Broadband

Wullie!

Yes it all depends on how close you are to the nearest server and how much bandwidth is being used, it called traffic shaping.

Its not 10mbp/s you have, it upto 10Mbp/s.

Every other time I have checked it has been slightly under the 10Mb, but now its at 512Kb.

Just checked their policy. I've not even breached any of the terms in the traffic management.

Yes it all depends on how close you are to the nearest server and how much bandwidth is being used, it called traffic shaping.

Every other time I have checked it has been slightly under the 10Mb, but now its at 512Kb.

Just checked their policy. I've not even breached any of the terms in the traffic management.

It doesn't matter, they have a 'HUB' which is the start of their internet providing. On this HUB they can fit as many users as they want but they only have a limited bandwidth, which every customer uses. Therefore the more customers online, the more bandwidth being used. To combat this they partake in 'traffic shaping' in which they limit all there customers bandwidth on that HUB.

This is completely different from the fair usage policy and about 90% of ISP's in the UK use it.

It doesn't matter, they have a 'HUB' which is the start of their internet providing. On this HUB they can fit as many users as they want but they only have a limited bandwidth, which every customer uses. Therefore the more customers online, the more bandwidth being used. To combat this they partake in 'traffic shaping' in which they limit all there customers bandwidth on that HUB.

This is completely different from the fair usage policy and about 90% of ISP's in the UK use it.

I've confused the two then.

Cheers.

Cheers.

(tu)

It's the same reason i left my old ISP.

Cheers.

(tu)

I'm thinking of leaving VM too. Heard nothing but good things about o2/BE. Will wait till the 12 month contract runs out in July and then look around for a new ISP.

Cheers.

(tu)

I'm thinking of leaving VM too. Heard nothing but good things about o2/BE. Will wait till the 12 month contract runs out in July and then look around for a new ISP.

I was totally dubious about O2 because of the online gaming and ping issues, but they have been fantastic (tu)

My ping to America has dropped by about 50ms, i have a constantly been above 15Mbp/s d/l and 1.2Mbp/s u/l.

There really good.

Oh and there is apparently a way to get out of a contract due to traffic shaping. Request your activity report and if it falls below the fair usage then they are breaking the contract for limiting you. I read about it somewhere.

Yeah, I'd get them to run some tests on the line too, just in case - like Davy says it seems a bit extreme. Is it actual proper Cable virgin internet?

EDIT: ah fuck it's sorted now anyway. Good!

Oh and there is apparently a way to get out of a contract due to traffic shaping. Request your activity report and if it falls below the fair usage then they are breaking the contract for limiting you. I read about it somewhere.

you dot want to do that if you have the non tv broadband package that you get everything with :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm on Sky - it used to be great and it's brilliant value if you've already got the TV/phone package. I say used to because I THINK they've started throttling my speeds during the day. I might be wrong though.

Anyway I'd recommend them, although as RyanMac says O2 are supposed to be the best of the LLU guys.

Anyone had any difficulties with Sky Broadband?

I'm moving in a month and I'm looking forward to getting rid of BT. Over-priced, rude, slow bassas.

My pal down the road has it .

Hes on 16meg no fair useage either and its on the same line his old isp could only give him 1 meg.