***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

5 hours ago, TMB said:

Messi is the best of all time?  He might not even be the best in his own time.

Ronaldo has won the Ballon d'Or 4 times in the last 5 years.  He's won the Champions League 4 times in the last 5 years.  He's been the top scorer in the Champions League 6 years running.  Ronaldo has also been carrying Portugal with his goals in this World Cup including a very special hat-trick against Spain.  Let's also not forget that Ronaldo was very special in English football with Man United winning just about everything with them and had a 42 goal season in 2007/08. 

I remember Rivaldo being called the best player in World football but after he left Barcelona and went to AC Milan he sat on the subs bench.  If Messi is so good let's see him leave Barcelona, move to a different club in a different country, and go dominate world football there.  I think doing it in two different countries would add more credibility to this 'best of all time' label.

Hahahahaha. 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argentina were completely void of ideas... their only tactic seems to be to find Messi... Iceland had THREE players on him at all times.. a proper manager would have put dybala on and played him on the other side as there was so much space....but they just continued to try and find Messi. Iceland couldnt beloeve their luck. Apart from the shite tactics they were also embarrassing for second (third?) goal when the guy had all the time in the world to just slot it home... the defence were to busy trying to claim it was offside.... midfield wasnt interested in tracking back either... they were a total shambles from start to finish. I hope they lose the last game as well.

Just now, Inigo said:

Yet again the big team is looking anything but convincing thus far.

Yep. I was just assuming they were slow starters but.... something just seems wrong with a lot of the big teams.. Are the "small" teams just getting better? 

5 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Yep. I was just assuming they were slow starters but.... something just seems wrong with a lot of the big teams.. Are the "small" teams just getting better? 

I think so.

That and I think the big teams generally have a little less quality than they used to. There's a lack of invention and clinical finishing.

I think the referees being very, very lenient helps the smaller teams too.

I'm starting to wonder if sin bins would be a good idea. Clearly refs are under instruction to try to are keep 22 players on the pitch, which I can understand as sendings off spoil games, but as always players don't go with the spirit of that, act the cunt and it doesn't work. 

Maybe sin bins would be worth a try. 5 minutes for a cynical pull back or trip maybe? That kind of thing.

Cynicism is one reason you don't see dribbles any more. 

I feel for young people. They watch a one dimensional game, whereas we used to get tackles and aggression and dribbles and styles and long passes and short. Now it's just a short pass to death game. 

To me it's like the difference between men's and women's tennis, where women's always seems more one dimensional, less variety, less interesting than men's.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I'm starting to wonder if sin bins would be a good idea. Clearly refs are under instruction to try to are keep 22 players on the pitch, which I can understand as sendings off spoil games, but as always players don't go with the spirit of that, act the cunt and it doesn't work. 

Maybe sin bins would be worth a try. 5 minutes for a cynical pull back or trip maybe? That kind of thing.

There's not much about rugby union that I admire, but I always thought the sin bin was a sound idea. 

1 minute ago, Trooblue said:

There's not much about rugby union that I admire, but I always thought the sin bin was a sound idea. 

Works there. Works with ice hockey. Worth a punt maybe.

Archived