With Buffel leaving

Danny

And Gow following behind, and the Millers coming in and LM almost definitely staying, there has never been a clearer statement of what Walter Smith intends to do with this club.

Creativity and flair are concepts unlikely to furnish themselves on Ibrox ever again under Walter Smith.

We basically have no players now truly capable of it - skill, technique, dribbling.

That's what won Spain the Euros, and it's a concept Smith categorically will not embrace.

I don't know why Smith is so loathe to adopt it, but he is, and he's not going to change.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never realised the transfer window was shut. :rolleyes:

Gow clearly was not up to scratch or he would have got a chance at some point.

Buffel flattered to deceive and was never a mainstay in any Rangers managers plans.

Lets wait and see what happens eh? We might be pleasantly surprised.

And Gow following behind, and the Millers coming in and LM almost definitely staying, there has never been a clearer statement of what Walter Smith intends to do with this club.

Creativity and flair are concepts unlikely to furnish themselves on Ibrox ever again under Walter Smith.

We basically have no players now truly capable of it - skill, technique, dribbling.

That's what won Spain the Euros, and it's a concept Smith categorically will not embrace.

I don't know why Smith is so loathe to adopt it, but he is, and he's not going to change.

Danny, I say this with full respect and as a fellow admirer of Buffel...

What a load of pish. doh

Are you just fishing with that dross?

Danny, I say this with full respect and as a fellow admirer of Buffel...

What a load of pish. doh

Are you just fishing with that dross?

No. Over 18 months and Smith keeps on bringing in solid and robust players, and alienating or moving on any player with real skill.

Instead of smearing my post, prove it wrong.

(tu)

I am in agreement albeit there is still time for Walter to bring in some players with those 3 factors you mentioned, but I won't be holding my breath.

(tu)

I am in agreement albeit there is still time for Walter to bring in some players with those 3 factors you mentioned, but I won't be holding my breath.

He's already said today that he's only going to bring in one or two more players. Add this to the fact that he's already spent £6mil.

Unless these two players are absolute Carlos Cuellar style bargains, I worry for next season.

Then again...everyone's been speculating about us having £12mil to spend. If he buys a £3mil full back and a £3mil creative midfielder, I think he'd be going some way to quelling the depression amongst the fans en masse at the moment.

No. Over 18 months and Smith keeps on bringing in solid and robust players, and alienating or moving on any player with real skill.

OK

1. Beasley

2. Naismith

3. Davis

4. Lafferty (big but skilful)

5. Whittaker (tall and fast but capable of running the length of the pitch, beating 3 players and calmly slotting it past the keeper in an away leg of a UEFA QF)

6. Thomson (tenacious, but capable of neat interplay as proven by his goal V tims)

7. Darcheville (Only 5-8 but strong and pacey)

Also, big Cousin had some skill. Robustness doesn't exclude skill. He also played Hutton, Burke and Ferguson.

So I respectfully stick to my description of your post as "pish".

OK

1. Beasley

2. Naismith

3. Davis

5. Whittaker (tall and fast but capable of running the length of the pitch, beating 3 players and calmly slotting it past the keeper in an away leg of a UEFA QF)

6. Thomson (tenacious, but capable of neat interplay as proven by his goal V tims)

Also, big Cousin had some skill. Robustness doesn't exclude skill. He also played Hutton, Burke and Ferguson.

Naismith - played on the left of a defensive midfield 5 most of the time.

Davis - played out on the right of a defensive midfield 5 most of the time.

Whittaker - should only ever be played as a fullback.

Burke - appeared just after Xmas, but slowly faded again.

Thomson - decent player, I like him. Agree there.

Lafferty - Your guess is as good as mine. I've only seen him a few times, the last of which he miscontrolled a ball v Arsenal and studded a guy in the shin trying to get it back, getting himself sent off in the process.

Anyone else think Hemdani's got a good footballing brain?

OK

1. Beasley

Beasly doesn't beat men - he acts as a buoy. He's also lightweight on the ball, and lacks a great deal of technique. He has pace and fantastic movement. But may I remind you he was on the fringes the entire season, injury or otherwise?

2. Naismith

Fringes.

3. Davis

You're calling him technically gifted with creative spark and the ability to beat men?

Watch him a lot do you...

And he hardly features...

You're clutching at very short straws now.

And on the bench all the time or injured.

Cousin was wonderful for a while. Then he lost it. We will see if he can be an exception to my rule.

I equally respectfully adopt the adjective of 'horse manure' for use to describe yours :pipe:

Danny. Your mind is closed. Your using players' injuries to blame Walter for them being out and denying that others have skill by ignoring it.

If that makes you happy, fine.

I'm fed up with the negativity and can't be arsed with it anymore.

Maybe you'll be happier supporting one of the super-talented eleven SPL teams who never got near a Euro final, instead of dragging Rangers and their supporters down.

OK

1. Beasley

2. Naismith

3. Davis

The only genuine flair player in that list is Naismith.

OK

1. Beasley

2. Naismith

3. Davis

That's because it was about skill.

I think you are letting the disappointment of your favourite player leaving the club cloud your judgement on other players' ability

I think you are letting the disappointment of your favourite player leaving the club cloud your judgement on other players' ability

(tu)

Lots to think about written in this thread. I am up in the air about either side and have to wait until the door shuts on the window. I can see what Danny is saying though...I agreed that Buffel showed some flair and I refuse to talk about him negatively since he received 0% chance this past season.

OK

1. Beasley

2. Naismith

3. Davis

That's because it was about skill.

Ok, Well they might possess it but they certainly dont display it much.

Whittaker a skillful player? Beasley? Its hardly the strongest part of Davis' game as well.

would have to agree with this thread...........

anyone who says they have seen a player who truely fits the out and out attacking/creative midfielder bracket in the last season at ibrox has their head firmly stuck up their bum.......

a few should be, but HAVE NOT been allowed to flourish under smiths guidance and he doesnt not give any great indication that that will change in the coming one

as for beasley.....i have seen enough of him to know that his best attribute is a cross ball from a set piece and beating a man by skill ( or pace ) is not

OK

1. Beasley

2. Naismith

3. Davis

Naismith - played on the left of a defensive midfield 5 most of the time.

Davis - played out on the right of a defensive midfield 5 most of the time.

Whittaker - should only ever be played as a fullback.

Burke - appeared just after Xmas, but slowly faded again.

Thomson - decent player, I like him. Agree there.

Lafferty - Your guess is as good as mine. I've only seen him a few times, the last of which he miscontrolled a ball v Arsenal and studded a guy in the shin trying to get it back, getting himself sent off in the process.

Anyone else think Hemdani's got a good footballing brain?

I suggested early last year that Brahim could be given a chance to get forward more often.I've always thought him to be a very skilled footballer,who could

create a few chances for us. :unsure:

Danny. Your mind is closed. Your using players' injuries to blame Walter for them being out and denying that others have skill by ignoring it.

Maybe you'll be happier supporting one of the super-talented eleven SPL teams who never got near a Euro final, instead of dragging Rangers and their supporters down.

I think it is more negative to smear other supporters in the rather appalling way you just have than it is to criticise the team we ALL love.

Rethink what you've said please.

I'm agreeing with Danny here. There is a distinct lack of any flair players, out wide especially, who will instinctively pick up the ball and run at opponents. Fair enough, Buffel and Gow were never fantastic players themselves but the fact that those type of players are leaving the club while your McCullochs and Daillys are either being given a contract extention or branded "not for sale". To me that indicates the mindset of Walter.

He clearly still wants a reliable and solid team instead of one with flair and pace. The names that Oleg has mentioned has really just proved Danny's point. There are maybe two at most in that list who have proven they can regularly beat players. There is still plenty of time for more attack-minded players to be brought in this summer but Walter's comments on prospective signings have not been promising.

But you never know, maybe next season will see some of our talented youngsters introduced to the first team to add that flair. :rolleyes:

Given our lack of flair last year, with the majority of the players mentioned above, I am inclined to agree with Danny Boy.

Oddly enough, I didn't even necessarily say this is a bad thing!

All I said is we're going to see no flair at Ibrox. I didn't say we won't win anything.

People just see what they want to see at times.

I personally dont think that Smith is trying to eradicate the flair/skill element from our team altogether but I do think that he is primarally trying to establish a physical, hard working unit.

If he decides to do so then fair enough, its his philosophy and ill respect that until we start to struggle badly.

I think it is more negative to smear other supporters in the rather appalling way you just have than it is to criticise the team we ALL love.

Rethink what you've said please.

After how you've smeared the players and Walter?

Get grip.