Signs of English football slipping?

Danny

The money going into the EPL is very stupid, i really hope it implodes soon, and i really think it will.

I don't want that to happen, because a lot of people would lose their jobs. And I don't mean the players.

But I do want the EPL to wake up and stop abusing money like they currently are.

The money going into the EPL is very stupid, i really hope it implodes soon, and i really think it will.

I don't want that to happen, because a lot of people would lose their jobs. And I don't mean the players.

But I do want the EPL to wake up and stop abusing money like they currently are.

Sorry by implode i didn't mean go bankrupt, i ment hit a point where they can't afford to do what they are doing anymore, and every team has to cut their wages, spendings etc by alot.

Surely an 'abuse' of money only happens when the clubs are spending what they don't have?

I'd say insulting it such as bidding 100M for Kaka then offering him half a mill a week.

Or casually paying 18M for Darren Bent.

In my context, abuse equals an economy that is suffering - and to go around throwing money around like this during such a time seems quite grotesque.

Surely an 'abuse' of money only happens when the clubs are spending what they don't have?

I'd say insulting it such as bidding 100M for Kaka then offering him half a mill a week.

In my context, abuse equals an economy that is suffering - and to go around throwing money around like this during such a time seems quite grotesque.

£100m for Kaka was a joke, not to mention his 500k a week, NO player is worth that, im so glad he said giuy!

I don't really agree.

The Abu Dhabi Group have probably made Kaka's last wage in the time it's taken me to type this post, they really can afford it no problem at all. It's comfy for them and with the EPL's ownership policies (so we're told, at least), they can't just walk away at any time and leave City in the shit.

I don't really agree.

The Abu Dhabi Group have probably made Kaka's last wage in the time it's taken me to type this post, they really can afford it no problem at all. It's comfy for them and with the EPL's ownership policies (so we're told, at least), they can't just walk away at any time and leave City in the shit.

You don't see any qualm in all the millions being splashed around down south when we have financial global meltdown and a recession going on?

The Man City owners are not the only guilty ones down there. Correct me if I am wrong but Spurs wasted about 8M buying back Defoe. Money isn't an object in the EPL, and it bloody should be.

You don't see any qualm in all the millions being splashed around down south when we have financial global meltdown and a recession going on?

The Man City owners are not the only guilty ones down there. Correct me if I am wrong but Spurs wasted about 8M buying back Defoe. Money isn't an object in the EPL, and it bloody should be.

I'm not sure if i'd want to see it in our football, but the NFL's wage cap and the way they get a new team every year is interesting.

I think really, football should have wage caps, fee caps and a 3-5 foreigner rule per team.

I'm not sure if i'd want to see it in our football, but the NFL's wage cap and the way they get a new team every year is interesting.

I think really, football should have wage caps, fee caps and a 3-5 foreigner rule per team.

I really don't know how much longer they can sustain the ludicrous sums of money washing about down there.

And quite honestly surely something akin to what you've suggested may have to come into place.

Otherwise God knows what that league's future will be.

Leeds are a good example of wild spending going very wrong.

The EPL is still the top dog in terms of leagues. Even though the top teams are going through a sticky patch at home they still continuously beat other European teams in the elite competitions. You also look at the relegation battle and it shows you despite all the money the league can still remain competitive. Everyone from 8th place has a realistic chance of going down.

La Liga needs a good Real Madrid to be considered the best and they are far from that but imo Barca are the best club side in the world at the minute and with Messi they have the best player.

Serie A is improving but with all the trouble they have had over the last few years it will take some time for it to get back to what it was, nice to see Napoli back in and doing well again.

The EPL has also just signed a 3 year deal with Sky which is bigger than the current package so there is no sign it is going to decline soon. Money rules in football, Milan in the 90's, Real Madrid in the 00's and Man Utd/EPL the last few years. The power shift will happen again but not anytime soon.

It's been 'the' league for a few seasons now.

But as anyone would tell you part of what makes a league such a heavyweight is having its 4 or so main top sides being the sides everyone else has to beat.

Being the strongest teams who consistently top the table and look the part.

Italy has finally got its act together this season and the top 5 sides in the country are in their rightful places at the proper end of the table.

Spain are the same, the top 5 in that country are at the top.

But England is a different animal this year - the top 4 are in a muddled order and Aston Villa are bizarrely in there this year. None of the top 4 regular sides have fired on all cylinders - Arsenal are well off the pace, Chelsea's bandwagon has lost its wheels, and Liverpool are the only side who look like they could challenge Man Utd, albeit Man Utd themselves aren't exactly in the form of their lives.

Could it be that English football is slightly slipping now, and rather than being the big one - all 3 of the main leagues are pretty much equals now?

I watched the Inter,followed by the Milan game on Sunday.The football was superb,and found both games of a higher standard,and far more enjoyable

to anything Iv'e watched in the EPL for quite some time. (tu)

I really don't know how much longer they can sustain the ludicrous sums of money washing about down there.

And quite honestly surely something akin to what you've suggested may have to come into place.

Otherwise God knows what that league's future will be.

Leeds are a good example of wild spending going very wrong.

My mate is a Leeds fan, and he didn't see it coming at all, thats the strange thing, he was so upset when they went down, but it was their own fault i guess.

They went from playing Real Madrid to then playing my local team Bournemouth within 2 years :lol: gutter.

A wage cap would be interesting, and is needed imo.

I also think a 3 - 5 foreigners rule, i watched gunners v spurs the other day, and i may be wrong but i swear there was only 3-4 brits on the pitch, Arsenal fielding NONE of them either, i just think that things like that start to ruin the international teams.

Furthermore they started talking about one of the spanish goalies playing for England, again, i don't agree.

I love Novo, but i'm glad they said no to him for scotland.

i have never thought of the EPL as the "top" league but everyone has their opinions i suppose.

Look at the CL seeding this year. Look at the money going into it.

i'll start again.

CL has no bearing on which LEAGUE is the best it mearly suggests that some teams are better at knockout formats than others.

there are 20 teams in each league you are comparing 4 teams from each league.(if indeed 4 even make it)

doh

Could you do me a wee favour and regale me with the exact format of the Champions League...

:doh:

yeah sorry its a league that is played over 38 games isnt it.

:doh:

The best teams from each league are in the champions league so it does give an indication of the quality of the leagues.

No it doesn't, Orange Clement is right.

We can all go home now.

the top 4 teams will give you an indication of how good the top4 teams are against the other top4 teams from whichever league.

are you saying that the other 16 teams in each league are of the same quality as the top 4 ?

It's been 'the' league for a few seasons now.

But as anyone would tell you part of what makes a league such a heavyweight is having its 4 or so main top sides being the sides everyone else has to beat.

Being the strongest teams who consistently top the table and look the part.

Italy has finally got its act together this season and the top 5 sides in the country are in their rightful places at the proper end of the table.

Spain are the same, the top 5 in that country are at the top.

But England is a different animal this year - the top 4 are in a muddled order and Aston Villa are bizarrely in there this year. None of the top 4 regular sides have fired on all cylinders - Arsenal are well off the pace, Chelsea's bandwagon has lost its wheels, and Liverpool are the only side who look like they could challenge Man Utd, albeit Man Utd themselves aren't exactly in the form of their lives.

Could it be that English football is slightly slipping now, and rather than being the big one - all 3 of the main leagues are pretty much equals now?

I watched the Inter,followed by the Milan game on Sunday.The football was superb,and found both games of a higher standard,and far more enjoyable

to anything Iv'e watched in the EPL for quite some time. (tu)

dont be silly danny is right.:praise: