mother passed away there was a minutes silence to allow people to pay their respects to a woman who Hitler called “The most dangerous woman in Europe”. She refused to be evacuated from London to a safer location during the blitz stating her place was amongst her people.

Celtic supporters by their booing during that minute silence caused a referee to abandon this mark of respect after 27 seconds.

Rangers Football Club...”We are the people”

I make no apologies for repeating that statement. Perhaps we need to hear it again and again for the empowerment it gives. Our football club represents the people of Scotland, we stand for what is good, right and just in our society.

Our fathers and forefathers were the people who volunteered to protect our country against the scourge of Nazism many laying down their lives in the process.

Our club remembers their sacrifice by embroidering poppies into our shirts, our fans observe the silence with heads bowed respectfully. It’s to the eternal shame of others that they are forced to applaud such a moment in a charade born of contempt for our country, our heroes and the sacrifice they have made. We all know what would have happened had the opted for the alternative. I doubt we would have even made 27 seconds.

Which makes me wonder why I feel like a minority person in my own country ?

Quite simply we have been quiet in the places that matter for far too long. Let’s face it blasting out “We are the people” every 3pm at Ibrox is not going to change things. We need to take hold of that mantra, and authority, and really start to make it work for us.

We need to remind people that “ We are the people” in the places that matter. We need to remind people that we are not the people who abscond from tyranny by declaring ourselves “neutral” but like our forefathers put ourselves in the front line in the battle.

And you will not stand in that line alone. By being one of the people you are an active part of a majority whose only failing is not realising its potential to enforce change.

We are the people of God and of the Queen.

Together we are unstoppable.

Excellent as per

Also i never knew that about the Queen Mother

Go in to the lounge and view the thread 'Viz letters' - there's a wee story on that i there.

D'Art, I'm tiring of having to say this but 'cap doffed'

Inspiring stuff that makes me wonder how many of the younger generation of this country actually know their/our history.

I remember hearing a primary school teacher from the Shankhill being interviewed last July. I think she had a party of German kids over on an exchange visit but she stated that part of the school curricilum was to teach the pupils about Ulster-Scots history and heritage.

If only we could get that in to our schools. Our young people have a right to learn about their forefathers and our links with Ulster and beyond, particularly the United States. It is a rich, evocative history that is scandalously ignored by our non-denominational schools.

I also honestly believe that this would lead to a resurrection of the Orange Order if kids were actually made aware of why it exists and the everlasting bond between the people of Scotland and Ulster.

Inspiring stuff that makes me wonder how many of the younger generation of this country actually know their/our history.

I remember hearing a primary school teacher from the Shankhill being interviewed last July. I think she had a party of German kids over on an exchange visit but she stated that part of the school curricilum was to teach the pupils about Ulster-Scots history and heritage.

If only we could get that in to our schools. Our young people have a right to learn about their forefathers and our links with Ulster and beyond, particularly the United States. It is a rich, evocative history that is scandalously ignored by our non-denominational schools.

I also honestly believe that this would lead to a resurrection of the Orange Order if kids were actually made aware of why it exists and the everlasting bond between the people of Scotland and Ulster.

Tonto

A wee while back I did a huge article on our Ulster Scots heritage for the monthly magazine when that was running - if it cant be recovered I may have it saved somewhere.

Tonto

A wee while back I did a huge article on our Ulster Scots heritage for the monthly magazine when that was running - if it cant be recovered I may have it saved somewhere.

It's not only a shame but a disgrace that so much of our history is ignored.

I have advocated for some time that the Ulster-Scots 'diaspora' provides a fantastic marketing opportunity for Ranges to exploit on a worldwide basis, particularly in the States.

Whether some people like it or not, we are the club of the Ulster-Scots and that is certainly something to be proud of and to shout from the rooftops.

IIRC there are actually more people of Ulster-Scots ancestry in the US than their are Irish RC yet the impression is that it's the other way round.

If done properly Rangers could develop an Ulster-Scots brand that would be far reaching and something that a significant number of people can relate to.

Look at the New York Yankees. How many people have no interest in baseball, have never been to New York but own a cap or some item if clothing with the fanoul logo on it?

We could capitalise on the fact that we are the most successful club in the world and link it with our Ulster-Scots history.

It doesn't take a great stretch of imagination to link families who have been separated by the Atlantic for generations to the Rangers/Ulster-Scots story.

Some of the descedants of those who stayed are likely to have supported Rangers at some point whilst it is likely that descendants of those who left would have done if they had stayed.

It's not only a shame but a disgrace that so much of our history is ignored.

I have advocated for some time that the Ulster-Scots 'diaspora' provides a fantastic marketing opportunity for Ranges to exploit on a worldwide basis, particularly in the States.

Whether some people like it or not, we are the club of the Ulster-Scots and that is certainly something to be proud of and to shout from the rooftops.

IIRC there are actually more people of Ulster-Scots ancestry in the US than their are Irish RC yet the impression is that it's the other way round.

If done properly Rangers could develop an Ulster-Scots brand that would be far reaching and something that a significant number of people can relate to.

Look at the New York Yankees. How many people have no interest in baseball, have never been to New York but own a cap or some item if clothing with the fanoul logo on it?

We could capitalise on the fact that we are the most successful club in the world and link it with our Ulster-Scots history.

It doesn't take a great stretch of imagination to link families who have been separated by the Atlantic for generations to the Rangers/Ulster-Scots story.

Some of the descedants of those who stayed are likely to have supported Rangers at some point whilst it is likely that descendants of those who left would have done if they had stayed.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96139

Thanks for that.

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant so many are on the wider subject.

I even fear that most people, even amongst our own support, think that we were formed as a protestant club and celtc as a charity organisation to help the poor thanks to ill-informed journalists and others given a platform to speak on the subject.

Your right to say our nation leans more and more towards a secular society.

The numbers attending all churches are in steady decline and have been for years along with support for the monarchy.

The world we live in is a very different place to what it was 30 years ago.