***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

Just now, Boaby Bear said:

Messi lover. He has done fuck all for tge Argies. Touched the ball 20 times in tge first half, Ronaldo probably touches it less but his impact is there to see. No excuses hes a wee tippy tappy dribbly wank. 

You are a sad individual. 

Why can people not appreciate that we have two of footballs greatest playing at the same time?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dummiesoot said:

You are a sad individual. 

Why can people not appreciate that we have two of footballs greatest playing at the same time?

Cause there is no room for the two best players. Ronaldo imo all day long, hes an all round machine take away Messis dribbling ability and what ya got? 

3 minutes ago, Boaby Bear said:

Cause there is no room for the two best players. Ronaldo imo all day long, hes an all round machine take away Messis dribbling ability and what ya got? 

Superb passing, vision, control and finishing.

I don't know why I'm so surprised, given I watched this Argentina side stumble their way through qualification

No direction, no game plan, no strategy. Nobody makes space for Messi - the team is full of people who want want want the ball. Sampaoli thought he could get away with just putting a few quality players on the pitch and hoping they do something. Can't do that. 

The difference between Ronaldo/Portugal and Messi/Argentina is incredible. Portugal actually play to Ronaldo's strengths - everything rotates around him and, they're solid at the back so when he's having a rare off-day the defence rarely leaks goals. Argentina don't. They rely on Messi massively but don't do enough to support him. 

At Barcelona, every single footballer on the pitch knows they play FOR Messi basically. 

3 minutes ago, Boaby Bear said:

:lol: 

I know folk compare the 2 and their impact on games etc, but I have never ever saw someone claim that Cristiano Ronaldo can pass a ball better than Lionel Messi. 

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Also though, Messi is the only one that's proper top rung, whereas Croatia have two in Modric and Rakitic.

And they two (with Brozovic) going up against an old Mascherano and Perez in midfield is a complete mis-match!

Just now, psb07158 said:

:lol: 

I know folk compare the 2 and their impact on games etc, but I have never ever saw someone claim that Cristiano Ronaldo can pass a ball better than Lionel Messi. 

Where did i claim this? Clearly making shit up. 

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

I don't know why I'm so surprised, given I watched this Argentina side stumble their way through qualification

No direction, no game plan, no strategy. Nobody makes space for Messi - the team is full of people who want want want the ball. Sampaoli thought he could get away with just putting a few quality players on the pitch and hoping they do something. Can't do that. 

The difference between Ronaldo/Portugal and Messi/Argentina is incredible. Portugal actually play to Ronaldo's strengths - everything rotates around him and, they're solid at the back so when he's having a rare off-day the defence rarely leaks goals. Argentina don't. They rely on Messi massively but don't do enough to support him. 

At Barcelona, every single footballer on the pitch knows they play FOR Messi basically. 

Although to be fair he has genuine world class players around him at Barcelona

1 minute ago, Boaby Bear said:

Nullified the dribbling tonight and none of this was on show. 

I thought we were talking about his career. He clearly has all of those things.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Why do people go all Blur v Oasis on this pair?

It's clearly nuts to deny either is anything but superb, top drawer of all time.

Agreed. Blur and Ronaldo are obviously the answers.

2 minutes ago, sRcFoCt said:

Yep not as sensitive as you probably greeting into your Barca top with Messi on the back watching that world cup performance 

There's that reversing through puberty thing again. So strange.

4 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

Although to be fair he has genuine world class players around him at Barcelona

It's so weird that Argentina have suddenly got this array of attacking talent but such a dearth of defensive and midfield talent

Well, tbf they do have decent young players like Pavon and Lo Celso, but Sampaoli doesn't start them.  I can't believe Lo Celso hasn't had a game yet. Cesc Fabregas was spot on at half time

2 minutes ago, tm91 said:

This is it, basically. Argentina don't adapt to Messi, they just blindly hope he can get them out of trouble every game.

We're getting to the point now where you can start to safely say that Argentina has wasted Leo Messi. They've been given arguably the greatest professional footballer the world has ever known and he's completely wasted on them. Maradona only won a World Cup because he had an excellent manager and a structured side around him. Messi has had shit managers no structure, no tactical nous and an incompetent FA his entire stint. And he's still their top scorer ever.

If I was manager of Argentina and saw Messi flourish at club level, I'd have replicated whatever the fuck Barca play into the national team. I know that's easier said than done, but would have at least attempted it. 

Although in saying that mate, they were one Higuain-fluffed-chance away from winning the World Cup in 2014 and a bawhair away from a couple of Copa Americas. 

Archived