Opinions on Martinez as a future Rangers manager

Tontospal

What if Martinez saw what Paul Le Guen saw with Ferguson, in as much as the captain is/was on a downward spiral?

Would fans still take to him if he came in and removed Ferguson from the club?

he expected us to trust him in getting rid of Fergie

I know, i mean imagine trying to get rid of a player who was going behind your back in the dressing room and not following your instructions on the park. That's just fucking mental.

But save this from going into PLG debate #249043438907. I'd take Martinez in a heartbeat. He lives and breathes the game and knows how to mix Continental flair with British workman effort, add in a fantastic discipline for man management and an eye for a transfer and you have a very interesting young manager indeed.

Sadly, i think he'll be out of our range by the time Walter Smith leaves, already he's being linked with various La Liga jobs.

I remember when PLG was here, i was one of the only saying "stick with him till the end of the season"

Now i look back and say this to the McBoyd of then....

doh

That is all. :pipe:

My feelings on the PLG saga are well known on this forum. I don't want to ruin what is an interesting thread by regurgitating my feelings on the matter.

as much as he's doing well at swansea, everyone should remember it is only swansea, a step up to a club that requires IMMEDIATE success might be too much for him, if tims get 4inarow this year (thats the only way walter will leave btw) we cannot afford a manager a few seasons bedding in time

without going off topic, i would take coyle from burnley

What if Martinez saw what Paul Le Guen saw with Ferguson, in as much as the captain is/was on a downward spiral?

Would fans still take to him if he came in and removed Ferguson from the club?

Forget about the fans, mate. What about the media? Remember the articles his best mate Iain King ran with after the stories of a dispute broke? The way they reported it would have you think that Le Guen was actually planning to kill Ferguson.

Ferguson is personal friends with a lot of Scottish journo's. Any manager who wants to sell him, domestic or foreign, is going to have to endure a lot of flack.

To be honest i think getting rid of Ferguson at that time would have been the wrong thing to do, in what was a terrible season where we had so few people performing he was our best player and i don't imagine results would have gotten any better without him.

It's different now, he is contributing nothing anymore, on the field or as a captain.

as much as he's doing well at swansea, everyone should remember it is only swansea, a step up to a club that requires IMMEDIATE success might be too much for him, if tims get 4inarow this year (thats the only way walter will leave btw) we cannot afford a manager a few seasons bedding in time

without going off topic, i would take coyle from burnley

I'm far from certain that even if (god forbid) the scum won 4 in a row, Smith would leave.

Although his stock is high at the moment it would still be a bit too soon for him to take the job.

He's worked a minor miracle at Swansea, and they play nice football in midfield, but they simply draw too many games.

Although I really like Martinez, I just think that going from Swansea to Rangers would perhaps be too big a step this soon.

if Smith goes Martinez would be a great shout. My preferred choice would be Michael Laudrup but with him being contracted in Russia I can't see that happening. Whoever we go for it's got to be someone with managerial experience. If we simply gave the job to Ally it would be a step back

if Smith goes Martinez would be a great shout. My preferred choice would be Michael Laudrup but with him being contracted in Russia I can't see that happening. Whoever we go for it's got to be someone with managerial experience. If we simply gave the job to Ally it would be a step back

Michael laudrup and brian as his assistant :thumbup:

Michael laudrup and brian as his assistant :thumbup:

I would take some of that. It's important if uv got a foreign manager that you have a person who knows the club with you. Worked for Advocaat with John Greig and could have been a factor (along with the lack of support he got from Murray) why PLG didn't work out