Kevin Thomson on how X Box has helped his rehab!

Boab

KEVIN THOMSON has found an unusual way to console himself on his lonely battle back from injury.

Or, to be more precise, he's found a console.

Four months after mangling the cruciate in his left knee, the Rangers midfielder has been hitting the net for around three hours every night along with a host of star names from both sides of the Old Firm divide.

The Xbox 360 is the latest, must have digitally-enhanced fad to sweep through football's fashionista faster than Cristiano Ronaldo. In an Aston Martin.

And Thomson believes it's virtually saved him from going around the bend during his one-man slog back from the brink.

"I know it sounds a bit daft - boys and their toys and all that," blushes the 24-year-old as if he's been caught peeing in the shallow end.

"But just playing on the Xbox has really helped me get through the last wee while. I suppose you could say it's the 'in thing' with the lads. There's a group of about 10 or 12 of us who are on it just about every night.

"I've been missing out on a lot of the banter at training every day so it's great to get a bit of craic with them at night. I feel part of the group again - it's kept me in the loop. You sit there in your own house with your headphones on and you can talk to each other as clear as if you're on the end of a phone.

"The main game we've been playing is called Call of Duty which is like a shoot 'em up game. The only aim is really to shoot as many people as you can.

"If we get a group of six then we can take on another group of six all online. You can challenge people from all over the world. If you log on at eight at night there's something like 200,000 people all online - it's huge, like a sort of social network.

"We've even been able to keep in touch with Chris Burke now that he's down in Cardiff.

"Scotty Brown plays with us quite a lot but I think there are a few other Celtic boys who are on it all the time. Then there's myself, Steven Whittaker, Lee McCulloch, Stevie Smith (who is absolutely fantastic at it), Kirk Broadfoot, Kris Boyd (who is the worst player ever) and Nacho Novo (second worst).

"We're all totally addicted to it. You go up to the room to log on at around 7 o'clock after dinner and the next thing you know it's 11 at night. I know it sounds crazy but I must admit, it's really been helping me get through.

"It's the same for the other boys. If they've had a hard day at training it gives them a chance to chill out and relax."

And right now every day at training is a tough day for Thomson as he continues towards his goal of a return in time for the start of next season.

Today though, he's got his feet up in the house, after being banished from the Murray Park gym by the physios.

He said: "They want me to take a holiday every six weeks but, to be honest, after my first six weeks I didn't want to stop my rehab because I was just getting into the swing of it.

But that's me gone eight weeks now and I've been ordered to take a break. They tell me it's good for the body, the knee and the mind. They know what they're talking about so I have to do what I'm told. But it's a case of so far, so good."

Thomson taps a finger three times on the wooden arm of his seat. The last thing he needs now is to tempt fate - not when fate has slapped him in the face so hard, so often.

This is the second time he's had a knee rebuilt from scratch. It's also the second major surgery he's required in three years at Ibrox after undergoing a double hernia op in his first full season.

He shakes his head and says: "I've just been unlucky. Really unlucky. But hopefully my luck will change after this one."

If he didn't know better, in his darker moments he could be excused for wondering if lady luck has it in for him. And Thomson does admit there are times when self pity can take hold.

He said: "Yes, I admit I do get quite depressed at times - usually when I'm in the car driving through to training in the morning. I start to get down because I know I won't be out there with the boys.

"The longer I'm out injured, the more important each games seems to get. I'm desperate to be involved in them but all I can do is sit there watching the boys getting prepared. That's a killer.

"But from day one I've told myself one thing - every time I walk into Murray Park I'll do so with a smile on my face, no matter how I might be feeling inside.

"The rest of the boys don't want to see me mumping and moaning and feeling sorry for myself. I know that might sound quite sad and I know some people might say I'm talking rubbish because I can be a grumpy git, especially when I'm in the treatment room! But it works.

"It's like that old cliche, if you roll out of bed in the morning and tell yourself you're tired then you'll be knackered for the rest of the day. It's all in the mind."

Thomson pauses for a moment, as if his mind is debating with himself.

Then he says: "I'm not going to lie, there are times when, inside, I feel like crying.

Every morning we all meet up, the place is jumping and the banter is flying in the changing room. Everyone is cracking jokes and having a laugh.

"Then the boys put on their boots and head outside and suddenly everything is quiet again. At 20 to 10 MurrayPark is like a school playground. At quarter to 10 it's more like a library. That's when I puton my trainers and head for the physio's room - and yes, after a while that's hard going.

"Some days I'll be in there doing a 10- minute walk on the treadmill at a snail's pace, looking out the window at the lads all flying around outside on the training pitch.

That's when you start to feel sorry for yourself. It's a kick in the teeth.

"At times like that the thought of knowing one day I'll be back out there with them and playing again is the only thing that keeps me going.

"But I've been knocked out by the support I've had from all the boys and I've also lost count of the cards and messages I've had from Rangers fans. I'd like to take this chance to say thank you to each and every one of them, I'll never forget their kindness. Things like that make you realise what I special club I play for."

I reckon some of you guys will love this article for different reasons!

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21178121/

if anyone does play fifa online add me colly214

Hopefully Ive raped some of them in World at War.Love the game.Me & my m8s go on-Zeba clan-Biotechnology, rickhib & scottyboy1975-gamertags.

what joy it would bring me to headshot scott brown with a sniper :happy:

Nah, too quick and painless.

I'd rather saw it off with a rusty spoon.

Good idea. :pipe:

No fucking wonder Stevie Smith is so good at it, he's injured all the time.