New formations/systems

CoplandRoad83

Need to be tried out the rest of the season to try make us more creative and learn more about our players for next season.

We should have already done this tbh.

We know that the 4-3-3 with inside forwards can work against better teams.  We now need a system that massively improves our ability to create chances and score goals against the shite

I would suggest the following options are tried out (with players rotated based on form and suitability for the system not on name, this is just suggestions)

4-2-3-1 - with a number 10 and natural wingers

McGregor

Tav Katic Goldson Barisic

Jack Arfield

Jones Hagi/Stewart Kent

Morelos

4-4-2 - with natural wingers

McGregor

Jones/Hastie Jack Arfield Kent

Morelos Kamberi/Defoe

4-4-1-1 - with natural wingers and a number 10

McGregor

Hagi/Stewart

Morelos

3-5-2 - with advanced fullbacks and two strikers

McGregor

Katic Goldson Edmundson

Tav                                         Barisic

Jack Arfield Aribo

Morelos Kamberi/Defoe

Wish we had been trying things like this out behind closed doors in January rather than running players into the ground in Dubai.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, chris182 said:

Since the league has gone we need to be trying these out for the best of the season.

We need to be able to change our system when we need too. Surely there are reasons that Beale and SG can't or won't try this. 

I can't work out whether it's stubbornness or naivety.  

Suspect he's convinced in the Klopp model but we don't have anything like the same quality.  If we had Firmino, Salah and Mane it would probably work for us as well.

4 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

Need to be tried out the rest of the season to try make us more creative and learn more about our players for next season.

We should have already done this tbh.

We know that the 4-3-3 can work against better teams.  We now need a system that massively improves our ability to create chances and score goals against the shite

I would suggest the following options are tried out (with players rotated based on form and suitability for the system not on name, this is just suggestions)

4-2-3-1 - with a number 10 and natural wingers

McGregor

Jack Arfield

Jones Hagi/Stewart Kent

Morelos

4-4-2 - with natural wingers

McGregor

Morelos Kamberi/Defoe

4-4-1-1 - with natural wingers and a number 10

McGregor

Hagi/Stewart

Morelos

3-5-2 - with advanced fullbacks and two strikers

McGregor

Katic Goldson Edmundson

Tav                                         Barisic

Jack Arfield Aribo

Morelos Kamberi/Defoe

Wish we had been trying things like this out behind closed doors in January rather than running players into the ground in Dubai.

Pretty harsh on Kamara & Davis if they can't get in any of your four teams and Hagi is only a 50-50 in two of them and non-existent in the other two.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Pretty harsh on Kamara & Davis if they can't get in any of your four teams and Hagi is only a 50-50 in two of them and non-existent in the other two.

It's more about trying out different formations, I think we shld rotate the players based on form to see what works.  What is there to lose in the league, really? 

Just now, Copeland1983 said:

It's more trying out different formations, I think we shld rotate the players based on form to see what works.  What is there to lose? 

I agree that the formation needs changed depending on the opposition.

18 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

I can't work out whether it's stubbornness or naivety.  

Suspect he's convinced in the Klopp model but we don't have anything like the same quality.  If we had Firmino, Salah and Mane it would probably work for us as well.

Don't get me wrong liverpool have a ton more quailty. 

The klopp model but is very flexible compared to the ridged 433 the management insist on.  It might start 433 but depending on opposition or how the game is going the shape can change too 4-2-3 1 or even a more offensive 4-2-4. 

We need to be looking at changing up like this during games if it's not working 

Every formation will have to include Kent in someway. We aren't paying £7m for a player and not using him even though he's in a bad run of form.

I'd like to see natural wingers, so Kent on the right and Jones, i suppose on the left. It would take away the attacking output from Tav/Barisic but they can cross it from deep.

Do I player too much Football Manager? Probably 😂

Just now, aird said:

Every formation will have to include Kent in someway. We aren't paying £7m for a player and not using him even though he's in a bad run of form.

I'd like to see natural wingers, so Kent on the right and Jones, i suppose on the left. It would take away the attacking output from Tav/Barisic but they can cross it from deep.

Do I player too much Football Manager? Probably 😂

Me too mate 😂 And call me old fashioned but 2 wingers, some box to box midfielders and 2 strikers used to work not bad against teams that parked the bus!

Having Kent as a natural left winger :hmmm:

Whatever system we play our opponents always play like a cup final against us and always play with the low block. Whether it’s 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 3-4-3 or whatever if you are playing against a 6-5-0 then you will struggle.

Hagi’s first time reverse pass for Aribo last night is how you will break through defences but that was a moment of real quality that is few and far between.

The problem I have is that we always seem to play it our wide for tav or Borna and launch it into a box that will have at least 8 outfield defending players and a goalkeeper in it, so 99 times out of 100 it will get cleared.

I think arfields two goals recently have shown what is actually needed. If we start to shoot more from outside the box and score more then teams will have to start coming out from deep to close us down, this will create space in behind to play passes through.

The thing we struggle with is being far too predictable.

Part of me sometimes thinks we should start the game off and just kick the ball into our opponents half then sit deep with 10 behind the ball with Jones and Kent on the flanks and do to these teams what they do to us and hit them on the break.

We have 12 league games left to go and win and tbh as unrealistic as that is given current form I demand that Gerrard, his staff and the players set about aiming to do exactly that.

Rather than fuck about with this football manager shite experimenting with formations for next season with players who may or may not still be here.

37 minutes ago, corkinator said:

Nonsense, the system is fine, it needs better players 

So we have to change the system or change the players. Which of those do you think would be the easiest to do ? Especialy as the transfer window is shut

Lets be honest its no the system its the shite thats filling the jerseys at the moment. Gerrards preferred formation is the most flexible in football.  433 can change to a 451 out of position,  under real pressure the wingers can drop real deep and string a line right across the pitch. The problem we have is opening teams up that want to sit deep  and either hit on the counter or play for set pieces.  The back 4 is made up of 2 cunts who in would be done under the trades description act for kidding on they are footballers ( tav and goldson), one player who gets better because his partner is guff (katic) and one who runs about a bit and occassionally has a shot on target.  We dont have a no.10 type player who can pick a pass and slip a player through, we overplay at every opportunity 

I'd rather the manager practiced making subs first, possibly even when we see signs of us slipping, the opposition beginning to get a foothold into the game, or when it looks like a player's knackered.

After that, we could try at keeping the ball on the ground and telling players that they can still attack the opposition box, rather than just launching it in and praying that the 10 defenders don't get it before the single (if even) player from our team.

When was the last time a substitution made an impact? Someone who changed the outcome of a game. And I don't mean Greg Stewart coming on and scoring when we are already comfortably in the lead. Gerrard's subs are usually like for like in the same formation which never really alters a game. I would say this is the thing that Gerrard has yet to learn.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

When was the last time a substitution made an impact? Someone who changed the outcome of a game. And I don't mean Greg Stewart coming on and scoring when we are already comfortably in the lead. Gerrard's subs are usually like for like in the same formation which never really alters a game. I would say this is the thing that Gerrard has yet to learn.

Only one that comes to my mind was Jones against Legia Warsaw 

I’d like to see something like:

C2F53F6B-9140-4F1C-BE5C-DDDB112AE317.thumb.jpeg.4d0343a7065a400eb87d3737c20e5351.jpeg

Maybe swap Aribo for Arfield on current form.  A 4-2-3-1 will make us more attacking.

We should give Edmundson and Stewart a run of games.  They’ve been good so far when given the chance. 

1 minute ago, G.E.C. said:

Only one that comes to my mind was Jones against Legia Warsaw 

Yeah, that's a good shout. You are right and it's also many months ago.  Unfortunately that great cross made him a good player in many people's minds. I personally don't think he is good enough.

39 minutes ago, RoboBear said:

So we have to change the system or change the players. Which of those do you think would be the easiest to do ? Especialy as the transfer window is shut

It’s too short sighted. Big Clubs run their system throughout their whole academy, juniors, under 21s etc. 

SG it looking at the big picture. 

13 hours ago, corkinator said:

It’s too short sighted. Big Clubs run their system throughout their whole academy, juniors, under 21s etc. 

SG it looking at the big picture. 

Ok so let's say it takes another 5 years for the system to perculate through from the accademy.

That puts them on 14 in a row. You happy with that ?

13 hours ago, TMB said:

I’d like to see something like:

C2F53F6B-9140-4F1C-BE5C-DDDB112AE317.thumb.jpeg.4d0343a7065a400eb87d3737c20e5351.jpeg

Maybe swap Aribo for Arfield on current form.  A 4-2-3-1 will make us more attacking.

We should give Edmundson and Stewart a run of games.  They’ve been good so far when given the chance. 

Always thought we should try Tav on the wing with Polster behind him or patterson

Archived