Whittaker - an enigma

nvager

Here is a player who can play some sublime stuff and score fantastic goals at times - not often though - like vs Sporting Lisbon, and yet for 75% of the time looks like a deer in headlights.

Why?

You would think he has more natural ability than Broadfoot - I have - so why does he struggle to produce the goods?

Summed it up in your thread heading - an enigma.

Seems to switch off at times and plays like a guy whose confidence is rock bottom. Loads of potential though.

I'm not convinced he'll last too long at Rangers. Hope he can find a bit of form though - would be more comfortable with an in-form Whittaker at RB & Kirk in the centre.

Just doesn't seem to be a good enough player, has shown some flashes but on the whole has been disappointing. Don't ever think there's been a lack of effort on his part and he has played a number of positions with the fewest being in his natural position, but some of the basics he gets wrong can't be excused no matter where he's playing. Not a fan of Broadfoot but he is generally more solid, Whittaker is like Bambi on Ice.

I think he's a poor footballer, never rated him at Hibs, he wasn't even the best RB there.

Lacks confidence, poor distribution, awful positioning, rash in the challenge, doesn't communicate, concentration span of a 10 year old, horrendous 1st touch, he is not the fittest of players, one minute he looks quick, the next he's like a snail, he's poor in the air....

I don't rate Kirk Broadfoot but he's a slightly better defender than Steven Whittaker.

A complete and utter waste of money and he'll never be good enough to hold down a 1st team place at Ibrox. A new manager will come in, realise this and send him packing - the sooner, the better.

Guest The Brown Brogue

He's a diddy.

Not even as if you can excuse his inconsistency because of youth, he'll be 25 this year. If you're not good enough by that age chances are you're never going to be. Will be here til his contract expires or we release him as I cant see any cunt paying money for him. Hibs well and truly had us on this one.

never rated him and never wanted him anywhere near ibrox. Complete waste of £2m. Cant believe we payed the same for him as we did for thomson. We will be stuck with him though, no one else outside scotland will want him and no one in scotland bar the old firm can afford transfer fees like that.

I think Whittaker is given a seriously raw deal by all and sundry tbh.

And that includes Walter Smith.

Steven Whittaker is easily the best RB we have, and one of the best in the SPL.

Stands to reason then that he did well and showed potential at RB last season which led to him being thrown into the left back position and then back to RB then LB .... you get the picture.

If you shunt a player around the team, especially if you're putting them against their natural flow, then what in God's name do you expect.

Of course his confidence is dented - he's been given no stability at this club and hasn't been allowed to sustain his run at RB.

He's a natural athlete, and he's got pace, but if it's not nurtured properly then you're only damaging his potential.

Very unfair what's happened with him. And it leads to unfair criticism from so many.

He's a diddy.

Not even as if you can excuse his inconsistency because of youth, he'll be 25 this year. If you're not good enough by that age chances are you're never going to be. Will be here til his contract expires or we release him as I cant see any cunt paying money for him. Hibs well and truly had us on this one.

4 or 5 year deal he is on :anguish:

I think Whittaker is given a seriously raw deal by all and sundry tbh.

And that includes Walter Smith.

Steven Whittaker is easily the best RB we have, and one of the best in the SPL.

Stands to reason then that he did well and showed potential at RB last season which led to him being thrown into the left back position and then back to RB then LB .... you get the picture.

If you shunt a player around the team, especially if you're putting them against their natural flow, then what in God's name do you expect.

Of course his confidence is dented - he's been given no stability at this club and hasn't been allowed to sustain his run at RB.

He's a natural athlete, and he's got pace, but if it's not nurtured properly then you're only damaging his potential.

Very unfair what's happened with him. And it leads to unfair criticism from so many.

I would have given him a run at right back after Hutton left.

Blame has to lie with our manager - why pay £2m for a RB and play a player out of position ahead of him, a player that wasn't even as good as him at the time?

Another of Walter Smith's many mistakes. The list is massive.

If he got a 30 odd game run like kirk did last season, he would have got the chance to prove he is the best RB at the club and why he was rightly being touted as one of the best in scotland before huttons rise

I think he's a poor footballer, never rated him at Hibs, he wasn't even the best RB there.

Lacks confidence, poor distribution, awful positioning, rash in the challenge, doesn't communicate, concentration span of a 10 year old, horrendous 1st touch, he is not the fittest of players, one minute he looks quick, the next he's like a snail, he's poor in the air....

I don't rate Kirk Broadfoot but he's a slightly better defender than Steven Whittaker.

A complete and utter waste of money and he'll never be good enough to hold down a 1st team place at Ibrox. A new manager will come in, realise this and send him packing - the sooner, the better.

Could not have put it better,spot on! The thing which mystifies me is how he became a spl footballer with his very obvious balance and coordination weakness.