Do we now recognise Walter's abilities?

Guest Andypendek

Guest Andypendek

God knows, he's has enough brickbats over the last couple of years. But you look at the way the side can perform when they get it right, as at Tannadice last Sunday, and you think (well I do, anyway) that Walter really has got something. Playing Papac at left back. He's never struck me as especially fantastic in that slot but on Sunday he was. Davis on right wing, what's he doing? Yet it comes good. Miller, what's he signing him for? Again, he's been a vital part of the machine. Edu, what a bargain already! Snaffling Mendes out of the EPL, masterstroke! And most of all, for me, turning Boyd into something approaching an all round forward, which allied to his scoring makes him 'indispensible to the club' as FM would say. Not forgetting the handling of the Fergie-McGregor saga.

All this stuff doesn't just happen by accident. Fair play to the management and coaching staff. I want to acknowledge that in Smith we have a manager who can deal with football but also deal with footballers, which is quite different.

Well done Walter!

Walter's done a great job since coming back and the criticism he gets is unfair. His signings last summer were all excellent, Edu, Mendes, Davis even Velicka all played a part in us winning the title.

When Walter came back I was asked by a Celtic fan what I thought he needed to achieve to be called a success. Here's what I said -

1. First 6 months - secure 2nd in league

2. First full season - qualify for CL, be competitive in league, win a cup

3. Second full season - win the league

Walter has done all this, and a bit more. Definitely didn't expect a European final. OTOH didn't plan on Kaunas debacle. He has also made some excellent signings and now has the nucleus of a young side to build on. Can't really ask for more

Walter has in the end had a great season, but if Celtic had won their last two games then they would have been champions. It was that close. If that had happened then I do not think that this thread would have been posted.

Nevertheless Kaunas apart all that he did came good and all his signings came through at a critical part of the season. We would have beaten Hibs if Novo had taken just one of two sitters and that ball looked over the line too.

I firmly believe that Boozegate won us the title. Walter handled it masterfully and the players responded and Edu replacing Barry was a huge factor in the title coming to Ibrox.

My guess is that yes Walter has us now in afairly good position with a youngish squad and with some little tweaking and a wee bit of luck we can move forward in good shape. I believe Walter himself learned a lot about his players in the last 10 games and has a better idea of his squad now than what he had at the ealier part of the season. I hope he takes that knowledge with him in the close season.

I wonder how much the agro he got at the start of the year,kenny miller ,not playing new signings, john fleck ,barry,s form,adams broadfoot whitaker as the season went on he gave all these things a shot and it all came good in the end. did he listen or was it all in the big plan?

I never ever lost faith with WS, a season is exactly what it says on the tin 38 games. All these people that slagged him off when we got one or two bad results please stand up!

I`m delighted for the Management team, the players and all loyal supporters.

WS is not a silly wee boy, he knew our shortcomings and addressed them when required to do so.

God knows, he's has enough brickbats over the last couple of years. But you look at the way the side can perform when they get it right, as at Tannadice last Sunday, and you think (well I do, anyway) that Walter really has got something. Playing Papac at left back. He's never struck me as especially fantastic in that slot but on Sunday he was. Davis on right wing, what's he doing? Yet it comes good. Miller, what's he signing him for? Again, he's been a vital part of the machine. Edu, what a bargain already! Snaffling Mendes out of the EPL, masterstroke! And most of all, for me, turning Boyd into something approaching an all round forward, which allied to his scoring makes him 'indispensible to the club' as FM would say. Not forgetting the handling of the Fergie-McGregor saga.

All this stuff doesn't just happen by accident. Fair play to the management and coaching staff. I want to acknowledge that in Smith we have a manager who can deal with football but also deal with footballers, which is quite different.

Well done Walter!

Cant believe people actually DIDNT recognise them in the first place to be honest. I think its the "mtv" generation. (Is it still that?), anyway, people nowadays have very short attention spans and expect instant gratification. This was always a longer term rebuilding

I think you're all mad.

We JUST beat a terrible Celtic side, so bad their gaffer's rapped it!

WS has made some horrendous decisions (one up front at fir park last year?) and although im delighted we have the SPL trophy in our mitts, he is NOT the man to take us forward,

A half decent manager with the spending power of Strachan would have walked the league against Walter.

I cannot believe how easily people forget our managers naivety at the start of this season.

walter is a great tactical manger i just hope he realises his time is up hopefully this summer and he goes upstiars and we bring in Slaven Bilić :D git it right up the timmys :D :D :D :D

Guest Andypendek

If you can get us a manager who can guarantee no surprise defeats whatsoever I'll go for that. Kaunas, and things like Kaunas, happen. No point pretending otherwise.

I have to laugh at the '1 mistake and your out' crowd - also you can only beat what is in front of you - WS put up with all the shit about his style of play, how Barry rules the dressing room (whooped that one into touch - BIG TIME) how is signings were shit, how he played players out of position BUT still delivered the league and did so without cheating, excess pressure on the opposition (4 games in 8 days) and with integrity...... and some still want him out doh to be replaced by WHAT?????

If you can get us a manager who can guarantee no surprise defeats whatsoever I'll go for that. Kaunas, and things like Kaunas, happen. No point pretending otherwise.

Surprise defeats i can handle.

Spending your entire budget on three forwards in the pre-season, then playing one up front with a Christian Dailly/ Lee Mcculloch midfield and getting papped out of europe by a pub-team? I cant.

Needing to win our last three games last season, playing a 4-5-1 against Motherwell and dropping crucial points? I cant.

Playing Boyd and Velicka up front together(has he seen them playing?!) I cant.

WS lacks common sense and has a terrible pig-headed streak in him. (miller)

I have to laugh at the '1 mistake and your out' crowd - also you can only beat what is in front of you - WS put up with all the shit about his style of play, how Barry rules the dressing room (whooped that one into touch - BIG TIME) how is signings were shit, how he played players out of position BUT still delivered the league and did so without cheating, excess pressure on the opposition (4 games in 8 days) and with integrity...... and some still want him out doh to be replaced by WHAT?????

Owen Coyle or Tony Mowbray.

Sometimes pig-headedness wins titles!

WS should know.

He was pig-headed last year and won fuck all.

Resting on your laurels gets you no-where. I repeat.....a half decent manager at the piggery would better WS over a season.

Guest Andypendek

I'd say any fans who consider the signing and playing of Miller 'pig-headedness' rather than astute is displaying pig-headedness themselves.

I'd say any fans who consider the signing and playing of Miller 'pig-headedness' rather than astute is displaying pig-headedness themselves.

Kenny Miller chose to sign for Celtic over us. Fact.

Even if he'd scored 30 goals this year, i still don't think he should be wearing a blue shirt. He's only here because his other option was a relegation fight in the championship.

Guest Andypendek

We're plainly never going to agree on Miller. I say I don't care who plays as long as we win, you clearly do. I know which is the sane view.

We're plainly never going to agree on Miller. I say I don't care who plays as long as we win, you clearly do. I know which is the sane view.

I'm bitter. :D

I wonder how much the agro he got at the start of the year,kenny miller ,not playing new signings, john fleck ,barry,s form,adams broadfoot whitaker as the season went on he gave all these things a shot and it all came good in the end. did he listen or was it all in the big plan?

If you think Walter Smith changed his mind on any of the things you mention because "the fans asked him to", you really don't understand the man.

Guest Andypendek

He even brought that fan who nosedived the turf back to his feet with just a pat on the shoulder, last Sunday. The man is a borderline Messiah!!!