Steven Naismith

Ryan_1

What a rollercoaster ride he’s had since joining us back in the summer of 2007. A ride that’s probably had more downs than ups.

After arriving with the tag of ‘Scotland’s next big thing’ on his shoulders, he found the transition from Kilmarnock to Rangers as hard as some make it out to be. That in its self is a hard enough proposition, but also having to deal with a cruciate knee ligament injury that forced his first season with the club and the majority of his second to come to an abrupt end, it was an almost impossible task for Naisy’ to become the player everyone thought and in some ways expected him to be. It must have been a soul destroying time for the boy who grew up supporting the club he played for, but couldn’t produce what everyone knew he was capable of doing.

Eventually he put his injury problems behind him and the 2009/10 season was his chance to show the Rangers faithful exactly what the management team paid for! Unfortunately the injury seemed to have had more effect on him the he’d probably have imagined. His pace seemed to have gone, his touch, control...almost everything seemed to have deserted him. To be honest the majority of fans had almost given up on him and were by the end of the season, coupled with the financial situation at the time, starting to single out Steven as someone who may look to move on.

Maybe surprisingly to a few fans, he wasn’t moved on last summer and to me, it seemed like Steven himself found it a bit surprising. He seemed to take the faith shown in him by the management team and really got down to work in pre-season, because by god did he do some work! A completely transformed player this season, by a long mile. He’s found his pace again, his touch, control and also a knack of scoring crucial goals, which always comes in handy. He is actually one of the most important cogs in our system in both attack and in defence, that’s how much of a difference he has made over the summer.

He’s now found himself in a position, out on the right-hand side, where he can influence the game in an attacking sense but also help with his defensive duties at the same time. Going forward, he seems to find himself in little holes, which causes most defences at home and abroad problems. His link-up play with Kenny Miller in the first part of the season was at times spectacular and now in the run-in he’s found that same link-up play with Jelavic. When we’re playing good football, then more often than not he’s been heavily involved. Even his defensive duties have been extremely effective for us this season. He and at times it was only him that was doing it, but I think in the run-in we have adopted the approach more often and that is to press from the front. Press high-up the pitch and force your opponent into either a mistake or forcing them into a long ball. Naisy’ has been the focal point in that along with Lafferty and it’s why we’ve so successful in recent games. Opposing teams don’t know what’s hit them and by the time they do, they’re usually 1 or 2 goals down.

For Steven Naismith this season has been a tremendous success, especially after everything he’s been through. His season has been recognised by the fans and teammates in him winning both the Fans’ Players of the Year and Players’ Player of the Year awards at the club and I for one really do congratulate him on that. The type of guy he is though, all those awards and personal goals he’s achieved this season however will mean nothing if we don’t clinch the Championship this Sunday and how fitting is it that when we can actually clinch it at his old stomping ground – Rugby Park. It would really be the icing on the top of cake for the guy, but as he and the rest of the players and staff know, there’s still a game to be won. Just get the job done!

Been saying for ages he would be my first choice for captain next year. Been unbelievable for us this year.

My Dad actually said that during the Dundee United game, wouldn't be a particularly bad choice IMHO.

My favourte Rangers player, and the most talented Scottish player around right now. When Davis and him play well, we play well. Stevie took a period to settle in and a couple of seasons ago my 14 year old(then 12) asked who he should get on his Rangers Strip, and I said Naismith- he actually was worried his friends would laugh at him ! But I told him Naismith would come good, and he has. We laugh about that still. Naismith has great balance on the ball, is passing is second to none, and when you consider he cost less than half of a so-called footballer like Scott Brown you appreciate the bargain we picked up. For all the Fleck doubters on here as well: take note, he will come good like Naismith

When he first arrived I was delighted that we had signed him as I was a big fan of him at Killie and in his first few months at the club he showed some talent and looked like a player in the 4-3-3 formation but then he got injured and his Rangers career came to a halt.

One thing that I have noticed about him this season is he is a lot fitter and a lot stronger. Started the season like a house on fire, then he picked up a niggling injury and his formed dipped but since he came back into the side he has been terrific.

His best position is playing from the right hand side of midfield. He gets back, gets forward, comes inside, runs from deep, pops up in the hole and is very hard to pick up. 14 goals and a number of assists, can't argue with that.

He is the prime example of why we should not write players off and get behind them. Too many of our fans completely dismiss players after a few bad games (especially the youngsters) and when the crowd starts to get on their back their confidence crumbles! Just look at Edu this season and even people like Charlie Adam and Alan Hutton. Give them support and encouragement and they might come good.

He's just now starting to look the player we bought.

Injuries aside I think it's taken him time to adapt to his role in midfield. He was always a forward before.

Some of his strikes have clearly illustrated his forward prowess. I think the suggestion of him being a possible captain is one of the better ideas. He must be our most vocal player, Shagger maybe louder, but Naismith is usually in the thick of it, and that's exactly where we need our captain to be. IMO