What is Walter doing?

port_bear

In my opinion Smith is building a team of average SPL ability (i dont include arsehole Mhisser in that statement) to try and get the title back because he knows his arse is out the door if he fails if he was interested in the CL he wouldnt get by on this dross hes buying.

If Smith had substantial funds I'm certain his approach would be different - this is the man who brought the likes of Laudrup after all.

Why would Smith want Rangers to have a mediocre team - the man is Rangers through and through. :rangers:

Your not honestly trying to tell us that you think (even if Walter has a small budget) that players like Velicka and Miller are the best we can get ? I'm sorry but I can't go along with that !!

Would you not be happier supporting Celtic and joining Opus Dei so you can flagellate yourself?

Why? because i'm honest enough to voice my opinion and haven't got my toungue stuck up Walters @rse!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion Smith is building a team of average SPL ability (i dont include arsehole Mhisser in that statement) to try and get the title back because he knows his arse is out the door if he fails if he was interested in the CL he wouldnt get by on this dross hes buying.

If Smith had substantial funds I'm certain his approach would be different - this is the man who brought the likes of Laudrup after all.

Why would Smith want Rangers to have a mediocre team - the man is Rangers through and through. :rangers:

Exactly, he is probably trying to work within his budget restraints that have been imposed on him, I really can't see Boyd leaving, I think WS wants rid of Cousin and JCD, and I really think Novo will be utilised on the wing more. Velicka as an average of 1 in 2, Miller before he joined Celtic was averaging approx 1-3, and if Boyd has a decent partner then he will knock in goals for fun, both Miller and Velicka might provide the service and room for him.

Our focus, should be on the midfield area, as to me that is where we lost more matches last season, when we did attempt to play 4-4-2 last season we leaked goals and got run over in midfield, hell because of our midfield at times we were getting run over playing 4-5-1. I have a feeling not much is going to be happening in the defensive areas, now that Weir has signed for a year and Webster has been signed permanently, sorry to say that and I hope I'm wrong. As for the players Smith got rid off, getting rid off, Buffel is a bit of an enigma, but I think it might have had something to do with a clash of character, and this happens to any player with their respective managers. As for Sionko, he wasn't exactly setting the world alight under PLG, and if I remember correctly everyone was over the moon that Walter got rid of him.

There's no logic in criticising a man for things he hasn't done and hasn't even said he'd do, especially when you know less about the subject matter than he does.

He hasn't signed Miller? He isn't about to sign Velicka?

I'm confused because I'm pretty sure I saw Miller in a Gers top being paraded at Murray Park, or am I wrong?

Yes Miller was signed which is an unexciting but efficient signing. He will work his ass off, unlikely lazy Boyd. Velicka will be a great signing, strong, fast, good in the are and fairly prolific in scoring with a rate of 1 in 2.

The "lazy Boyd" as you called him had a rate of 1 goal every 88 minutes last season and your quite willing for Smith to replace him with Miller (1 goal in 5 probably) and Velicka with his 1 goal in 2?

Boyd needs the ball in the box and does little to assist the team in getting it there. He can only play when everyone is working for him.

Walter calls him lazy too and he is right.

of course he is , but i am glad he stiirred himself to assist the team by scoring 4 goals in 2 cup finals

was walter right in his team selections and tactics over our last 6 league games - the answer is no - he blew it , if lazy boyd had not helped him , he would be under even more pressure

i cannot believe you have such faith in a man who continuously played , cousin , mccculloch , broadfoot , and played shite football along the way

you are obviously in the "in walter we trust" team , well i am not

guys like you always think walter is right ,

buts loads of others like me disagree .

Your not honestly trying to tell us that you think (even if Walter has a small budget) that players like Velicka and Miller are the best we can get ? I'm sorry but I can't go along with that !!

Would you not be happier supporting Celtic and joining Opus Dei so you can flagellate yourself?

Why? because i'm honest enough to voice my opinion and haven't got my toungue stuck up Walters @rse!

You need full attention on the knife you have in his back. That's not "supporting".

You need full attention on the knife you have in his back. That's not "supporting".

What are you talking about? Exactly how have I stabbed Walter in the back? Thats typical of you Oleg, i've seen you do this in other posts, you can't think of an intellegent response so you resort to name calling.

So the fact that i'm not 100% behind Walter means I can't be classed as a real fan does it? Does that mean to be a real fan you are not entitled to your own opinion?, instead you just have to follow regardless, mute and without opinion, a "sheep" if you will just following the rest of the pack.

Supporting the club (as I do) does NOT mean supporting the manager when I disagree with what he is doing, one man is NOT bigger than the club.

What are you talking about? Exactly how have I stabbed Walter in the back? Thats typical of you Oleg, i've seen you do this in other posts, you can't think of an intellegent response so you resort to name calling.
Oh the irony.

P.S. It's "intelligent"! doh

So the fact that i'm not 100% behind Walter means I can't be classed as a real fan does it? Does that mean to be a real fan you are not entitled to your own opinion?, instead you just have to follow regardless, mute and without opinion, a "sheep" if you will just following the rest of the pack.

Supporting the club (as I do) does NOT mean supporting the manager when I disagree with what he is doing, one man is NOT bigger than the club.

You don't even know what he's doing till you know his budget and the available targets, so there's little point in claiming he's messing it up with such conviction, particularly since there is still months to go in the transfer window..

Oh the irony.

You don't even know what he's doing till you know his budget and the available targets, so there's little point in claiming he's messing it up with such conviction, particularly since there is still months to go in the transfer window..

Your right I dont know what his budget is or what transfer targets are available but what I can categorically say with 100% conviction is that Walter has been messing things up for months, if not longer. Its what he has done that I am disagreeing with and NOT what he may or may not do.

He messed up by buying players such as Gow, Broadfoot, McCulloch, Whittaker and Cousin etc.

He messed up by letting players like Sionko go and failing to give players such as Buffel and Boyd a decent run in the side.

He messed up a massive lead to hand the title to Celtic.

He messed up our first European final in almost 40 years.

He almost messed up both cup finals with his team selection and tactics and had to be bailed out.

(I feel like I am repeating myself here)

Now he has further messed up in my opinion by signing Kenny Miller and Velicka, two players who I dont think are "quality signings".

Oh the irony.

Your right I dont know what his budget is or what transfer targets are available but what I can categorically say with 100% conviction is that Walter has been messing things up for months, if not longer. Its what he has done that I am disagreeing with and NOT what he may or may not do.

He messed up by buying players such as Gow, Broadfoot, McCulloch, Whittaker and Cousin etc.

He messed up by letting players like Sionko go and failing to give players such as Buffel and Boyd a decent run in the side.

He almost messed up both cup finals with his team selection and tactics and had to be bailed out.

Now he has further messed up in my opinion by signing Kenny Miller and Velicka, two players who I dont think are "quality signings".

Yeh you're right, leading us to a European Cup final in over 30 years has totally messed us up.

Walter needs to get his finger out, we're a laughing stock throughout Europe. We'll never cope against the likes of Sporting Lisbon, Werder Bremen or Fiorentina. :rolleyes:

Walter did mess up in the final.

After 20 minutes we played for penalties until they scored........then he took off papac and Hemdani and left that lump a wid Broadfoot on and brought on McCulloch.........whit the fuck is that aboot.

Now we're signing Miller and Velicka.............sorry it's miles away from being good enough.

Players who got us to that stage?

Players who didn't get us to that stage?

Dubious refereeing and SPL fixturing decisions?

Who else got us there?

I though they won it.

That's simply due to the fact you only started watching football in April apparently. (tu)

After 20 minutes we played for penalties until they scored........then he took off papac and Hemdani and left that lump a wid Broadfoot on and brought on McCulloch.........whit the fuck is that aboot.

Now we're signing Miller and Velicka.............sorry it's miles away from being good enough.

Jesus! I thought we won it. doh

Oh the irony.

Yeh you're right, leading us to a European Cup final in over 30 years has totally messed us up.

Walter needs to get his finger out, we're a laughing stock throughout Europe. We'll never cope against the likes of Sporting Lisbon, Werder Bremen or Fiorentina. :rolleyes:

We are the laughing stock of Europe though, thats the point !!

Yes we made it to the final (through sheer luck and big Carlos more than anything else) but what did we do when we got there? We played the most negative football I have ever seen a team play in ANY major final and as a result we got demolished and only managed 3 shots, it was pathetic.

Oh the irony.

(tu)

Yes we made it to the final (through sheer luck and big Carlos more than anything else) but what did we do when we got there? We played the most negative football I have ever seen a team play in ANY major final and as a result we got demolished and only managed 3 shots, it was pathetic.

Greece, Steaua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade? :rolleyes:

With "supporters" like you, who needs enemies in the press?

Didnt they all WIN ?? hense the reason I said "he messed it up", had we won (which we didnt) there would be no mess up.

Didnt they all WIN ?? hense the reason I said "he messed it up", had we won (which we didnt) there would be no mess up.

You said "played in" and not "won", but just ignore that, because I'm not smart enough to point that out.

If we won it, you'd simply be waiting for the Super Cup to moan about and if we won that, you'd blame Walter for your hotel accommodation and the weather. doh

The UEFA cup?????????????

What wan were you watchin

The UEFA cup?????????????

What wan were you watchin

I forgive you for your unclear response and the ambiguity therein. (tu)

interesting thread, so here my tuppens worth, in my eyes. yes walter has flaws, maybe not to much attacking minded in latter stages of europe, but he did get us there. whilst every game we encountered we were written of by fans and pundits alike, but he,walter smith got us there for the firs time in 30 yrs. i commend the man and his team and all the players like broadfoot, dont get me wrong he aint near the finished article but he is young and will learn at a club such as rangers,,, and they all played a part in this. its called experience for players like kirky.

we cant forget the strain on our players during the final part of the season, player fatigue and no sharpness, its a euro final, its down to the players as much as walter, mculloch started of superbly in europe with a cracker of a header which made me think we can do this. he didnt finish well but he played a part in the route to the final.

i honestly believe we would be winners of a quadruple if it werent for a fixture sham and walter would have been a national hero for this, not forgetting the teams we played on route here in the first place, and not to mention the group we nearly qualified from in the champions league.

The transfer market is not over and has barely begun, we cannot point blame at any one person or cast doubt over any tactics that we ourselves as fans are not even aware of the tactics he is likely to adopt next season

All we can do is wait and speculate.

This is a site with one rangers community but there is never unity as we are all entitled to diferent opinions, this is my opinion and thank u :rangers:

Not pleased about Miller but pleased about Velicka, judge him at the end of the transfer window not the start of it. I expect us to strengthen in a few other departments before the start of the season.

You said "played in" and not "won", but just ignore that, because I'm not smart enough to point that out.

If we won it, you'd simply be waiting for the Super Cup to moan about and if we won that, you'd blame Walter for your hotel accommodation and the weather. doh

My criticism was of his tactics / performance in the final not getting us there (for which I don't think he should receive a f.ucking knighthood). As, whether you want to admit it or not, was frankly embarrassing at points and to say it was lucky would be an understatement and also a great injustice to teams/performances which actually merit a bit of luck.

With "supporters" like you managers would be free to do whatever they wanted without criticism, even if it included regressing the team x number of years, gaining a reputation as the worst/most boring team in Europe and wasting what little money they have on sub standard players.

Walter did a fantastic job with a bunch of players that in my opinion were very limited in talent. A UEFA Cup Final was a miracle.

Having said that some of Walter's decisions regarding formations and player selection were poor and some of the football dire. Our performance in the UEFA final was awful verging on embarrassing and the team was far too defensive.

If we are honest McGregor, Cuellar and Weir carried the team all year. Without them in top form we would have had a very poor season. Without Cuellar we would have been lost. Without K Boyd we would have lost two cups too.

Our midfield was overrun by almost every team we played. It was awful.

The number of players playing out of position too was farcical.

Walter however must know what needs to be done and I will give him to the end of the transfer window before judging him or SDM.

Signing K Miller is a huge gamble and was just not necessary.

Velicka might prove a steal though.