3 points off 2nd place

Bad Robot

Just now, The Ibrox Derry said:

Exactly and the quicker others have this realistic acceptance and stop deluding themselves the better. Not saying that you personally have been deluding yourself but there's a multitude out there that are.

I probably was up until the 5-1 game being honest . However we realistically with our squad should be aiming for second . The cup game will take care of its self , we somehow have to gain some belief and at least turn up that day and anything can happen . It's the only hope I have right now for it , but before that 6 points in the next two games is a must 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, cr3_bear said:

I probably was up until the 5-1 game being honest . However we realistically with our squad should be aiming for second . The cup game will take care of its self , we somehow have to gain some belief and at least turn up that day and anything can happen . It's the only hope I have right now for it , but before that 6 points in the next two games is a must 

I'm with you right down the line on this one. Realistic goal setting, prioritizing and the management being pragmatic with squad resources is vital moving forward now. 

9 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I'm with you right down the line on this one. Realistic goal setting, prioritizing and the management being pragmatic with squad resources is vital moving forward now. 

Still no reason as well for the players to not show up on old firm days etc and at least put up a fight and show what the jersey means to . All in all give me second place , a cup and a couple of wins against them this season and I will be a reasonably happy bear on the back of our poor start and give us the platform to build on from next season. Obviously all this is going to have to come on the back of some form finding and let's hope we can get that started on Saturday 

28 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I agree to an extent and would be a lot more reassured if I saw we'd learned from mistakes and trained our way through them.

Fwiw I think the last few team selections have been better than earlier in the season. And I thought out team looked up for it from the start yesterday which hasn't always been the case. 

But in terms of some of the basics:

Defending, crossing, shooting, taking decent corners, passing from the back, showing grit and determination, appearing fitter than opposition, etc to name but a few.

In these areas we are miles away and are not showing progress.

I do still believe MW can do well for us but he needs to sort out his mistakes and get his players playing to form. So few have played well over the course of the season so far and it's going to cost him his job if he can't find solutions. 

I think we looked better yesterday, much more assured on the ball but still making basic errors.

Unfortunately 'better' wasn't good enough to take anything from the game, and that's the worrying point for me.

Lack of a consistent starting 11 seems to be evident in how our play breaks down aswell, he needs to find his best 11 and go with it.

36 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

It's no where near good enough but on the same hand it's no where as bad as some are making out. MW needs to start picking and dropping the right players or he will learn the hard way once he's dropped but I don't think we're near that place yet.

Yeah i agree, it's not as bad as some are making out.

It's been a poor start to the season and we have had some rotten luck, but we can only dwell on that for so long.

The gaffer needs to wisen up and learn to adapt to the situation or he is going to find himself under intolerable pressure if the fans begin to turn against him in bigger numbers.

I like the gaffer and really want it to work out but his reluctance to change and lack of tactical nous is wearing the patience thin.

1 hour ago, cr3_bear said:

If we manage to win our next three games I will be surprised 

Thistle home and ict away can get us 6 points.

After that it's Hampden and that is the day there can be no hiding and players need to step it up. Get through this tie and that would be massive for confidence which we take into the next two league games.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Yeah i agree, it's not as bad as some are making out.

It's been a poor start to the season and we have had some rotten luck, but we can only dwell on that for so long.

The gaffer needs to wisen up and learn to adapt to the situation or he is going to find himself under intolerable pressure if the fans begin to turn against him in bigger numbers.

I like the gaffer and really want it to work out but his reluctance to change and lack of tactical nous is wearing the patience thin.

MW is a fairly young and inexperienced manager and that does show but I still really hope he gets it right. I didn't think Mccoist was the right choice and I never thought MW was as I just think our club should always be employing experienced managers.

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Sadly that's correct, which means it's going to be a disappointing season and I'm already not looking forward to the rest of this campaign. Nothing worse than being a long way behind those scum cunts. Winning both cups would make it slightly better, but the priority will always be the league and especially number 55.

Winning both cups would make only it slightly better? it will be nothing short of a miracle if we won both cups.

6 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

MW is a fairly young and inexperienced manager and that does show but I still really hope he gets it right. I didn't think Mccoist was the right choice and I never thought MW was as I just think our club should always be employing experienced managers.

Aye he is is inexperienced, i could be willing to excuse him for mistakes if he at least acknowledged his errors and at least tried to adapt to the situation.

Instead he seems rigid in how he wants to play the game and to me that is naivety at its best.

Teams learned how to play against us around Christmas time last year and we have consistently made the same errors.

3 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Aye he is is inexperienced, i could be willing to excuse him for mistakes if he at least acknowledged his errors and at least tried to adapt to the situation.

Instead he seems rigid in how he wants to play the game and to me that is naivety at its best.

Teams learned how to play against us around Christmas time last year and we have consistently made the same errors.

It is a worry as he doesn't seem to learn well not from what I've been watching lately.

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

Potentially ten off 1st but the facts are we're only 3 points from 2nd place so everyone needs to calm the fck down.

Yes we're missing chances and yes we could do with better defenders but there's a long way to go.

If we start slipping into the realms of 8,9,10 points behind 2nd then yes we have a massive problem with major decisions to make but we're not near that yet.

We're all frustrated but we just need to bide our time and 3 wins out of 3 for the next few games can really give us some believe again.

We fight on.

Ok mate, i'll just sit here and let the rage build quietly until we hit the 8 points off second mark because it will happen.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ok mate, i'll just sit here and let the rage build quietly until we hit the 8 points off second mark because it will happen.

I'm not to happy either and we seem to be currently on the wrong side of a thin margin.

Answer me this, if we had got the last minute winner yesterday, how would you have rated the game?

Would you have said were papering over the cracks or would you be saying overall it was a deserved victory ?

2 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

Potentially ten off 1st but the facts are we're only 3 points from 2nd place so everyone needs to calm the fck down.

Yes we're missing chances and yes we could do with better defenders but there's a long way to go.

If we start slipping into the realms of 8,9,10 points behind 2nd then yes we have a massive problem with major decisions to make but we're not near that yet.

We're all frustrated but we just need to bide our time and 3 wins out of 3 for the next few games can really give us some believe again.

We fight on.

I agree, realistically MW would deserve a magic hat if he could take a 4M team and go on to win the title from a 25M team. I still have hopes though. Team wise, I think they'll be fine. For those from the EPL Scottish football must seem like Shrovetide football at times, with opposition players charging at them when they have the ball, they need time to adjust.

1 hour ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Only 2 teams in British football history have won their top division the season after being promoted from the 2nd tier. Ipswich Town in 1962 under Bobby Robson (came up as champions) and Nottingham Forest in 1978 under Brian Clough (came up after finishing 3rd in division 2). For Warburton to do it in 2017 was always going to be a huge ask. As history shows, it just doesn't happen.

Have you been up researching that all night.......a very interesting point, mate, and does put it into perspective. From memory both those teams were very much on the way up.

19 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

It is a worry as he doesn't seem to learn well not from what I've been watching lately.

Either he is not learning well or the players just aren't responding to the analysis sessions enough.

Part of that problem could be that they just aren't good enough.

The board have a decision to make soon, back the gaffer with real money or take a different route.

Deal with reality guys and see where patience and building has taken us at end of season.  Excitability, negativity and instant demands will get us nowhere. Keep supporting team and Manager meanwhile.

Nothing to do with being happy at second place. It is dealing with the moment, not panicking about the future and gnashing the teeth.

We as Rangers are not back just yet, not complete, but our support and club are still great. Lets keep it that way, no implosions and stay strong while we build.

Just now, plumbGER said:

Either he is not learning well or the players just aren't responding to the analysis sessions enough.

Part of that problem could be that they just aren't good enough.

The board have a decision to make soon, back the gaffer with real money or take a different route.

I hope your not saying Joey has a point ? I've never understood the position of DK and his 2nd place expectations.

Does he really believe that he will assess us this season then magically invest enough for us to win 55 the following season. I don't get that thinking or is he holding back also to assess if MW has the capabilities also or is it all just one protracted falsehood.

2 minutes ago, will2203 said:

Have you been up researching that all night.......a very interesting point, mate, and does put it into perspective. From memory both those teams were very much on the way up.

I already knew that Forest had done it, but was at a Junior game yesterday and this lad was saying only Forest and Ipswich had done it. Obviously the game has changed enormously since those days. In the 60s and 70s, especially down south there wasn't much between 1st and 2nd division teams in terms of ability. The main difference was fitness. The cash gulf wasn't there either. When Clough left Derby (as Div 1 champions) he and Taylor went to Brighton who were bottom of the 3rd division, but had a very wealthy owner in Mike Bamber.