We Will Never Forget.

tannerall

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jan 2nd 1972 was one of the worst days of my life.

I arrived at Ibrox Stadium with my parents and younger brother. Dad parked the car at the Rangers Pools Office as he always did for the home games he was one of the top agents at the time and it was never an issue parking there. We headed into the stadium full of hope of getting a win over the tims. After what was a good game and Colin Stein equalising late in the game to preserve a 1-1 tie we headed back to the car. Fortunately we headed out under the old cow shed and down the pathway to the Copland Rd exit. As we passed the stairway we saw a commotion on the stairs. A huge pile up about half way up the stairs and guys below that sitting on others shoulders trying to get the folks at the top of the stairs to turn back. Thinking it was a fight we continued on to the car which was only a minutes walk from the exit. Dad decided to allow the traffic to disperse before setting off and we sat listening to the car radio to hear a report of the match. At around 5:05 reports of people being injured on the stairway started coming through the radio first 10 then 20 had died as the number climbed I told my parents I had to go and help. At the time through my BB company I was team captain of the junior Red Cross National first aid champions.

As I rushed into the stadium the sights were horrific People were just numb around the area. (People sitting on others shoulders below the accident were erroneously reported as the cause of the accident the real reason has never been found just some speculation). I spent the next 90 minutes attending to injured and helping to lift the dead onto stretchers where they were apparently placed on the goal line at the Rangers end before being taken into the stadium. My parents had left my younger brother in the car and also had came over to help as well. Willie Waddell and Jock Stein were also there helping.

I was barely 16 at the time and have never seen such carnage and hope never to do so again. But what really struck home was most of the dead and injured were my own age.

One thing that has always bugged me is the press dubbing the stairway Stairway 13. It was NOT... the number 13 referred to the passageway down the terracing to the front of the Rangers end. But it was catchy and has become part of folklore.

The next headache was worrying about my mothers cousin Jim Neil who traveled in with the Bo'Ness Supporters Club bus. We had not seen him at the stadium but meant nothing as he could have been transferred off the stairs before we got there. After we left the stadium at around 8 o'clock Dad drove to Bo'Ness (we lived in Denny at the time) to check on Jim. He fortunately was home safe and sound.

To those that left to go and see a football match to never return home we will remember you every Jan 2nd.

Rest In Peace bears you are gone but never forgotten.

To absent Friends

Thank you for your post Iain,the only small crumb of comfort for everyone involved in the tragedy was that the Ibrox stadium that Mr Waddell rebuilt meant that no other fans would have to suffer the horrors of that day in 1971 and that for me is the most fitting memorial to the 66 who died and their families.

January 1971 and April 1902.

I have asked Gogzy to help. I don't know why it came up like that, even the 2Nd should have been 2nd.

It has also come up twice :(

I am not very technical, so thanks for pointing that out.

I have asked Gogzy to help. I don't know why it came up like that, even the 2Nd should have been 2nd.

It's not your fault mate, its the way the thread titles work for some reason.

Absent friends

Pedantic loyal. ;)

Was reading this account from the referee's view just before you posted. Took a lot of guts to referee the benefit match so soon after. And as for the media harrassment, what can you say. Out of control then too.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/40-years-on-ibrox-disaster-still-haunts-referee-1-3252973

Thanks bro.

It appears there is a memorial thread setup, I have asked Gozgy to delete mine anyway,

No need to delete this thread,your thoughts were sincere. Another thread for peoples thoughts and memories and opinions is fine with me.

RIP the 66, never forgotten.

Pedantic loyal. ;)

Was reading this account from the referee's view just before you posted. Took a lot of guts to referee the benefit match so soon after. And as for the media harrassment, what can you say. Out of control then too.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/40-years-on-ibrox-disaster-still-haunts-referee-1-3252973

It makes difficult reading, poor soul.

You are dead on with the comment about the media. Shameful.

Pedantic loyal. ;)

thats a sad read , must be so so many who survived that day but lost part of themselves ,

Btw stop scrolling at the bottom before you reach the comments , some sick bastards out there

thats a sad read , must be so so many who survived that day but lost part of themselves ,

Btw stop scrolling at the bottom before you reach the comments , some sick bastards out there

They probably know that cellic officials and supporters helped out immediately, and that the whole community shared the grief, so they respect nothing. Leave them to themselves, they have their own problems those people.

Pedantic loyal. ;)

Chilling read that. Poor guy. Sounds like the Scottish media where just as scummy back then as they are now

45 years ago today I went to Ibrox to watch the Gers. Fate smiled on me that day as I arrived home physically unscathed. 66 of my fellow fans were not to be as fortunate. I was just a daft teenager then but every year, on 2nd January at 4.45pm I reflect on my life in the years from that awful day. I think of all the great games I've seen, the places I have visited, meeting my wonderful (and very patient) wife, my lovely daughter, my great friends and family and the good fortune I've had in general. I reflect on the sadness of those who lost someone that foggy day and that those who perished never had the chance to live a life such as mine. They never saw us win in Barcelona, nor did they see Gazza, Laudrup, Albertz, 9 in a row. They never saw the stadium rebuilt in their memory. When I think of the things which have annoyed me during the year it is on the 2nd of January when I realise how trivial they mostly are and that I should be thankful.

66 of my fellow supporters never had that chance to be annoyed by minor irritants in the years after 2nd January 1971.

Here's to absent friends, gone but never forgotten.

45 years ago today I went to Ibrox to watch the Gers. Fate smiled on me that day as I arrived home physically unscathed. 66 of my fellow fans were not to be as fortunate. I was just a daft teenager then but every year, on 2nd January at 4.45pm I reflect on my life in the years from that awful day. I think of all the great games I've seen, the places I have visited, meeting my wonderful (and very patient) wife, my lovely daughter, my great friends and family and the good fortune I've had in general. I reflect on the sadness of those who lost someone that foggy day and that those who perished never had the chance to live a life such as mine. They never saw us win in Barcelona, nor did they see Gazza, Laudrup, Albertz, 9 in a row. They never saw the stadium rebuilt in their memory. When I think of the things which have annoyed me during the year it is on the 2nd of January when I realise how trivial they mostly are and that I should be thankful.

66 of my fellow supporters never had that chance to be annoyed by minor irritants in the years after 2nd January 1971.

Here's to absent friends, gone but never forgotten.

Well said mate and totally agree, puts life in perspective.