The Media Agenda

BridgeIsBlue

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found this horrendous excuse of an article about Morelos in the Guardian.

"O'Rangers" " $tevie Mbe", what the fuck is that?

RED MIST

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Of course, old Albert hadn’t reckoned with the Pope’s Newc O’Rangers’ hot-headed Colombian striker Alfredo Morelos, who has now been sent off in three different matches against Aberdeen this season, all of which have finished with – you’ve guessed it – different results: a draw, an Aberdeen win at Ibrox and most recently, a victory for O’Rangers at Pittodrie on a freezing Scottish Wednesday night.

Of course when he wasn’t figuring out that E = mc², Einstein came up with the occasional bon mot. “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth,” he once said and it is a line young Alfredo may have quoted in his own defence, when asked to explain to his increasingly frustrated manager $tevie Mbe why he had just got his fourth red card (one of which was rescinded) of the season for an off-the-ball stramash with Scott McKenna on Wednesday night and is now facing yet another two-game spell on the naughty step.

“I think for Alfredo to go to the next level or to improve he will have to channel his aggression,” he parped, as the mellifluous strains of Phil Collins opus No Jacket Required were piped into the visitors’ dressing room. “I haven’t had the chance to analyse the incident so I can’t tell you if Scott deserved a red or whether Alfredo did. They’ve had a fantastic battle up until that point.” It was a battle Morelos was dominating, having scored two goals as O’Rangers ran out 4-2 winners to go five points ahead of Aberdeen and top of the table … if you’re one of those particularly one-eyed O’Rangers fans who folds over the bit above your team that shows the Queen’s celtic are six points clear.

After being awarded four spot-kicks in one match last weekend, the most penalties they’ve been given since the taxman rocked up to Ibrox in 2010, O’Rangers could be forgiven for thinking they might have used up all their luck for February, but they’ve now announced they are seeking to have Morelos’s latest dismissal overturned. “A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?” asked Einstein. For $tevie Mbe, the answer is a baby-faced striker with 23 goals to his name already this season who isn’t suspended for his team’s next two games.

Had a quick look at the guy's twitter and was absolutely flabbergasted to find...

GB.JPG

13 minutes ago, OhW said:

Just found this horrendous excuse of an article about Morelos in the Guardian.

"O'Rangers" " $tevie Mbe", what the fuck is that?

RED MIST

Albert Einstein is widely credited with saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Of course, old Albert hadn’t reckoned with the Pope’s Newc O’Rangers’ hot-headed Colombian striker Alfredo Morelos, who has now been sent off in three different matches against Aberdeen this season, all of which have finished with – you’ve guessed it – different results: a draw, an Aberdeen win at Ibrox and most recently, a victory for O’Rangers at Pittodrie on a freezing Scottish Wednesday night.

Of course when he wasn’t figuring out that E = mc², Einstein came up with the occasional bon mot. “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth,” he once said and it is a line young Alfredo may have quoted in his own defence, when asked to explain to his increasingly frustrated manager $tevie Mbe why he had just got his fourth red card (one of which was rescinded) of the season for an off-the-ball stramash with Scott McKenna on Wednesday night and is now facing yet another two-game spell on the naughty step.

“I think for Alfredo to go to the next level or to improve he will have to channel his aggression,” he parped, as the mellifluous strains of Phil Collins opus No Jacket Required were piped into the visitors’ dressing room. “I haven’t had the chance to analyse the incident so I can’t tell you if Scott deserved a red or whether Alfredo did. They’ve had a fantastic battle up until that point.” It was a battle Morelos was dominating, having scored two goals as O’Rangers ran out 4-2 winners to go five points ahead of Aberdeen and top of the table … if you’re one of those particularly one-eyed O’Rangers fans who folds over the bit above your team that shows the Queen’s celtic are six points clear.

After being awarded four spot-kicks in one match last weekend, the most penalties they’ve been given since the taxman rocked up to Ibrox in 2010, O’Rangers could be forgiven for thinking they might have used up all their luck for February, but they’ve now announced they are seeking to have Morelos’s latest dismissal overturned. “A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?” asked Einstein. For $tevie Mbe, the answer is a baby-faced striker with 23 goals to his name already this season who isn’t suspended for his team’s next two games.

Had a quick look at the guy's twitter and was absolutely flabbergasted to find...

GB.JPG

Just went onto their website to see it because it seemed weird. But that’s exactly what it said (wasn’t doubting you). A mess of an article and a mess of a journalist.

7 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

@OhW that's a terrible piece for the guardian to be publishing. Reads like a fanzine article. Was it out across as a fans point of view or as an opinion piece? So many things in it to take issue with.

I'm sure they would say something like "it's a light-hearted, humorous take on the weekends' football" but I don't think that excuses it.

3 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

What does you calling me names bring to the debate?  I asked a question and got a good answer from SEMA

You asked a utterly mental question. How can a company order a cease and desist against a newspaper publishing opinion columns? Unless there's something legally actionable in there, trying to take legal action against opinions because you don't like them is genuinely one of the most mental things I've read from you on here and you once spent days referring to me as 'Mr. King'.

5 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

That's how it reads. It's that much of a parody it's hard to get worked up about. A filler piece. Makes him look rather unstable. 

I find it impossible to get worked up at someone's opinion column going one way or the other. Designed to get folk clicking on it/talking about it one way or another.

He's had a few wobblies over the last 5-6 years iirc. Playing to the galleries of punters who think he's some sort of intellectual when he's just a knob with a column.

Just now, The Dude said:

I find it impossible to get worked up at someone's opinion column going one way or the other. Designed to get folk clicking on it/talking about it one way or another.

He's had a few wobblies over the last 5-6 years iirc. Playing to the galleries of punters who think he's some sort of intellectual when he's just a knob with a column.

That pretty much sums up how it reads to me.

I think it was a while ago you mentioned the ins and outs of opinion pieces, and that they are essentially clickbait and to spark conversation or controversy. The better ones do get a hook. This one doesn't. 

Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

That pretty much sums up how it reads to me.

I think it was a while ago you mentioned the ins and outs of opinion pieces, and that they are essentially clickbait and to spark conversation or controversy. The better ones do get a hook. This one doesn't. 

That's the basic jist of them. Moderates don't really get clicks and you need to be ever more controversial to keep outdoing the others. As much as people like to piss and moan about it, sadly its a trend being driven by what readers react to. If people didn't take the bait every time then guys like Sutton etc who exist more to ruffle feathers than offer meaningful insight would quickly vanish.

1 minute ago, Grundy said:

Says a lot about the standard of journalism in newspapers that this even got printed.  No offence meant Dude.

It's the very reason I'm trying to make a career out of it. They're shite and I think I can do a better job...so that's what I'm doing.

3 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Plenty on here reckon I’m a paranoid crank for advocating non payment of the licence fee. BBC have plenty of form for pulling this sort of shite yet I’m paranoid.

Think there is more that agree that the BBC suck a big dick, however none fancy the large fine that comes with your protest.

Archived