Away fans - issues and concerns

For anyone who isn't already aware, I have been elected to the Rangers Fans Board to represent fans who attend away matches.

Rangers are creating email addresses for direct contact with the Fans Board Members but they will not be live until after the first meeting on 6 October. In the short term if anyone has any particular issues or concerns that affect “fans who attend away matches”, can they please post them here.

A number of points have been raised elsewhere, feel free to add anything else:

• Possible profiteering by charging Rangers fans higher than normal prices.
  • Children’s ticket availability and pricing.
  • Small allocations and how to divide between supporters’ buses and those who travel independently.
  • Short notice between being allocated a game and the payment getting taken.
  • Ticket allocation and pricing for Rangers v Celtic matches.
  • Buses leaving from Ibrox.
  • Policing & Stewarding at away matches particularly the FoCUS unit

If anyone has recent evidence of any of these situations can they please post here or PM me as appropriate.

Any ideas on communication aside from email would be helpful. It has already been suggested that Rangers "Book a hall x amount of times a year an away venue with an open invite to discuss issues." If Rangers did that say for Tynecastle would people be prepared to travel earlier to attend? I will be happy to travel on any Glasgow based bus at any time or attend any SC meetings in West Central Scotland (or possibly anywhere in fact subject to availablity) especially if there are any in the vicinity of away matches.

On a more general note, I have taken on board a number of comments about the RFB categories and would welcome any other comments about organisational issues since these will be discussed at the first meeting.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Poor interaction from the ticket office eg very rarely reply to questions via email.

2. Being treated akin to criminals eg being searched (patting down body) before Alloa game. Is this legal?

3. Rip off ticket and food/drink prices.

Possible profiteering. There is nothing worse on turning up to places like Tynecastle and Easter rd having paid £26 and £28 fv for a ticket then you look above the turnstile £16 for adults this is for every other week but we are getting charged £26 and £28.

Small allocations. I think supporters buses should get more for the small allocations away games after all they are running buses to the majority of the games then they get 3 or 4 tickets for small grounds how are they meant to run a bus to these games ? When it comes round to places like Kilmarnock away and they are getting 30 tickets or so when they maybe only 20 max regulars that go to away games. It's not Rangers losing out money it's RSC's that have loads of spares at £20+ pound a ticket.

Short Notice. On some occasions there's nothing much you can do like beating Caley Thistle and playing Falkirk a week after. For league games they should find out each allocation in the summer then send emails of a list of games you have been allocated like a few years back. Even if they send a email for first half of season and one for second half in say January time.

Ticket Pricing and Buses leaving Ibrox. Ticket pricing in Scottish football altogether is shocking that's the way it is. Buses leaving Ibrox wouldn't interest me as it's a lot less hassle going on a local supporters bus. There is plenty of RSC's roundabout ibrox surely they would be losing out if buses were leaving from ibrox. RSC struggle as it is use them or lose them.

Police and Stewarding. It's the fact they search only a couple of people what makes one fan different from another ? Like at Falkirk the other night a wee boy must have been 10 or 11 getting searched going in. Then you are getting cameras waved in your face entering the ground and supporting the team. This is what's killing the atmosphere and the fact we play poor most games. How you meant to enjoy football like this ?

Not sure if I have missed anything will post if I can think.

Possible profiteering. There is nothing worse on turning up to places like Tynecastle and Easter rd having paid £26 and £28 fv for a ticket then you look above the turnstile £16 for adults this is for every other week but we are getting charged £26 and £28.

Small allocations. I think supporters buses should get more for the small allocations away games after all they are running buses to the majority of the games then they get 3 or 4 tickets for small grounds how are they meant to run a bus to these games ? When it comes round to places like Kilmarnock away and they are getting 30 tickets or so when they maybe only 20 max regulars that go to away games. It's not Rangers losing out money it's RSC's that have loads of spares at £20+ pound a ticket.

Short Notice. On some occasions there's nothing much you can do like beating Caley Thistle and playing Falkirk a week after. For league games they should find out each allocation in the summer then send emails of a list of games you have been allocated like a few years back. Even if they send a email for first half of season and one for second half in say January time.

Ticket Pricing and Buses leaving Ibrox. Ticket pricing in Scottish football altogether is shocking that's the way it is. Buses leaving Ibrox wouldn't interest me as it's a lot less hassle going on a local supporters bus. There is plenty of RSC's roundabout ibrox surely they would be losing out if buses were leaving from ibrox. RSC struggle as it is use them or lose them.

Police and Stewarding. It's the fact they search only a couple of people what makes one fan different from another ? Like at Falkirk the other night a wee boy must have been 10 or 11 getting searched going in. Then you are getting cameras waved in your face entering the ground and supporting the team. This is what's killing the atmosphere and the fact we play poor most games. How you meant to enjoy football like this ?

Forgot Stenhousemuir putting food prices up for us last year and the Ramsden cup semi final getting charged £18 for standing in a car park on a freezing cold night.

I travel to away games (when I get tickets) and see no reason why I am not treated the same as any other fan no matter if they are in a supporters club. I go with my wife and daughter by car because it suits me to get there and back when I want. I understand the problem about RSCs running buses but if there are only a few tickets then why not link up with other RSCs or go by car?

I think away tickets should be issued on a points system, if you go every week you get a ticket. Simple.

I also think you should be able to put on your application your mates or other guys on your buses ST details, so that way you have a good chance of sitting next to them if they get the tickets aswell.

I think away tickets should be issued on a points system, if you go every week you get a ticket. Simple.

I also think you should be able to put on your application your mates or other guys on your buses ST details, so that way you have a good chance of sitting next to them if they get the tickets aswell.

Our RSC worked like that in the spl not sure if it still does as there is only about 7or 8 regulars at away games the now and usually ok for tickets. Like for games we got a smallish allocation the people on the top points get tickets and if there is 2 tied and only 1 ticket the 2 names go into a hat. Wouldn't be against a points system but would the folk that have been going to every game for years be happy compared to someone just started going to away games ? Think a few would complain.

Regular attendees should be rewarded and receive priority imo too.

We have done something similar with our season tickets and added our mates 2 tickets and you can link yhem on the siye, cant remember the name of it though and we get all our away to let's together. Although this is without a RSC.

1. Poor interaction from the ticket office eg very rarely reply to questions via email.

2. Being treated akin to criminals eg being searched (patting down body) before Alloa game. Is this legal?

3. Rip off ticket and food/drink prices.

1) I'll take that up but bear in mind that there are only 10 or 11 of them now compared with 30 two years ago and I know for a fact that a few weeks ago they had a backlog of 1,000 emails, although I understood they had caight up. They need more resources and that is a matter the RFB can put to the Club.

2) Yes I saw that at Alloa and thought it was OTT; BUT some fans don't help thesmselves being sarcy to stewards who are paid a pittance and only doing what they are told to do.

3) Agreed this is a big issue.

All noted, thanks for detailed and helpful reply.

Pricing is definitely an issue and I think it's one for the SPFL although they will bat it back to the Clubs and it may just be down to supply and demand. We charge more for Hibs and Hearts than other league games so I would expect them to do the same when we come calling; but not as much as £10 more.

Berwick got stick for putting prices up to £15 for the second gamne in 2102/13 but the policing was so OTT that they only made £4.50 out of ewach £10 ticket for the first game and I wouldn't grudge a club like that a few quid.

Thanks again.

All noted, thanks for detailed and helpful reply.

Pricing is definitely an issue and I think it's one for the SPFL although they will bat it back to the Clubs and it may just be down to supply and demand. We charge more for Hibs and Hearts than other league games so I would expect them to do the same when we come calling; but not as much as £10 more.

Berwick got stick for putting prices up to £15 for the second gamne in 2102/13 but the policing was so OTT that they only made £4.50 out of ewach £10 ticket for the first game and I wouldn't grudge a club like that a few quid.

Thanks again.

Can I also add that not all clubs should be tarred with the same brush.

At Alloa the admission price opainted above the turnstiles was £18 and that was the price of my ticket.

Forgot Stenhousemuir putting food prices up for us last year and the Ramsden cup semi final getting charged £18 for standing in a car park on a freezing cold night.

I think putting up food prices is inexcusable but not sure that Stenhousemuir can be held responsible for the weather. :dry:

Well done hope it goes well

I would like to thank everyone on Rangers Media who supported my election to the Rangers Fans Board.

As most of you know, I have followed Rangers for more than 50 years and watched them play all over Scotland and in 21 countries in Europe; but I have never been more proud than being elected to this position. It is a truly humbling experience. I will do my level best to justify the confidence that has been placed in me.

Whilst I have been elected to represent “Fans who attend away games”, I will play my part in raising issues and concerns to the Club from the wider fan base.

I understand that Rangers will be publishing email addresses for all members of the Fans Board after the fist meeting on 6 October and I am sure that they will be well used!

I have been assured that the Fans Board will be much more than just a talking shop. I for one am determined to ensure that it is a valuable source of two-way communication between the fans and the Club. I look forward to working with all my Board colleagues to make it a meaningful and successful body.

I travel to away games (when I get tickets) and see no reason why I am not treated the same as any other fan no matter if they are in a supporters club. I go with my wife and daughter by car because it suits me to get there and back when I want. I understand the problem about RSCs running buses but if there are only a few tickets then why not link up with other RSCs or go by car?

It's clear that this is a contentious and difficult issue.

I am meeting Susan Hannah, the Ticket Office Manager tomorrow and my first step is to find out exactly how they go about allocating tickets between the competing categories and don't forget the players, management, directors, corporates and sponsors all have etheir fingers in the same pile of tickets.

There is another aspect of this which I will raise and that is the fact that you only cancel two away tickets a season. So there may well be cases where someone has already cancelled two for legitimate reasons and then goes on holiday and is not allowed to cancel a (third) ticket, so (a) he has to pay for it and (b) it lies unused behind his door.

1) I'll take that up but bear in mind that there are only 10 or 11 of them now compared with 30 two years ago and I know for a fact that a few weeks ago they had a backlog of 1,000 emails, although I understood they had caight up. They need more resources and that is a matter the RFB can put to the Club.

2) Yes I saw that at Alloa and thought it was OTT; BUT some fans don't help thesmselves being sarcy to stewards who are paid a pittance and only doing what they are told to do.

3) Agreed this is a big issue.

Being sarcy is not against the law.

btw good luck mate (tu)

I like both these ideas.

That's how it works for "away" European games, so no reason why it shouldn't work for away games in Scotland as well.

There is or used to be a "friendship" section on the ST form but I think it only applied to cup semis and finals; not sure if the TO have the capacity to do that but it's worth asking the question.

Thanks for two good points.

Away ticket priority should be given to ST holders

Boycotters should not get away tickets under any circumstances

That's a very reasonable point of view IMHO.

What about folks who didn't buy an ST but still go every week?

Isn't the points suggestion better?

There are also some people who by the nature of their work or location or simply for financial reasons have to pick and choose when they can attend home or away games, how would you deal with them?