We Will Never Forget.

tannerall

I will never forget the agony on waiting for my dad to come home, I was 11 at the time and he wouldn't let me go, my brothers and my mum were sitting watching the disaster breaking on the news and we were waiting on my dad to come home to go to my grans, his usual time passed and we were getting very worried, after a hour had passes from his usual time I was standing at the front door crying when I saw his car turning into the street, it turned out his supporters bus had broke down. I think of this every year and the pain of the folks who's loved ones didn't come home, God bless you all and RIP those who were taken.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never forget the others who lost their lives at the first disaster either.

Something that doesn't get mentioned as much.

Well said my friend. As a wee boy my da took me to Ibrox and I remember coming down stairway 13 from 1962 onwards on numerous occasions before 1971. I remember always making sure my arms were above my head. On many occasions I have come down that whole stairway without my feet touching the ground such was the crush. I never thought anything of it at the time. At the bottom I have seen grown men scream because the square red brick exit had to be negotiated so that you popped out the middle. Seen grown men being squashed to fuck, losing jackets and shit. But then it was an acceptable part of the football experience.

The people who go to Ibrox now have no idea what that crush was like. And they are lucky. It's a whole different experience. When they say they want standing, they should be aware of the dangers.

To absent friends.

Never forget the others who lost their lives at the first disaster either.

Something that doesn't get mentioned as much.

Well said my friend. As a wee boy my da took me to Ibrox and I remember coming down stairway 13 from 1962 onwards on numerous occasions before 1971. I remember always making sure my arms were above my head. On many occasions I have come down that whole stairway without my feet touching the ground such was the crush. I never thought anything of it at the time. At the bottom I have seen grown men scream because the square red brick exit had to be negotiated so that you popped out the middle. Seen grown men being squashed to fuck, losing jackets and shit. But then it was an acceptable part of the football experience.

The people who go to Ibrox now have no idea what that crush was like. And they are lucky. It's a whole different experience. When they say they want standing, they should be aware of the dangers.

To absent friends.

One of the things that keeps us going is the fact that we know how the greatest supporters empathise with this.

He was pictured in the daily rebel as the boy who lived for Rangers and died for Rangers.

Remember them all from the first disaster to hopefully the last.

I was thirteen at the time, and wasn't allowed to go to Old Firm games. We lived in between the Stadium and the Southern General Hospital, and I'll never forget hearing the sirens of the ambulances wailing through that foggy night.

Three of my uncles were at the game, all came home safe although the last one died last year and one of the last things he told me was that he had been caught up in the crush that day, for over forty years he hadn't spoken of it to any of the family.

God Bless the 66.

Always Remembered.

GLASGOW

DAVID ANDERSON [45], JOHN BUCHANAN [32], RICHARD BARKE [15], DAVID DUFF [23), PETER FARRIES [26], JOHN GARDINER [32], THOMAS GRANT [16], CHARLES LIVINGSTON [30], BRIAN HUTCHINSON [16], JOHN JEFFREY [16], ANDREW LINDSAY [18], THOMAS MELVILLE [17], FRANCIS DOVER [16], ROBERT MULHOLLAND [16], DUNCAN McBREARTY [17], DONALD McPHERSON [30], THOMAS McROBBIE [17], ROBERT RAE [25], WILLIAM SHAW [30], WALTER SHIELDS, GEORGE SMITH [40], WILLIAM SOMERHILL [17], JAMES TRAINER [20]

JOHN CRAWFORD [23], GEORGE FINDLAY [21], JOHN NEIL.

LIVERPOOL

NIGEL PICKUP [9]

EDINBURGH

WALTER RAEBURN [36], JAMES SIBBALD [28], ROBERT C CAIRNS [17].

LANARKSHIRE

THOMAS DICKSON [32], IAN FREW [21], JAMES GREY [37], IAN HUNTER [14], JAMES MAIR [19], ROBERT MAXWELL [15], ALEXANDER ORR [16], MATTHEW RIED [49], CHARLES STIRLING [20], PETER WRIGHT [31]

ARGYLL

GEORGE IRWIN [22]

FIFE

PETER EASTON [13], MARTIN PATON [14], MASON PHILLIPS [14], BRIAN TODD [14], DOUGLAS MORRISON [15]

RENFREWSHIRE

HUGH ADDIE [33], ROBERT GRANT [21], ALEX McINTYRE [29], GEORGE WILSON [15]

STIRLINGSHIRE

MARGARET FERGUSON [18], ROBERT McADAM [36], RICHARD McLEAY [28], JOHN McLEAY [23]

WEST LOTHIAN

RUSSEL MALCOLM [16]

DUMBARTONSHIRE

GEORGE ADAMS [43], ROBERT CARRIGAN [13], CHARLES DOUGAN [31], ADAM HENDERSON, DAVID McGHEE [14], THOMAS MORGAN [14], JAMES RAE [19], JOHN SEMPLE [18], THOMAS STIRLING [16], DONALD SUTHERLAND [14].

EAST LOTHIAN

JAMES McGOVERN [24]

I know it was believed the crush was due to people running in opposite directions after the late goal but ive heard thats not actually what the cause was, what actually caused the crush?

I know it was believed the crush was due to people running in opposite directions after the late goal but ive heard thats not actually what the cause was, what actually caused the crush?

I'm not 100% sure but I remember watching a documentary about it a while ago,and a guy said it was caused by a boy who fell going down the stairs.

I'll try and find it.

GLASGOW

DAVID ANDERSON [45], JOHN BUCHANAN [32], RICHARD BARKE [15], DAVID DUFF [23), PETER FARRIES [26], JOHN GARDINER [32], THOMAS GRANT [16], CHARLES LIVINGSTON [30], BRIAN HUTCHINSON [16], JOHN JEFFREY [16], ANDREW LINDSAY [18], THOMAS MELVILLE [17], FRANCIS DOVER [16], ROBERT MULHOLLAND [16], DUNCAN McBREARTY [17], DONALD McPHERSON [30], THOMAS McROBBIE [17], ROBERT RAE [25], WILLIAM SHAW [30], WALTER SHIELDS, GEORGE SMITH [40], WILLIAM SOMERHILL [17], JAMES TRAINER [20]

JOHN CRAWFORD [23], GEORGE FINDLAY [21], JOHN NEIL.

LIVERPOOL

NIGEL PICKUP [9]

EDINBURGH

WALTER RAEBURN [36], JAMES SIBBALD [28], ROBERT C CAIRNS [17].

LANARKSHIRE

THOMAS DICKSON [32], IAN FREW [21], JAMES GREY [37], IAN HUNTER [14], JAMES MAIR [19], ROBERT MAXWELL [15], ALEXANDER ORR [16], MATTHEW RIED [49], CHARLES STIRLING [20], PETER WRIGHT [31]

ARGYLL

GEORGE IRWIN [22]

FIFE

PETER EASTON [13], MARTIN PATON [14], MASON PHILLIPS [14], BRIAN TODD [14], DOUGLAS MORRISON [15]

RENFREWSHIRE

HUGH ADDIE [33], ROBERT GRANT [21], ALEX McINTYRE [29], GEORGE WILSON [15]

STIRLINGSHIRE

MARGARET FERGUSON [18], ROBERT McADAM [36], RICHARD McLEAY [28], JOHN McLEAY [23]

WEST LOTHIAN

RUSSEL MALCOLM [16]

DUMBARTONSHIRE

GEORGE ADAMS [43], ROBERT CARRIGAN [13], CHARLES DOUGAN [31], ADAM HENDERSON, DAVID McGHEE [14], THOMAS MORGAN [14], JAMES RAE [19], JOHN SEMPLE [18], THOMAS STIRLING [16], DONALD SUTHERLAND [14].

EAST LOTHIAN

JAMES McGOVERN [24]

To my buddies James Mair and James Grey:

God Bless and rest in the peace of The Lord

A really sad time of the year.

Jan 2nd 1972 was one of the worst days of my life.

I arrived at Ibrox Stadium with my parents and younger brother. Dad parked the car at the Rangers Pools Office as he always did for the home games he was one of the top agents at the time and it was never an issue parking there. We headed into the stadium full of hope of getting a win over the tims. After what was a good game and Colin Stein equalising late in the game to preserve a 1-1 tie we headed back to the car. Fortunately we headed out under the old cow shed and down the pathway to the Copland Rd exit. As we passed the stairway we saw a commotion on the stairs. A huge pile up about half way up the stairs and guys below that sitting on others shoulders trying to get the folks at the top of the stairs to turn back. Thinking it was a fight we continued on to the car which was only a minutes walk from the exit. Dad decided to allow the traffic to disperse before setting off and we sat listening to the car radio to hear a report of the match. At around 5:05 reports of people being injured on the stairway started coming through the radio first 10 then 20 had died as the number climbed I told my parents I had to go and help. At the time through my BB company I was team captain of the junior Red Cross National first aid champions.

As I rushed into the stadium the sights were horrific People were just numb around the area. (People sitting on others shoulders below the accident were erroneously reported as the cause of the accident the real reason has never been found just some speculation). I spent the next 90 minutes attending to injured and helping to lift the dead onto stretchers where they were apparently placed on the goal line at the Rangers end before being taken into the stadium. My parents had left my younger brother in the car and also had came over to help as well. Willie Waddell and Jock Stein were also there helping.

I was barely 16 at the time and have never seen such carnage and hope never to do so again. But what really struck home was most of the dead and injured were my own age.

One thing that has always bugged me is the press dubbing the stairway Stairway 13. It was NOT... the number 13 referred to the passageway down the terracing to the front of the Rangers end. But it was catchy and has become part of folklore.

The next headache was worrying about my mothers cousin Jim Neil who traveled in with the Bo'Ness Supporters Club bus. We had not seen him at the stadium but meant nothing as he could have been transferred off the stairs before we got there. After we left the stadium at around 8 o'clock Dad drove to Bo'Ness (we lived in Denny at the time) to check on Jim. He fortunately was home safe and sound.

To those that left to go and see a football match to never return home we will remember you every Jan 2nd.

Rest In Peace bears you are gone but never forgotten.

To absent Friends

I still shiver wondering why I didn't go that day. Each year it gets to me.

A sad sad day in our history. Always remember them.

RIP

It's strange how things like this work mate. There but for the grace......

http://rangers.co.uk/news/club/remembering-the-66-3/

Minutes silence before tomorrows game

Nice gesture by Dumbarton. (tu)