Success in Europe

Tumshie

Realisitc success in Europe  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will be classed as success in Europe next year?

• Qualification from group stages. Nothin more, nothin less
    • Third place and into the Europa League
    • Not bothered as long as wer in there after Xmas

Wheres the option for win a trophy?

Thats not a joke!

We made the UEFA final, with a worse team than we have now, so, if we finish 3rd in CL, why not again? Its the least I would expect to reach the Europa Final if we did.

Think you may be getting just a wee bit excited m8...

I am glad we have won the league. We are in europe, so again, I am happy with that at the moment. Our aim next year should be to retain the title and ANYTHING we do in europe is a bonus!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Rangers man and the ambitions of our club must always be geared to aim for the very top. So I'd have voted for outright winners.

Aiming for mediocrity is a shambles best left to the sporting wing who excel at such like.

:clap:

Wheres the option for win a trophy?

Thats not a joke!

We made the UEFA final, with a worse team than we have now, so, if we finish 3rd in CL, why not again? Its the least I would expect to reach the Europa Final if we did.

Think you may be getting just a wee bit excited m8...

I am glad we have won the league. We are in europe, so again, I am happy with that at the moment. Our aim next year should be to retain the title and ANYTHING we do in europe is a bonus!

I never get excited, am so mellow some people think am in a coma!

We already proved we can reach a final, with a far worse team than we have now, so, obviously, we can do it again, and, if we are in that competition, anything less than the final is a failure to me, winning it is progress.

We qualified from the champions league groups stages a couple of times, so, any less than that I would view as a failure, as, once again, we did it before, so, we KNOW we can do it.

I cant subscribe to the whole "Europe is a bonus" ideal, no it isnt, being in Europe is the very least we should expect I feel! This attitude is daft, its like, "wow, we got into the exclusive nightclub, so, now we done that, lets leave" rather than enjoy the night.

If we set our standards to compete, actually compete in Europe, regardless of competition, then, the league SHOULD come far easier, so its one less thing to worry about. If we set our ambitions to win the tournament we are in, and fall short, then, so be it. If we set our stall out to "finish third in the group" and fail, we are out. Goals should be set far higher than the minimum amount you expect to achieve.

Why CANT we win it? Man Utd were pish last night, I would be almost 100% certain that in 93, we would have beaten either Milan or Marseille in the final. Greece won the Euros. There is no reason we cant win a Euro trophy, and, a club our size/history I expect to win at least one in the next 5 years, at most.

I would quite like to give the Europa League another go.

You play in the champions league with an aim to win the thing, and lets face it, we are not going to do that.

Who is the 'we' and the 'you' that you are referring to? confused.com <cr>

Last 16 would be amazing but we need to strengthen our attack by either bringing in our own flair players or by buying them in

i think our midfield is about as solid as it can be but we obviosly should start using our wingers especially for european football

we could do with another good centre back to replace davie weir gradually through out the season

and im sorry people but you need to realise that kris boyd will be useless in europe and so will velicka

our strikers are to alike we need a new striker who is technical and good on the ball

thats what i think anyway :21:

TBH I think It'll be Kenny Miller up front on his own with a midfield trio of Mendes,Thomson,and EDU if they're all fit. I think that would work out quite well because Mendes' style of play is perfect for european football and with Thommo and Edu making tackles and cutting out balls he could move forward into an almost de boer role and play his killer through balls for miller to latch onto. I also think a Lafferty Miller partnership would be just as good if not better.

I would like to see us getting past the group stages and possibly getting to the QF's this time.

You just have to remember how agonizingly close we came to qualifying the last time we reached the last 16. There are teams that are far better than us but there a lot that we can beat on our night.

last 16 of champs league at least, obviously, or guaranteed europa cup final, fuck sake, we are rangers.

show some ambition bears

quadruple hunt is on again next year

;)

WATP

I'd say it completely depends on the group.

I disagree :pipe:

What is success in the SPL? winning it. simple.

We should have the same ambition/goal in any competition we enter.

Champions league would be harder to win, of course (unless we get to the final and meet the reigning champs haha), but, there is absolutely no reason we cant win the UEFA cup. For me, we should be challenging in the later stages of the CL, or, winning the UEFA cup, anything else is a fail

Champions league would be harder to win, of course (unless we get to the final and meet the reigning champs haha), but, there is absolutely no reason we cant win the UEFA cup. For me, we should be challenging in the later stages of the CL, or, winning the UEFA cup, anything else is a fail

Well PG was talking about the Champions League and he's totally correct. Would you be annoyed at Smith and McCoist if we finished 3rd or 4th in a group that featured Barcelona, Inter Milan and Wolfsburg? That's a possible group that we could get, by the way. Of course it depends on the group.

Getting to the last 16 is a massive success for any club, much less a Scottish one. The likes of Real Madrid, Roma and Bayern Munich usually struggle to make the later stages, never mind Rangers.

Well PG was talking about the Champions League and he's totally correct. Would you be annoyed at Smith and McCoist if we finished 3rd or 4th in a group that featured Barcelona, Inter Milan and Wolfsburg? That's a possible group that we could get, by the way. Of course it depends on the group.

Getting to the last 16 is a massive success for any club, much less a Scottish one. The likes of Real Madrid, Roma and Bayern Munich usually struggle to make the later stages, never mind Rangers.

Do you know, I wouldnt be annoyed, but, in all honesty, I would be disappointed, especially finishing 4th. We are capable of getting a result, at least at home, against any of those, as we proved with Barca and Inter before, so, anything below 3rd with our current squad yeah, not be a happy bunny. I would also believe we could get through from that.

Indeed, you see my point.

I fully understand that if you don't dream you don't achieve, but success depends totally on the luck of our draw.

If we get that group that TMWWBK mentioned, we could play brilliantly and STILL finish bottom, so I'm not going to go into the European campaign expecting to get into the latter stages or final of the UEFA Cup at the very least.

I expected us to beat Kaunas, Hearts & Caley at home, Celtic in the CIS Cup Final, us to clinch the league v Hibs a few weeks back - look what happened.

I live in hope rather than expectation in Europe, and it's served me well so far.

Simple enough what would you consider success to be in Europe next season bearing in mind we won't be splashing the cash in the summer

Success in Europe! Mmmmmm.

I suppose it would be to invade Poland, conquer France, defeat the british and pulverise the reds into submission.

:pipe:

Porto won the champions league, Ajax got into the finals. Why not Rangers?

Because they had far better players worth millions and millions of pounds.

We actually HAVE one of those players :pipe:

Sorry, couldnt resist. In seriousness, our players are worth that, its just a lot of us cant see that.

Porto won the champions league, Ajax got into the finals. Why not Rangers?

Because they had far better players worth millions and millions of pounds.

We actually HAVE one of those players :pipe:

Sorry, couldnt resist. In seriousness, our players are worth that, its just a lot of us cant see that.

Our players are not better or as good as the players that Porto or Ajax had.

Nowhere near it!

Porto side that beat Monaco; Vitor Baia, Paulo Ferreira, Jorge Costa, Ricardo Carvalho, Nuno Valente, Francisco Costinha, Maniche Ribeiro, Pedro Mendes, Deco Souza, Derlei Silva, Carlos Alberto.

Ajax team that beat AC Milan: Van Der Sar, Reiziger, Blind, Rijkaard, F De Boer, Seedorf, Kanu, Litmanen, Kluivert, Davids, Finidi George, R De Boer, Overmars.

There's absolutely no comparison there Outlaw.

Qualifying for the Last 16 doesn't appeal to me. No doubt we would draw Barcelona or Man United and last two games but if we dropped into the Europa League then we have a realistic chance of winning a European trophy :)

can see your way of thinking but id not be happy finishing in third place