UEFA and CVA

ogbg

I appreciate that this guy isn't very popular on here but he was right about Bill Miller eventually pulling out so I've started paying him more attention. Here is his latest bog post:

http://blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons-view/rangers-administrators-overoptimism/1435

In it, he says that UEFA have told him that a CVA leads to a 3 year ban just as much as a newco does:

Alarmingly D&P seem to think that if a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) is put in place as a way of rescuing Rangers by agreeing a deal with major creditors, then Rangers can play football in Europe somehow. I suggest they call UEFA urgently where I’ve talked in detail. UEFA insists a CVA is a change in legal status and means a three year ban – just like setting up a Newco: “It’s a loophole. We recognise it as a loophole and we wish to close it,” their spokesman told me late last week.

It’s critical to any proposed income flow at Ibrox and this morning the administrators are stressing this. Yes – they need to call UEFA.

Some have since pointed out that just because they intend to close a loophole doesn't mean they already have. However, on his twitter he has since posted this:

good pt - I asked and they say consider it closed. I shd've said.

Sure but I think everyone is expecting a euro ban anyway. I think it's a dead cert.

But the administrators seem to think that a CVA means no Euro ban. I'd like to know which one is true

But the administrators seem to think that a CVA means no Euro ban. I'd like to know which one is true

At the moment the admin's statement is true. According to AT & his "chat" with UEFA, they know it's a loophole they intend to close, but they can't just change their rules at the drop of a hat like AT suggests they have with the "consider it closed" comment. So long as a deal is done soon, quickly, then there'll be no Euro ban as they won't of been able to have a rule change meeting/vote.

At the moment the admin's statement is true. According to AT & his "chat" with UEFA, they know it's a loophole they intend to close, but they can't just change their rules at the drop of a hat like AT suggests they have with the "consider it closed" comment. So long as a deal is done soon, quickly, then there'll be no Euro ban as they won't of been able to have a rule change meeting/vote.

In the second quote he says that they already consider it closed

"UEFA insists a CVA is a change in legal status and means a three year ban – just like setting up a Newco: “It’s a loophole. We recognise it as a loophole and we wish to close it,” their spokesman told me late last week."

whats a loophole?

is he saying a CVA is a loophole to avoiding the 3 year ban? If so, then whats the fuckin problem, D&P are right, we will be in europe.

this guy is a bias dick who has a new found popularity with the scum who as the only journo who agreed to publish anti-rangers tripe to fit the agenda.

what he is saying is that any team going into admin then = 3 year ban, which simply isn't true. Real Mallorca were in admin last season and hence banned from the Eruopa this season, but thatst he extent of the ban. And a CVA clearly should not be the same punishment as a CVA. A CVA is basically just a cutting a deal on your debt. Why should that hold the same punishments as liquidating your company, not paying any of the debt, and then just starting a new club?

Guys an idiot.

In the second quote he says that they already consider it closed

They can't just consider it closed! There would have to be a rule change & that would take time to arrange a vote on!

No one knew this cunt before our admin and he has realised if he says what Timmy wants to hear they will wank at his feet giving him much needed attention. Ignore him, he proved how much an idiot he was on Radio Clyde. His opinion is a complete irrelevance.

They can't just consider it closed! There would have to be a rule change & that would take time to arrange a vote on!

This. (tu)

Someone should threaten AT with a fake Twitter account to make him see sense. Just for a laugh. :lol:

He's thriving on being " popular" with the rodents

He's a guy who nobody cares about, all of a sudden he writes about rangers and he's an instant celebrity with the goblins across the city

He is buzzing off this

Instead of being impartial and having views " sitting on the fence "

He's making it his ambition to make life difficult

Maybe he should take some time to look into celtics closet to see what skeletons he can find

Hmmm I'd say peadophillia and avoidance of image right tax should maybe be his next topic on the agenda

The current 3 year european 'ban' comes from having to have 3 years worth of audited accounts previous to UEFA licence application. A newco wouldn't have this (obviously) hence the 'ban' a CVA wouldn't affect the companies accounts so wouldn't affect the clubs right to play in Europe without a rule change which, as has been pointed out, would take time to be voted through.

The current 3 year european 'ban' comes from having to have 3 years worth of audited accounts previous to UEFA licence application. A newco wouldn't have this (obviously) hence the 'ban' a CVA wouldn't affect the companies accounts so wouldn't affect the clubs right to play in Europe without a rule change which, as has been pointed out, would take time to be voted through.

I think it comes from this:

Article 12

2 The membership and the contractual relationship (if any) must have lasted – at

the start of the licence season – for at least three consecutive years. Any

alteration to the club’s legal form or company structure (including, for example,

changing its headquarters, name or club colours, or transferring stakeholdings

between different clubs) during this period in order to facilitate its qualification on

sporting merit and/or its receipt of a licence to the detriment of the integrity of a

competition is deemed as an interruption of membership or contractual

relationship (if any) within the meaning of this provision.

Thomson's point seems to be that UEFA consider a CVA as a change to the club's legal form. I'm not really sure how they can see it that way though.

Under our current circumstances there will be no European football next season. Personally I would have thought that a CVA would have allowed us into Europe the following season, league position permitting of course.

I dont think a exiting admin can be deemed to be a change in legal status or anything like that.

Does anyone know of any other teams who have qualified for Europe within three years of exiting admin via a CVA?

David Hillier said that with a CVA we'd only be out of Europe next season and thats it, which is the complete opposite of what Alex Thomson is saying.

Who do you trust more?.... the very knowledable neutral non-Rangers hating Hillier or..... Alex Thomson?

My money is on Hillier.

Hmmm unhealthy obsession with us? Lookin for any chance to put us down and drag our name through the mud?

This cunt remind you of any other group of wallopers? :rolleyes:

After the twitter debacle you would think he would just fuck off :lol:

Thomson is a liar.

And also a man who appears to have swallowed the 'donegal' line of (un)reasoning on matters concerning The Rangers.

His act seems to be unravelling day by day. I won't ever understand his role up here, except to say that he must have been on to something that he thought was going to be Watergatesuque. He must be working on his exit strategy!

he said he asked Uefa......and the ban seems to include changes in financial structure (no direct quotes though)

I thought myself coming out of administration would have no Euro penalty....and only a new company would need 3 years with the local FA to be eligible for Europe

I'm thinking we'd need to clear what we owe to other football clubs especially Vienna first if we expect a bit of leeway there

but it's only a thought.....I don't know anything you guys don't know

Looks like absolute bollocks to me.

A CVA is basically a contract between creditors and the insolvent company (through its administrators). It is not a change of legal structure or form in the slightest.

The chances of a "UEFA spokesman" being clued up on this kind of thing are remote to say the least.