Panic Merchants

Bottom line is we don’t seem to be able to have the right mentality to win big games. How many times have we thrown away a lead under Gerrard?

Last season-

Sheep, Hibs x2, Killie x3, Motherwell, Spartak - off the top of my head.

This season-

Sheep, Young Boys, Feyenoord

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

Well mate, I think it's ridiculous doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Can they really be any worse than the performance of Goldson and Helander last night?

They're trying to be too smart and end up putting themselves under severe pressure, Katic and Edmundson will just blast the ball out of defense - exactly what we need at this moment in time. Goldson and Helander's performance put the shits right through the entire team - that was the turning point for me. They were so poor, and I don't think Barasic would have made much of a difference given how badly they performed.

What are they doing over and over that is wrong? Last night we were poor and Goldson and Helander were part of that, but they werent the worst players on the park! 

The way we play isnt them trying to be too smart, its how they are being instructed to play! Jack, Aribo and Flannagan gave the ball away loads trying to play out with the ball, the moment we start blasting the ball out of defence is when we start losing games. We arent built to win long balls or play for knock downs/second balls and I agree there will always be a time and place for clearing your lines, but last night we struggled because we resorted to going long too often, but you would rather have Katic, who is much worse on the ball than Helander and Goldson, play there to play more long balls?

It was a very poor 2nd half from us, but we didnt drop points because we couldnt defend, we switched off and the midfield and attack were much more guilty of it than the defenders! Although Flanno should never play for us again, he is brutal!

Last night was a massive blow.  If we lose the cup final at the weekend people WILL start to question this team (rightly or wrongly).  It was very important that we keep the pace with celtic and maintain pressure on them to win every game...that’s gone now.  Assuming we go in to the Old Firm fixture around New Years like this we could potentially go 5 points behind so we’ll need a result in that game.

I’ve said this before on here but a 7 point gap is difficult to pull back.  It has happened but generally speaking when one team has a 7 point cushion, having played the same number of league games, that’s it.  We’re trying to stop celtic from achieving the 9 and there’s absolutely no room for error.  Especially when celtic have only dropped 5 points in their first 15 games.  

It was daft draws that cost us last season.  Before the winter break we had pulled level with celtic.  After the winter break we had a few bad results and it killed off our title hopes.  Things can go bad very quickly and we must now win every game we play.  If we draw one more game before that game at Parkhead I’d be extremely worried.  

1 minute ago, B1872 said:

Bottom line is we don’t seem to be able to have the right mentality to win big games. How many times have we thrown away a lead under Gerrard?

Last season-

This season-

I think we have improved that side of our game a lot since last season but the way we threw away a lead in all three of those results, especially the manner of the goals, is really poor!

Just now, TMB said:

Last night was a massive blow.  If we lose the cup final at the weekend people WILL start to question this team (rightly or wrongly).  It was very important that we keep the pace with celtic and maintain pressure on them to win every game...that’s gone now.  Assuming we go in to the Old Firm fixture around New Years like this we could potentially go 5 points behind so we’ll need a result in that game.

I’ve said this before on here but a 7 point gap is difficult to pull back.  It has happened but generally speaking when one team has a 7 point cushion, having played the same number of league games, that’s it.  We’re trying to stop celtic from achieving the 9 and there’s absolutely no room for error.  Especially when celtic have only dropped 5 points in their first 15 games.  

It was daft draws that cost us last season.  Before the winter break we had pulled level with celtic.  After the winter break we had a few bad results and it killed off our title hopes.  Things can go bad very quickly and we must now win every game we play.  If we draw one more game before that game at Parkhead I’d be extremely worried.  

We could easily lose the final and then not get a result against Young Boys and in a week we have went from being joint top, with a final and a place in Europe after Xmas to play, to having nothing...

Its a massive week and the players HAVE to show a reaction on Sunday!

6 minutes ago, Del said:

We could easily lose the final and then not get a result against Young Boys and in a week we have went from being joint top, with a final and a place in Europe after Xmas to play, to having nothing...

Its a massive week and the players HAVE to show a reaction on Sunday!

People said this month could make or break our season and it’s true.  We need to step up and get results.  Not only to Young Boys, the Cup final, but at Parkhead and everywhere else.  Last night we slipped at the first hurdle.  If we slip again we could be out of Europe or 4/5 points behind in the league.  I get that some people think it’s unreasonable to expect results everytime we play but we’re competing with celtic and they’re getting results so we must match that.  If we don’t match what their results we won’t win anything.

2 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

The issue isnt luck at all. It's not tactics. It's not ability really either. 

It is character and it is undeniable that this side do not have it. There isnt a strong personality or leader in the side. They are a bunch of followers without anyone to lead on the park.

Unlike luck, Unlike tactics, Unlike ability, character can not be taught. You either have it or you dont. Rangers dont have it.

It clearly isnt character given where we are in europe and some of our performances this season, its a manager who either doesnt have the tools to change a game when it isnt going our way, or a manager who cannot see how to change a game that isnt going our way

13 minutes ago, TMB said:

Theres a good chance we will be 5 behind them before the OF game as im sure they have one more game in december than we do

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

There is luck in football to an extent. 

Conceding in the 90th minute and scoring 70 seconds later isn’t luck though, that’s drive and determination to keep at it until the last whistle. 

That’s something we’re totally devoid of across the board. We had 40 minutes to find the winning goal last night and had like 2 shots on target in that time. 

We need to find determination and fight from somewhere otherwise it’ll be another very long, trophyless season

Like killie away on the first day?

13 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Last season-

This season-

If we lose the cup final people will say again that we lack a winning mentality.  That the team don’t have the players to earn silverware.  This will be the criticism going in to a very important Old Firm game at Parkhead.  

XIf we win on sunday does that mean team have the mentality because alot of fans are saying they dont have it because of 1 game?

Legia away, porto away, feyenoord away, killie away, motherwell at home Livingston at home, all games when we have shown the correct and winning mentality to get the results needed. 

Also last night, feyenoord away and young boys , 3 stonewall penalties 1 in each game denied!! 

We had an eye on the final once we went 2 up and were in cruise control and couldnt get back into it!

It was a one off in my eyes, sunday will prove that.

Keep Believing!!

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Theres a good chance we will be 5 behind them before the OF game as im sure they have one more game in december than we do

That’s extremely worrying.  If we get beat at Parkhead we could be 8 points behind albeit with a game in hand.  We could go in to the winter break with a significant points gap. 

People keep mentioning ‘bottle’.  celtic haven’t bottled it when under pressure, we have,  I’m worried that our season could collapse in the coming weeks. 

33 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Last season-

This season-

How many times have we came back aswell though?

4 minutes ago, TMB said:

That’s extremely worrying.  If we get beat at Parkhead we could be 8 points behind albeit with a game in hand.  We could go in to the winter break with a significant points gap. 

People keep mentioning ‘bottle’.  celtic haven’t bottled it when under pressure, we have,  I’m worried that our season could collapse in the coming weeks. 

Cluj, hibs away and livi away??

6 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

XIf we win on sunday does that mean team have the mentality because alot of fans are saying they dont have it because of 1 game?

We haven’t won a major domestic trophy since 2011.  So yes, winning that League Cup will see us achieve something we haven’t in a long time.  Psychologically it could be a major turning point.  If we fail it could be damaging to this squad and we would need to play them again at Parkhead a few weeks later.  Imagine a sensational in which we lost both.  There would be a meltdown.  There’s massive difference cow ration and this team MUST deliver.

Just now, Nk89 said:

I hope our team dont collapse in the coming the way that our support have started to after 1 bad half in a dozen games!

You mean like the team's arses collapsed last night after cruising at 2-0?

Blame the fans for being concerned though :lol:

3 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

Would argue against hibs away given they pummelled them for 90mins and just didn't get the winner

Had we smashed aberdeen all second half last night and just not got a break then i doubt today would be so bad, its the manner of how, after they equalised, that we fell apart and offered fuck all in way of attacking presence

5 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

We’ve stumbled against Hearts, Aberdeen, and to celtic at Ibrox.  We’re 2 points behind.  We’ve yet to earn our place in the knockout stages of the Europa whereas they’re through.  We’ve been great this season but we’re still being outperformed.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

We haven’t won a major domestic trophy since 2011.  So yes, winning that League Cup will see us achieve something we haven’t in a long time.  Psychologically it could be a major turning point.  If we fail it could be damaging to this squad and we would need to play them again at Parkhead a few weeks later.  Imagine a sensational in which we lost both.  There would be a meltdown.  There’s massive difference cow ration and this team MUST deliver.

Yip i know we havent but forget the other 7 seasons, this is a different team with a different manager. 

We as a team have the right mentality and attitude to win trophies in my eyes.

But for fans to say we dnt have it then change mind n say we do if we win on sunday, then if we get beat at parkhead they will be saying we bottled it n dont have the mentality again.

2 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

You mean like the team's arses collapsed last night after cruising at 2-0?

Blame the fans for being concerned though :lol:

Not blaming the fans, just very hypocritical if fans are saying we are beat on sunday already which there has been alot of on here in the last 12 hours

1 minute ago, Nk89 said:

Yip i know we havent but forget the other 7 seasons, this is a different team with a different manager. 

We as a team have the right mentality and attitude to win trophies in my eyes.

But for fans to say we dnt have it then change mind n say we do if we win on sunday, then if we get beat at parkhead they will be saying we bottled it n dont have the mentality again.

Until we win something people will always question if we have players with a winning mentality.  We need to get things over the line.  It’s impossible to forget the last 7-8 years and even the players and manager a acknowledge it’s important to win things again.

Archived