The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Dude said:

And if the season is shortened to 30 games, they will have.

It can't be right now its 38 we could win the league hearts could beat the drop making it 30games ends that and in court wouldn't stand up.

32 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Tbh if I was a football club I would be embarrassed to be awarded a league title for a season that was abandoned/cancelled/called off and act like it’s some sort of achievement.

They wont though.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yes.

But that is different from all teams not playing 38 games and the league being concluded and awards handed out based on league positioning.  Clubs in the premiership shall play 38 games is the substantial requirement in a Preniership season.

However, you might have noticed, there are slightly extenuating circumstances here.

The league's definition of the season is the crucial part of it and the board has the power to change it as necessary. With 30 of 38 games played, and little chance of playing games again until the summer, they'll go with that unless UEFA decides to push a blanket void over the whole continent.

30 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

If a club had mathematically already won the title then fair enough.

The league should be void, if that is the case does everything start over fresh from 20/21 or should the 20/21 season continue on from 18/19 season..?

Yeah I wouldn’t have an issue with that at all, that’s not the case here though.

@The Dude for the scum to win the title they'd need to be mathematically over the line. Anything else now is them being handed it. Right now the season is 38 games if in April the season is made 30games they've been handed the title. That's something we must challenge in court.

I have no problem if they've won the title right now they haven't tho

UEFA will have the final say next week.

Euro's to be put back by a year is a given. This years European completions cannot be completed before next seasons qualifiers are due to start in June. Which begs the question of who is in these qualifiers. Domestic leagues have not been completed and in all likelihood will not be.

Abandoning the entire season is the only way forward.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

However, you might have noticed, there are slightly extenuating circumstances here.

The league's definition of the season is the crucial part of it and the board has the power to change it as necessary. With 30 of 38 games played, and little chance of playing games again until the summer, they'll go with that unless UEFA decides to push a blanket void over the whole continent.

Help me out then based on their rulebook and complete the following bracketed section with your definition of season that makes sense.

The Clubs..... shall..... play in 38 League Matches in any one (________________)

Pretty unfortunate, and if I were in Timmy's position I'm sure I'd be incandescent, but I don't see how the season can't be regarded as void. 

None of the rules quoted so far are definite in any way, but logically there's no other way but for it to be declared void.

The SPFL have no idea what to do here, just as they shuffled their feet about league suspension until the big boys acted down south and abroad. But whatever they do, there will be legal challenges gravitating around obscure regulations not written for these circumstances.

So they will want UEFA and others to pronounce so they can claim a legal precedence and point the lawyers towards those with bigger pockets.

4 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

@The Dude for the scum to win the title they'd need to be mathematically over the line. Anything else now is them being handed it. Right now the season is 38 games if in April the season is made 30games they've been handed the title. That's something we must challenge in court.

I have no problem if they've won the title right now they haven't tho

The problem is that its not just as simple as voiding the season. If I'm Dundee United or Raith or Falkirk then I'm sure as fuck challenging it in court too. The lost revenue for those clubs could put them out of business completely. Then there's distribution of prize money and tv money, clubs will stand to lose out there. European places, etc etc.

If the season is ended at 30 games, they ARE over the line.

If we'd only played 10 games or 20 games, then it might have been more of a possibility to look at resuming the season/rejigging the calendar but with 30 of 38 played, they'll likely declare it finished. If that's the decision the board make, Rangers won't fight it. Our chief executive sits on the board who will have made the decision.

51 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Tbh if I was a football club I would be embarrassed to be awarded a league title for a season that was abandoned/cancelled/called off and act like it’s some sort of achievement.

Awarded a league title is way down on a list of what should make that club embarrassed...

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Help me out then based on their rulebook and complete the following bracketed section with your definition of season that makes sense.

The Clubs..... shall..... play in 38 League Matches in any one (________________)

Season.

A season being the dates from the first to the last league game or at the board's discretion.

11 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Season.

A season being the dates from the first to the last league game or at the board's discretion.

So are you concluding as follows?:

The Clubs..... shall..... play in 38 League Matches in any one season, this being the period from the first to the last league game or at the board's discretion.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So are you concluding as follows?:

The Clubs..... shall..... play in 38 League Matches in any one season, this being the period from the first to the last league game or at the board's discretion.

More or less. Now lets see if you're as good as this game as I was.

The Club occupying position one in the League at the end of (________________) shall be declared the Champion Club of the League and shall hold the "The Scottish Professional Football League Championship Trophy" until the next Season's League Competition is concluded.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The problem is that its not just as simple as voiding the season. If I'm Dundee United or Raith or Falkirk then I'm sure as fuck challenging it in court too. The lost revenue for those clubs could put them out of business completely. Then there's distribution of prize money and tv money, clubs will stand to lose out there. European places, etc etc.

If we'd only played 10 games or 20 games, then it might have been more of a possibility to look at resuming the season/rejigging the calendar but with 30 of 38 played, they'll likely declare it finished. If that's the decision the board make, Rangers won't fight it. Our chief executive sits on the board who will have made the decision.

If the season finished today they'd be handed the title they wouldn't have earned it because right now we can catch them. 

If they now shorten the season how's that gonna stand up in court

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

giphy (11).gif

Just now, KingKirk said:

If the season finished today they'd be handed the title they wouldn't have earned it because right now we can catch them. 

If they now shorten the season how's that gonna stand up in court

It's probably stand up fine because it's in the rule book every club signed up to at the start of the Season.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

More or less. Now lets see if you're as good as this game as I was.

The Club occupying position one in the League at the end of (season, this being the duration during which clubs shall play 38 matches ) shall be declared the Champion Club of the League and shall hold the "The Scottish Professional Football League Championship Trophy" until the next Season's League Competition is concluded.

Good game this. That wording is accurate and makes perfect sense logically and within the structure of the sentence.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's probably stand up fine because it's in the rule book every club signed up to at the start of the Season.

Your kidding yourself on. So just at the drop of a hat they can change the rules mid competition without any warning?

Archived