A Leading Question: Which Ex Ranger Scored A Hat Trick against Liverpool at Anfield ?

tannerall

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Now it gets interesting. 

"Scotsman Bobby Parker, signed from Glasgow Rangers in 1913 for a fee of £1,500, was Everton’s star man and top scorer, racking up 36 goals for the season. It was a total that constituted largely of an incredible six hat-tricks, one of which came in a 5-0 win at Anfield in October 1914. Shortly after he had fired his football club to the domestic title, he went off to serve his country on the battlefields. He returned with a bullet lodged in his back, an injury which prevented him from retaining his pre-war footballing ability."

So there you have it. But look at the detail. 

I worked out roughly that £1.500 in those days is the equivalent of around £1,000,000 to £1,500,000 at today's prices, so he was the equivalent to our first million pound sale (I expect someone to tell me who that was). 

Who'd have thought that our star players were going for record fees even then. 

But the war record too. His career was cut tragically short fighting for his country. A sacrifice our club still honours to this day. 

The real point I'm making is there are there are still l so many great stories to be unearthed about our amazing club....... and it is ongoing........ 

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

So there you have it. But look at the detail. 

I worked out roughly that £1.500 in those days is the equivalent of around £1,000,000 to £1,500,000 at today's prices, so he was the equivalent to our first million pound sale (I expect someone to tell me who that was). 

Who'd have thought that our star players were going for record fees even then. 

But the war record too. His career was cut tragically short fighting for his country. A sacrifice our club still honours to this day. 

The real point I'm making is there are there are still l so many great stories to be unearthed about our amazing club....... and it is ongoing........ 

Another ex ranger Trevor Francis

Read the original post wrong hence the Francis comment - Britains first million pound player

5 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Only other other Scottish player I can think of Alex Young never played for us, certainly scored 3 vs liverpool.  This is annoying

2 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Another ex ranger Trevor Francis

Apologies if either of those two was also a correct answer, was to lazy to do the search on those.:unsure:

16 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Only other other Scottish player I can think of Alex Young never played for us, certainly scored 3 vs liverpool.  This is annoying

Is it another Alex Young ?

From Wikipedia "Hat-tricks: The first derby hat-trick was scored by Everton's Alex "Sandy" Young who scored four in the 1904 5–1 win at Goodison."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merseyside_derby

27 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Out of interest  what would  1500 be in today's money? 

Purely on inflation about £120k but probably a lot more in football terms given inflation of transfer fees has skyrocketed 

11 minutes ago, tannerall said:

:clap: That's one, three to go.

Sir David and the fox in the box?

Last one? Not sure, lots of possibilities. Diouf would seem the type but don't think he has. Don't think Gough, Ball, Cleland, Vignal, Myhre, Jelavic have either. Need to think some more!

3 minutes ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Sir David and the fox in the box?

Last one? Not sure, lots of possibilities. Diouf would seem the type but don't think he has. Don't think Gough, Ball, Cleland, Vignal, Myhre, Jelavic have either. Need to think some more!

:clap::clap: That's three out of four, 

Arteta, Davie Weir and Francis Jeffers (technically a loan player for us).

One to go. 

2 hours ago, Bris Koyd said:

Match magazine football fact book :pipe:

Naw just flittering round the internet and noticing wee details. 

And basically making it up as I go along...........(no change there. :))

1 hour ago, Spectre said:

Purely on inflation about £120k but probably a lot more in football terms given inflation of transfer fees has skyrocketed 

It is difficult to evaluate, because in 1913 you could buy a house in London for £500, that would fetch over 10 Million today. I think someone scoring 6 hat tricks in the EPL would be worth over 50 Million today.

I think Rangers have won a competitive match at Anfield.  I've lost my database but I'm pretty sure our FA Cup victory at Everton at in the 1880's was before Everton left Anfield.

11 hours ago, tannerall said:

Pickles, Mark Falco, Kanchelskis, Robert Fleck and Duncan Ferguson, none James Beattie  and Sam English all wrong. 

"Was this in a domestic game ?"     Yes

"Premier League years ?    No

Clue 2) He scored his hat-trick for Everton in the league derby against Liverpool. 

No idea 

13 hours ago, tannerall said:

Now it gets interesting. 

"Scotsman Bobby Parker, signed from Glasgow Rangers in 1913 for a fee of £1,500, was Everton’s star man and top scorer, racking up 36 goals for the season. It was a total that constituted largely of an incredible six hat-tricks, one of which came in a 5-0 win at Anfield in October 1914. Shortly after he had fired his football club to the domestic title, he went off to serve his country on the battlefields. He returned with a bullet lodged in his back, an injury which prevented him from retaining his pre-war footballing ability."

Didn't he go on to become Spiderman ?

Oops, that was Peter Parker.