Interviews

GeeSS

34 minutes ago, Bydo said:

I just said this in another thread, but this is possibly a more appropriate one.

The story goes that all other candidates turned up with a wee notepad and a pen and talked up their skills, whereas Pedro turned up with a 30 min powerpoint. That was enough to 'wow' the board.

Madness if true, and smacks of the work of a conman.

Source?

But what you're saying is one guy went to the effort of meticulously preparing for interview and (factoring in English wasn't his natural language) on explaining his vision, expectations, strengths and weaknesses whereas the others just rocked on up?

And it's a negative the Board chose the former?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Again It says more about the interview panel as their short list of 4 was pretty fucking dire and McInnes nowhere near it 

One of the only things the board have got right so far is not touching that shitebag McInnes with a bargepole.

Just now, RFC Eagle said:

That sounds like utter shite and if they turn up with a notebook and pen then, as an interviewer you'd think they were utterly disinterested and less than ready for an interview. 

Maybe the process should have been more rigorous, most interviews for senior positions are. My last interview process included 3 phone/Skype interviews, 1 face to face,  2 online assessments and a call from one of the company vice-presidents. A presentation should be the minimum requirement.

Strange how a professional and organised approach can become a negative for some. Interviewees for the job would, almost invariably, be expected to present their ideas to the panel and should prepare appropriately. 

That's not what he's saying mate there's no harm in Pedro showing up well prepared for an interview and coming across well it's the boards fault for being taken in by fancy talk rather than merit or achievements 

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Source?

But what you're saying is one guy went to the effort of meticulously preparing for interview and (factoring in English wasn't his natural language) on explaining his vision, expectations, strengths and weaknesses whereas the others just rocked on up?

And it's a negative the Board chose the former?

Heard from a boy the other night that we turned down Guardiola because the fonts he used weren't shiny enough.

Shocking if true.

8 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

That sounds like utter shite and if they turn up with a notebook and pen then, as an interviewer you'd think they were utterly disinterested and less than ready for an interview. 

Maybe the process should have been more rigorous, most interviews for senior positions are. My last interview process included 3 phone/Skype interviews, 1 face to face,  2 online assessments and a call from one of the company vice-presidents. A presentation should be the minimum requirement.

Strange how a professional and organised approach can become a negative for some. Interviewees for the job would, almost invariably, be expected to present their ideas to the panel and should prepare appropriately. 

I'm not suggesting that it can't be a positive that someone prepared well for an interview- lord knows I've had to do it on numerous occasions. The difference is, within my presentations, I have hard evidence that I can do the job they're looking for, backed up with data and facts.

Pedro may well have talked a good game, and he may have come across as a very likable chap- but one thing he does not have is results and experience that would make me, as an interview panel member, confident that he was up to the job.

Stuart Robertson promised us the 'highest calibre of manager' when MW left. Nobody on the planet can tell me that's what we got.

The person who told me the story was given the impression from his source that the actual prep and delivery of the meeting was held in more importance than the footballing experience of the other candidates- that's my issue with the whole thing.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

That's not what he's saying mate there's no harm in Pedro showing up well prepared for an interview and coming across well it's the boards fault for being taken in by fancy talk rather than merit or achievements 

Bingo.

You're normally a bit more objective than that.

First this interview process with the 4 individuals "as the story goes" has been mentionned AFAIK.

Seems to support an agenda without there being any substance to it unless I've missed more than the poster above.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The story suggests the others weren't prepared though. It doesn't say much for their interest in the job or suitability to turn up with a notebook and pen.

I can see the point of the story if it was that the flashiest most colourful presentation won rather than the one with the best content. That would be easier to believe than 'powerpoint v notebook and pen.'

8 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

One of the only things the board have got right so far is not touching that shitebag McInnes with a bargepole.

That's your opinion and that's fine I think he's better than Pedro by a country mile.

1 minute ago, RFC Eagle said:

The story suggests the others weren't prepared though. It doesn't say much for their interest in the job or suitability to turn up with a notebook and pen.

I can see the point of the story if it was that the flashiest most colourful presentation won rather than the one with the best content. That would be easier to believe than 'powerpoint v notebook and pen.'

No idea about the note pad stuff but Pedro came prepared, hungry, wanted the job and sold himself well to the idiots who bought it 

3 minutes ago, Bydo said:

I'm not suggesting that it can't be a positive that someone prepared well for an interview- lord knows I've had to do it on numerous occasions. The difference is, within my presentations, I have hard evidence that I can do the job they're looking for, backed up with data and facts.

Pedro may well have talked a good game, and he may have come across as a very likable chap- but one thing he does not have is results and experience that would make me, as an interview panel member, confident that he was up to the job.

The person who told me the story was given the impression from his source that the actual prep and delivery of the meeting was held in more importance than the footballing experience of the other candidates- that's my issue with the whole thing.

I see where you are coming from it your source that seems to be using rather more hyperbole than needed to make the point.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

You're normally a bit more objective than that.

First this interview process with the 4 individuals "as the story goes" has been mentionned AFAIK.

Seems to support an agenda without there being any substance to it unless I've missed more than the poster above.

Sorry I've no idea what you mean dude  ?

are you saying this story about Pedro showing up well at an interview and getting the job off the back of it is an agenda? If anything Pedro is getting the credit for that ... my gripe on this instance is with the board 

I think the story is utter shite, but if there was any truth to it, I'd be a bit more annoyed if we'd turned down a load of successful managers.

We were never going to bring in a highly successful manager.  We can't afford one and the league we play in just doesn't attract them.

I'd be confident that all the managers we interviewed probably have around the same success rate as Pedro.

Just now, K.A.I said:

are you saying this story about Pedro showing up well at an interview and getting the job off the back of it is an agenda? If anything Pedro is getting the credit for that ... my gripe on this instance is with the board 

I would like to echo what KAI says here. I don't have an agenda against Pedro- I want him to succeed more than anything, otherwise I wouldn't have just paid another £500 for my ST. The problem here is the board who have, as it stands, made a pretty bad decision.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

No idea about the note pad stuff but Pedro came prepared, hungry, wanted the job and sold himself well to the idiots who bought it 

Thats pretty much what interviews are about. I've been on a few panels myself. Sometimes it works sometimes you fall on your arse. 

I'd rather they'd had a couple of people who actually understood football on the panel. It would be like HR people assessing my suitability for a scientific job. Thats probably why they were impressed by flashy slides.

Just now, Bydo said:

I would like to echo what KAI says here. I don't have an agenda against Pedro- I want him to succeed more than anything, otherwise I wouldn't have just paid another £500 for my ST. The problem here is the board who have, as it stands, made a pretty bad decision.

I agree; the criticism is not personal, at least I hope it isn't, but how he is as a manager- his record before he came; his record of his time here; and how he deals with things at a media and player level; for me that is where I am critical of his appointment. The thought that any Rangers fans wants him to fail is ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Thats pretty much what interviews are about. I've been on a few panels myself. Sometimes it works sometimes you fall on your arse. 

I'd rather they'd had a couple of people who actually understood football on the panel. It would be like HR people assessing my suitability for a scientific job. Thats probably why they were impressed by flashy slides.

Don't disagree at all 

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Don't fucking call me Dude!!!!

?

No I'm saying we don't know anything about the interview process than what one poster know from his pal whose source (who I'd imagine wasn't one of likely 3 people in the room) told him.

Now people are starting to take it as fact.

The poster above did it in a "he got the job cos he could present not on ability" way.

You seem to accept it and see it as a negative on the Boards processes and abilities.

I think it's likely shit or rumour.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

?

No I'm saying we don't know anything about the interview process than what one poster know from his pal whose source (who I'd imagine wasn't one of likely 3 people in the room) told him.

The poster above did it in a "he got the job cos he could present not on ability" way.

You seem to accept it and see it as a negative on the Boards processes and abilities.

It was Eskbank that told me in person about it - he's not one with an agenda 

It was Eskbank that told me in person about it - he's not one with an agenda 

5 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

?

I never intended it to be presented as fact- although the fact that it's been corroborated by other pretty reputable sources makes me wonder even more.

What is definitely true is that there are a number of sources close to the club that are thinking he's talked himself into a job too big for him and that's not a good sign.

I don't think you really grasp how low we are in the football food chain now. We don't hold a candle to what we use to be. 

we are one of the giants of the footballing world by being domestically the most successful club but we're not that club right now and unless the tv deals and money calms down it ain't ever going to happen again. I mean we signed a player for 1.8million. Now it may seem daft the taigs parade dembele around as being 40million, when they likely won't even get a 1/4th of that. The thing is is if he was down south, and it was between 2 english clubs, he would sell for that because they have more money than sense down south. 

Man U spent 89.3 million on 1 player, and they've finished 6th in the league. We can't compete with money like that and any decent talent we find will get snatched by a english club in no time. A rising youth, Billy Gilmour got bought by Chelsea for 500,000 quid. That's a boy that could've done us a favour or two in future. If we got for example, the next Brian Laudrup by complete accident, paying only half a million for him. and he went on to do us an absolute favour then you can bet that a english club will just come, offer some ridiculous money and take him. And not even a Premier League side, even the championship sides can easily outspend us.

It really comes down to money, and because of that it's made us pretty insignificant. There's no chance we'll spend 20 million or more on a player any time soon, meanwhile a championship side will just throw that in a heartbeat. 

2 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

I don't think you really grasp how low we are in the football food chain now. We don't hold a candle to what we use to be. 

we are one of the giants of the footballing world by being domestically the most successful club but we're not that club right now and unless the tv deals and money calms down it ain't ever going to happen again. I mean we signed a player for 1.8million. Now it may seem daft the taigs parade dembele around as being 40million, when they likely won't even get a 1/4th of that. The thing is is if he was down south, and it was between 2 english clubs, he would sell for that because they have more money than sense down south. 

Man U spent 89.3 million on 1 player, and they've finished 6th in the league. We can't compete with money like that and any decent talent we find will get snatched by a english club in no time. A rising youth, Billy Gilmour got bought by Chelsea for 500,000 quid. That's a boy that could've done us a favour or two in future. If we got for example, the next Brian Laudrup by complete accident, paying only half a million for him. and he went on to do us an absolute favour then you can bet that a english club will just come, offer some ridiculous money and take him. And not even a Premier League side, even the championship sides can easily outspend us.

It really comes down to money, and because of that it's made us pretty insignificant. There's no chance we'll spend 20 million or more on a player any time soon, meanwhile a championship side will just throw that in a heartbeat. 

No-one disputes that but you get back to the top by making correct decisions on and off the park and we haven't made one yet 

6 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

At face value what you write sound's very agreeable but it is wrong; it ignores the fact that this club has not just gone through a great deal in the past six years, but it absorbed it, has a vibrant support, and still does not settle easily for second best. There is a restlessness at this club that won't go away till we succeed. Still the same old Rangers, and anyone associated with this club should take heed that this club demands to be first, in terms of success and how the club does things. We are still big players, and if someone came along with the proper investment, and had a proper vision for this club, in a practical sense, then we would make waves again. It never took a lot in the past to change the direction of this club, and it wouldn't really take a lot next time. But do we do need the right people to deliver that.