SPL in £100m tax “dodge”

boss

SPL in £100m tax “dodge”

Some extracts from the accounts of The Scottish Premier League Limited:

Income - £231million

Corporation tax paid - £nil

Last week Starbucks, Amazon and Google were roasted live by the Public Accounts Committee for their “immoral” tax avoidance schemes which enable these companies to trade in the UK but pay virtually no corporation tax. The PAC’s view was that these companies were “at it” and HMRC should investigate and clamp down hard.

Which brings us to the SPL. Since 1999 the SPL has declared income of £231,563,000. The amounts then paid out of this income to SPL clubs have only been disclosed in the accounts since 2010, but a reasonable estimate of such amounts based on my analysis of the accounts is £188,076,000. That’s £188million received by the SPL clubs and not one penny paid in corporation tax by the SPL.

How can that be so?

The normal situation for a company is: it makes a profit, it pays corporation tax on that profit, then anything that is left can be paid as a dividend to the shareholders. Anyone that owns shares in a company (say, BT) will know that when you receive a dividend, you also receive a voucher that shows tax has already been paid on that dividend.

The SPL does not treat these payments to the clubs (who are its shareholders) as dividends. Instead, they treat these payments as expenses and claim tax relief on these payments. So the SPL’s accounts end up showing a loss every year and no corporation tax to pay.

Based on the corporation tax rates throughout the period, the corporation tax that would otherwise have been due on £188million would have been in excess of £55million. If the SPL was subsequently found to have wrongly “dodged” corporation tax, you can add interest and penalties to that and the final bill would be more than £100million.

That is one hell of a lot of schools, hospitals, nurses and teachers. The hypocrisy of the SPL moralising over Rangers’ tax situation is breathtaking.

On receipt of the £188million, the clubs themselves have paid virtually no corporation tax, perhaps none at all. Most clubs either make losses, or have previously made losses that they can use against current profits, so they themselves generally have no corporation tax to pay.

All it would take would be for HMRC to revisit the SPL’s tax treatment (sound familiar?), change their view on the application of tax law (sound familiar?) and decide that tax should have been paid after all (sound familiar?). There but for the grace of HMRC go the SPL.

Of course, we would then have the hollow excuses from the SPL: “took professional advice”, “acted within the law at the time”, “HMRC changed the goalposts”, all of which again sounds pretty damn familiar.

There would be a delicious irony if such a fate befell the SPL, upon whose financial collapse HMRC sought to recover such tax from the clubs who were willing participants in the structure. As Pyramus might say: “Now die, die, die, die, die”.

This mess is best summed up by the PAC chairman, Margaret Hodge when referring to the serial tax "dodging" companies: “We are not accusing you of being illegal, we are accusing you of being immoral”. Perhaps she should call Mr Doncaster to appear before the committee for a roasting.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent stuff once again, boss.

I think we should all take a moment to thank you.

Cheers, dude.

The only thanks I want is for people to distribute this info as much as possible. Forums, media, the club, HMRC, etc. I don't want the glory - I merely want the SPL to die.

no it isnt IMO.

Tax avoidance os nowhere near as bad as match fixing.

Only taigs wanting to see Rangers dead and burried tow that party line mate.

Definitely nowhere near as bad as match fixing, but the whole tax avoidance stuff needs to go.

I don't think it's "morally reprehensible" particularly given that it's within the law to do so, but I can't for the life of me understand why any government would keep these loopholes open.

It's not the onus of the company to not tax avoid, it's the government's to make it unavailable as an option.

SPL in £100m tax “dodge”

The SPL does not treat these payments to the clubs (who are its shareholders) as dividends. Instead, they treat these payments as expenses and claim tax relief on these payments. So the SPL’s accounts end up showing a loss every year and no corporation tax to pay.

How are the payments made to member clubs in all the other leagues in Britain treated ??