Sammy Baird

Steakbake

Read the other day that the legend Sammy Baird(i was too young to see him) had a cunning plan in place when he was the manager of Stirling Albion.

When he took over in 1963 he insisted that when 'The Binos' played the scum they did so in Orange tops instead of their traditional colours of Red and White.

Apparently the fans of the darkside were rather upset at this and gave the bold Sammy what for.

I think it's safe to say in the current climate that the MOPE's would complain so much that Mr.Baird would receive a longer stretch than Norman Stanley Fletcher.

I saw Sammy Baird play a few times when I was very young. He was a strong big player too and an inside forward. I remember him and Maxie Murray playing together and wee Johnny Hubbard too. I was only 7 or 8 yrs old back then. 1954, 55, 56,57 etc.

Some other greats like Ian McColl, George Young also played then. Billy Simpson was at the end of his career too. George Niven was in goal I believe. Some great old players.

I also remember another ex Ranger John Prentice captain Falkirk to a Scottish Cup Final upset over Kilmarnock.

Great days for a wee Glasgow urchin.

I saw Sammy Baird play a few times when I was very young. He was a strong big player too and an inside forward. I remember him and Maxie Murray playing together and wee Johnny Hubbard too. I was only 7 or 8 yrs old back then. 1954, 55, 56,57 etc.

Some other greats like Ian McColl, George Young also played then. Billy Simpson was at the end of his career too. George Niven was in goal I believe. Some great old players.

I also remember another ex Ranger John Prentice captain Falkirk to a Scottish Cup Final upset over Kilmarnock.

Still remember the team line up from these years;

Niven, Shearer, Caldow,McColl,Young and Davis, Scott,Simpson,Murray,Baird and Hubbard.

Add in Don Kitchenbrand and Johnnie Little from time to time-- great memories!

Still remember the team line up from these years;

Niven, Shearer, Caldow,McColl,Young and Davis, Scott,Simpson,Murray,Baird and Hubbard.

Add in Don Kitchenbrand and Johnnie Little from time to time-- great memories!

Thats it Doc. I could not quite remember if Shearer, Caldow and Davis came a year or two later or not. Great memories.

I remember my Grandfather took me to Airdrie to see a Rangers game with that team and we beat an Airdrie side by 5-4 and big Doug Baillie played for Airdrie before he was transferred to Ibrox. Great fun days.

Nothing at all to do with this post, but just when I saw Bobby Shearers name mentioned. My claim to fame was that I caddied for him at a golf pro-am at Bonnybridge golf club back in the 70's. He went round with Jim Baxter & a couple of guys from the club. They used to have a great pro-am back then. I remember they had dalglish there just before he signed for liverpool. He was a crabbit shit. I think he was fed up getting asked if he was going to liverpool. Half the current Rangers team of the day was there, Derek Johnston, Derek Parlane, Sandy Jardine Gordon Smith etc.

BTW, I'm not as old as this sounds. We all used to go along just to get a paid to carry the clubs. Bobby must have taken pity on me, cause he picked me to carry his clubs then went & got me a trolley to pull them with, cause I was only about 10 & was tiny. The banter with him & Baxter was brilliant, although being 10, most of it probably went right over my head. I got £2 for caddying, won a hibs strip in the raffle, which I promptly swapped with a guy who had won a bag of tatties, which I then sold to my maw. Quite a profitable day for a 10 year old. Ah, those were the days.

:uk:

WATP

Big Sammy good or average for the 'Gers? Jury's still out on that one.

I thought he did alright. He was involved in the ref chalking off an equalising goal in a semi-final against Hibs. Scandalous decision. Sammy only used one hand to palm the ball down.

Big Sammy good or average for the 'Gers? Jury's still out on that one.

I thought he did alright. He was involved in the ref chalking off an equalising goal in a semi-final against Hibs. Scandalous decision. Sammy only used one hand to palm the ball down.

it was ralph brand if i remember.right.