Ross Wilson

eskbankloyal

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

A knew they done it and midjtyland but I had it in my head Southampton done it too, I've got it in my head they had some sort of futuristic transfer room that they use for targets. Think I've dreamt it tbh 

Midtjylland and Brentford have the same owner.  He made millions betting based on statistical data.  He then used the money to purchase take over a club/a and tried to use his formulas to bring success to the teams.  Midtjylland did win the league shortly after he took over TBF.

Just now, TMB said:

Midtjylland and Brentford have the same owner.  He made millions betting based on statistical data.  He then used the money to purchase take over a club/a and tried to use his formulas to bring success to the teams.  Midtjylland did win the league shortly after he took over TBF.

I know all this, I watched the same programme as you probably.

3 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Spent £16m on the cunt they've sent to the tarriers on loan because he turned out to be guff.

Just an observation btw. I'm not agreeing with him because I know next to nothing about this guy :lol:

Tbf you’ll struggle to find any team that doesn’t have at least one expensive flop (especially in the PL) currently or in their recent history.

Southampton seem to be the best (or one of the best) in the PL for making a huge profit on signings, Van Dijk being the most obvious example.

2 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Tbf you’ll struggle to find any team that doesn’t have at least one expensive flop (especially in the PL) currently or in their recent history.

Southampton seem to be the best (or one of the best) in the PL for making a huge profit on signings, Van Dijk being the most obvious example.

Ross Wilson has fuck all to do with VVD. He’s been there head of recruitment for about 2 years. The guy that did well for Southampton in the transfer market was Paul Mitchell. RW has done fuck all. 

So we are to have a 35 year old DOF from a lower ranking EPL side which has won the square root of fuck all, and this person having had the square root of fuck all football experience of winning things at a top level, now acting in an oversight role of an older39 year old Steven Gerrard who actually has won just about every top honour in football and is about as widely experienced in football as it gets, albeit not so as a football manager.

Sure, appointing a younger less football-experienced Wilson to work with an older and vastly more football-experienced manager in Gerrard (who also probably had vastly more football nous) looks like a perfect blend of top football management talent to be taking Rangers forward at pace to actually win trophies again.   Not.

I don't see that combination of top football management working at all.   I wonder if Gerrard was involved in the actual selection process or, if not, then even consulted in a meaningful way.    We'll never be told that of course.

An older and vastly more football experienced manager taking orders and direction  from a younger and vastly less experienced Director of Football makes, imo, for the potential for very difficult territory for both to work in good enough harmony and for Rangers overall benefit.    His appointment has more of a feel of being contrived quickly to fill the sudden gap left by Allen's departure.    If he is the best that can be attracted to Rangers then imo there is trouble ahead. 

If Gerrard finds he is not able to work as effectively as the Club would need with Wilson, or vice versa, then the question will turn to which of them goes first.   

8 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

They generally get decent fees for their players but they aren't shy about spending a few quid either. The season they sold Van Dijk was the last time they actually turned a profit in their overall transfers according to Transfermarkt. How much of a part Ross Wilson played in that though we don't know.

That's all irrelevant though as it's impossible to say how he'll do up here anyway. He'll be operating in a totally different market and with a much smaller budget than he had down south. I'll wait a while before deciding he's a waste of a wage.

10 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Ross Wilson has fuck all to do with VVD. He’s been there head of recruitment for about 2 years. The guy that did well for Southampton in the transfer market was Paul Mitchell. RW has done fuck all. 

Ross Wilson was Southampton's director of scouting in 2015. Probably had a bit more than fuck all to do with them signing Van Dijk.

12 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Already written off then.

Lovely stuff.

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Ross Wilson was Southampton's director of scouting in 2015. Probably had a bit more than fuck all to do with them signing Van Dijk.

Nah, according to @Brackley Bluenose he just sits about with his thumb up his arse.

It’s a wonder how he ever got that job, really.

No he hasn’t despite getting that information from LinkedIn. He’s been employed by the club since then but he hasn’t always been head of recruitment in that time. 

7 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

So we are to have a 35 year old DOF from a lower ranking EPL side which has won the square root of fuck all, and this person having had the square root of fuck all football experience of winning things at a top level, now acting in an oversight role of an older39 year old Steven Gerrard who actually has won just about every top honour in football and is about as widely experienced in football as it gets, albeit not so as a football manager.

Sure, appointing a younger less football-experienced Wilson to work with an older and vastly more football-experienced manager in Gerrard (who also probably had vastly more football nous) looks like a perfect blend of top football management talent to be taking Rangers forward at pace to actually win trophies again.   Not.

I don't see that combination of top football management working at all.   I wonder if Gerrard was involved in the actual selection process or, if not, then even consulted in a meaningful way.    We'll never be told that of course.

An older and vastly more football experienced manager taking orders and direction  from a younger and vastly less experienced Director of Football makes, imo, for the potential for very difficult territory for both to work in good enough harmony and for Rangers overall benefit.    His appointment has more of a feel of being contrived quickly to fill the sudden gap left by Allen's departure.    If he is the best that can be attracted to Rangers then imo there is trouble ahead. 

If Gerrard finds he is not able to work as effectively as the Club would need with Wilson, or vice versa, then the question will turn to which of them goes first.   

Wilson has more experience of being a director of football than Mark Allen did and him and Gerrard seemed to get on just fine.

2 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Already written off then.

Lovely stuff.

I’m not pessimistic at all mate and I’ve never claimed to be ITK in my life but Saints are my employer so I follow the team and know the ins and outs of it pretty well. Here’s a list of some of the dross he’s signed under his watch Elyounoussi, Carillo, Hoedt, Clasie, Gabbiadini, Boufal, Armstrong, Pied, Lemina (although he did have flashes of excellence but has not been punted on loan). This is before we even move into the realms of shite managers he’s hired - Hughes and Pellegrino nearly took them down. 

but don’t just take my word for it saints fans aren’t having him either. 

723CC825-DE58-45B7-9E16-A682955B2BEF.png

E166926B-1DF2-4D3E-9B87-B6A5965B3107.png

23 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

He left them in November 2014. Almost a year before they signed Van Dijk.

You've not done well here.

He left them in November 2014. Almost a year before they signed Van Dijk.

You've not done well here.

You’re not doing very well yourself. I said Paul Mitchell did well for Saints, never mentioned him being involved with VVD specifically. 

Archived