Spain V Scotland

G.E.C.

Fair enough, it's a hard call between all three.

Always preferred Mata because Silva was very inconsistent. Watched both players for years because I like Valencia.

Over the last year or so Silva has probably been better overall, but I think Mata will have an excellent career at Chelsea.

I'd pretty much agree with that mate, i like Mata because i think he's more direct and attacks with a bit more pace and skill, a more Messi type player than Silva, it's the english press as well who have helped Silva's career, i think they'll do the same for Mata once he starts showing what he's made of.

Just hope Ally's signing their wee brothers if they've got any :(:lol:

Think he would take it?

No.

Souness hates the modern day footballer and constantly gives off the impression that he want's nothing more to do with any of it. Why would a near 60 year old man, who has been out of management for five years and probably earns more as a pundit for sky want to take the Scotland job?

And on top of that the Scotland job comes with a massive media spotlight over you, a lot of pressure and (IMO) unrealistic expectations and he stated as recently as last weekend in his column that the pressure he was under when managing Newcastle, another job that comes with a massive media spotlight, lot's of pressure and unrealistic expectations, helped him decide that he wanted to retire from management.

Thats simply nonsense Nic.

I disagree, I think he's terrible. When he gets the ball you never know what he's going to do, and I don't think he knows what he's going to do. His lack of composure and intelligence really shines through at times in my opinion.

He did score a fucker of a drive against Manchester United last season though.

I'd pretty much agree with that mate, i like Mata because i think he's more direct and attacks with a bit more pace and skill, a more Messi type player than Silva, it's the english press as well who have helped Silva's career, i think they'll do the same for Mata once he starts showing what he's made of.

Just hope Ally's signing their wee brothers if they've got any :(:lol:

Did you not here pat neven? it was as if he had scouted him the way he was going on about silva. says he thinks silva is the best player in England aswell.

People slag the English press for talking players up but so do the Scottish press, I'm not talking about silva but, just in general. When Scotland are playing and they get a result they start talking about how they can, do this & do that. They talk up players like Darren fletcher, Barry Bannan, and Gary Caldwell etc.

If they get a corner against a team like spain or france, "there making a big improvement" It's embarrassing. And no wonder we don't get anywhere in international football if, the commentators, coaches & the media in this country think Gary Caldwell is good.

I disagree, I think he's terrible. When he gets the ball you never know what he's going to do, and I don't think he knows what he's going to do. His lack of composure and intelligence really shines through at times in my opinion.

He did score a fucker of a drive against Manchester United last season though.

Fair play, thats your opinion. If thats what you think of Morrison, i would love to know what you think of Bannan, Fletcher and Adam who i feel are all guilty of those failures you mention.

Im not sure terrible players get linked with Chelsea tbh.

Fair play, thats your opinion. If thats what you think of Morrison, i would love to know what you think of Bannan, Fletcher and Adam who i feel are all guilty of those failures you mention.

Im not sure terrible players get linked with Chelsea tbh.

I like Bannan. He's obviously still inexperienced and a bit raw but he's got some pace, he's decent technically and I think he could develope into a very good player if he gets enough matches at Aston Villa. Playing him right midfield is pretty questionable though.

For the most part, Fletcher does fuck all for Scotland yet he seems to get man of the match pretty much whenever he plays. He touched the ball about 8 times against Liechtenstein yet he was still rated as the best player on the park by pundits. He's obviously a decent player but for us to be building a team around him is slightly depressing as the main reason he's good for Manchester United is that he's surrounded by players much better than him, which isn't the case for Scotland.

I like Adam as well, fair enough he fails to pull off some of the ambitious shit he goes for but he's got a great left foot and he should definitely be in our team.

I'm just not sure what Morrison brings to the team. He kind of floats about without ever really influencing the game. At least Naismith gets into good positions in the final third even though he sometimes doesn't have the ability to take advantage of it.

I like Bannan. He's obviously still inexperienced and a bit raw but he's got some pace, he's decent technically and I think he could develope into a very good player if he gets enough matches at Aston Villa. Playing him right midfield is pretty questionable though.

For the most part, Fletcher does fuck all for Scotland yet he seems to get man of the match pretty much whenever he plays. He touched the ball about 8 times against Liechtenstein yet he was still rated as the best player on the park by pundits. He's obviously a decent player but for us to be building a team around him is slightly depressing as the main reason he's good for Manchester United is that he's surrounded by players much better than him, which isn't the case for Scotland.

I like Adam as well, fair enough he fails to pull off some of the ambitious shit he goes for but he's got a great left foot and he should definitely be in our team.

I'm just not sure what Morrison brings to the team. He kind of floats about without ever really influencing the game. At least Naismith gets into good positions in the final third even though he sometimes doesn't have the ability to take advantage of it.

I dont see the wee mans pace tbh. I dont rate him, really dont see the fuss.

One could count Fletchers good Scotlands games on one hand. An imposter imo.

I also like Adam but he struggles when his midfield team mates struggle and set pieces are in short supply.

Thought Hutton was poor tonight and caught out of position a few times. You could see he was trying to cover for the Chuckle Brothers playing centre half though.

Goodwillie should've squared his chance but took his penalty really well.

Naismith pissed around a few times in defence that could've turned awful.

Gary Caldwell and Christophe Berra were rotten.

One thing I noticed was the gap in team work between the two teams tonight. Thought if they had been better prepared tactically, it could've been a closer game.

Tonight never cost Scotland, two games against the Czechs were the the turning point results really. He got the tactics wrong in Prague, home game he can certainly be considered unlucky and three points there would have been the difference.

I never said Levein hadn't made mistakes but he's done decent enough to give it a go for the 2014 World Cup, maybe it's just because I'm not into international football to the extent where I haven't gpt the passion to call for a managers head, but I just think when it's been so long without qualification there's no point in changing the manager after ever failure to get to a tournement.

Tonight never cost Scotland, two games against the Czechs were the the turning point results really. He got the tactics wrong in Prague, home game he can certainly be considered unlucky and three points there would have been the difference.

I never said Levein hadn't made mistakes but he's done decent enough to give it a go for the 2014 World Cup, maybe it's just because I'm not into international football to the extent where I haven't gpt the passion to call for a managers head, but I just think when it's been so long without qualification there's no point in changing the manager after ever failure to get to a tournement.

I think it's just because it's a massive transitional period for Scotland, with alot of potenial after years of failure.

It is key we believe we have the right man.

Levein hasn't filled everyone with confidence.

I think it's just because it's a massive transitional period for Scotland, with alot of potenial after years of failure.

It is key we believe we have the right man.

Levein hasn't filled everyone with confidence.

I don't see who is the right man, it's always going to be someone with a fairly decent track record in England (Burley) or a successful SPL manager with a smaller club (Levein), there's a lack of any real class out there when it comes to available Scottish managers, and I can't see them inviting someone like Walter back when it would be a short term fix nor do I know if he's want the job again.

There's a few Scottish managers in the Premiership I know but none of them are going to leave for the national team (not that Kean would ever earn the right to be invited).

I don't see who is the right man, it's always going to be someone with a fairly decent track record in England (Burley) or a successful SPL manager with a smaller club (Levein), there's a lack of any real class out there when it comes to available Scottish managers, and I can't see them inviting someone like Walter back when it would be a short term fix nor do I know if he's want the job again.

There's a few Scottish managers in the Premiership I know but none of them are going to leave for the national team (not that Kean would ever earn the right to be invited).

It certainly would be tough to find a suitable manager..But I think it's key we know we have the right man in charge. It'd be a huge boost to Scottish football to have us back in international competitions.

Like I said, I don't think it's Levein.

Thing is though the last two campaigns have been excellent chances to qualify, arguably our best.

Nobody expected anything from us when we drew Italy, France and Ukraine. Me and my brother were always saying how there was a slight chance because both were in transition with their ageing squads, which turned out to be the case.

People talk about the constant failures since France 98, but forget important aspects in all the campaigns since then.

Euro 2000 - Made play-off's and lost out to England

WC 2002 - Narrowly lost out to Belgium, Croatia. Last minute goal from Belgium practically knocked us out.

Euro 2004 - Defeated by Holland in the play-off's

WC 2006 - Campaign was over after first three games before Berti got sacked

Euro 2008 - Group with France/Italy and came so close

WC 2010 - Very poor campaign under Burley

Euro 2012 - Another poor campaign under Levein

Out of those 7 tournaments our worst campaigns have been due to bad managers in Vogts, Burley and Levein. We have no right to expect to top groups but second place is always a real possibility unless two massive nations are in our group, which has not been the case apart from Euro 2008.

Managers have come in out of the blue like Smith, McLeish, Brown and did a good job straight away. People are saying Levein needs time but his situation was very similar to Brown's first campaign. Both took over in December with their first competitive campaigns starting the following September and Brown took us to Euro 96, then 98.

There is no doubt in my mind if we had the appropriate manager in place for those last two qualification processes we would have made the play-off's in both. Burley was never the answer, nor is Levein. Strachan would be better suited.

No matter how you doll it up, it is always going to be failure if we don't make the competition. Though you are right, our past two groups have been our best chances since France 98.

Especially the group which we just lost out on qualification in. Levein approached the Czechs on past reputation, and shat it in most away games.

I keep saying it, but I do not think Levein should lead us through this transitional period.