Boyd banner

rangerswatp

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe not score as many but we'd still score and win games.

Someone did the calculations on Pie and Bovril a few weeks ago and we'd scored more goals per game with Boyd out of the team this season than with him in it (and this is a season where he's been on great form in comparison to the likes of last season), so I agree that you can't say we'd definitely struggle to score with Boyd out of the team. Now personally, I think it goes a bit far in the opposite direction to say that these numbers are truly representative, or that we'd improve if he left the club, but I think it's easy to exaggerate the impact of Boyd not playing on the total number of goals the team would score.

Edit - I dug up the numbers in case anyone's really interested (like I say, I don't think this is truly representative - it's quite a small sample size - so don't shoot the messenger):

With Boyd = 2.16 goals per game

Without Boyd = 2.92 goals per game

minutes with Boyd on the pitch = 1582

minutes with Boyd off the pitch = 308

goals with Boyd on the pitch = 38

goals with Boyd off the pitch = 10

There seem to be two groups of people on this one. There's the people that think we should be getting the ball to Boyd in the box so he can score as many as possible, and there's the group that think with better all-round strikers (who might not take every penalty and score hat-tricks against Hamilton and Inverness) the team as a whole would be more likely to win games. Now, here's a though, do you think it's easier to defend against a team that has one recognised 'goalscorer' and whose gameplan consists of getting the ball to him, or do you think it's easier to defend against a team that has more than one threat?

edit: another point, does no-one else think it's insulting to the rest of our strikers to suggest that without Boyd we won't score goals and win the title? That banner looked pretty stupid after Boyd's inept first half performance and Novo's two goals.

He may have only scored a sitter yesterday, but watching the highlights again, he played pretty well actually.

Ran with the ball, took on players, used his strength to hold them off, passed it into spaces for Novo to chase, had a few adventurous interesting shots, and eventually pounced on the ball when the goalie fucked up to score.

Keep it up Boydy.

edit: another point, does no-one else think it's insulting to the rest of our strikers to suggest that without Boyd we won't score goals and win the title? That banner looked pretty stupid after Boyd's inept first half performance and Novo's two goals.

In fairness it said 'title' not cups :craphead:

But to say, no Boyd = no goals = no title(again) is a fucking joke!

I don’t think they could fit…

selling kris boys may decrease our chances of winnign the league, of course the other strikers in the squad could go on to have a successful season and we could capture the title as we are only four points behind and still have to play celtic twice but we do find it unlikely that a team not featuring kris boyd will win the league (again)
on a bedsheet……..

If he stays, he stays - if he goes, he goes. I couldn't give a shit anymore, just aslong as he doesn't start in the tougher games ie, Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen away.

Why do you single those teams out when in actual fact every away game is a tough one. :gerbad: (<-- i love that)

It's ironic on the night Novo has scored twice while Boyd has so far failed to score!

How did them words taste?

ROFL :gerbad:

doh

I really think you misunderstood my point <cr>

If you read my next post in the thread before posting your pish, you'd understand how I feel about Boyd. I'll attempt a response to your pitiful post:

The banner said "No Boyd = No goals = No title (again)" correct?

Now, Novo scored the first 2 goals in a 3-0 win, correct? So "No Boyd = No goals" is nonsense.

Kris Boyd's goal had no effect on the overall result, so barring the fact that this was a cup game (which seemed to escape the attention of the banner makers) we would still have won the game, so "No Boyd = No title" on this occasion is misplaced. Incidentally, I said it was ironic, I didn't say "Kris Boyd doesn't score goals" which is what your infantile response insinuates.

Anything about that is unclear, I'll try to explain again if you like.

In fact, I'll post my following post again for the hard of thinking:

While Boyd has worked very hard and linked up well (tu)

Boyd's played alright, I agree. Kind of irrelevant to the "No Boyd = No Goals = No Title(again)" thing though.

For the record, I'm neither a Boyd lover or hater, I've made my thoughts on him perfectly clear in the past. His goals are welcome, and he's a great goalscorer. He doesn't contribute the most to the overall performance, but he has improved in that department.