Landon Donovan to Livorno?

Livorno president Aldo Spinelli is confident Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan will move to the Stadio Armando Picchi.

Landon Donovan could be set to move to Italy. (AP)

Spinelli has been in talks with Donovan's agent and sponsors with a view to signing the 26-year-old.

However, any deal would likely be a short-term one.

''I think at this point it will be done for next season only, seeing as the sponsors don't want the player to leave America now,'' Spinelli told Tuttomercatoweb.

If the move goes through it could pit Donovan against his LA Galaxy team-mate David Beckham, who looks set to return to AC Milan in January.

The pair recently had to hold clear-the-air talks after Donovan publicly criticised the England midfielder's commitment to the Galaxy.

Would be an interesting move for Landon to say the least. If he were to leave MLS, he could choose a plethora of clubs to go to, so this is an odd choice to say the least. Personally, I think he would fit in well with a French or mid table Spanish side.

Livorno president Aldo Spinelli is confident Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan will move to the Stadio Armando Picchi.

Landon Donovan could be set to move to Italy. (AP)

Spinelli has been in talks with Donovan's agent and sponsors with a view to signing the 26-year-old.

However, any deal would likely be a short-term one.

''I think at this point it will be done for next season only, seeing as the sponsors don't want the player to leave America now,'' Spinelli told Tuttomercatoweb.

If the move goes through it could pit Donovan against his LA Galaxy team-mate David Beckham, who looks set to return to AC Milan in January.

The pair recently had to hold clear-the-air talks after Donovan publicly criticised the England midfielder's commitment to the Galaxy.

Would be an interesting move for Landon to say the least. If he were to leave MLS, he could choose a plethora of clubs to go to, so this is an odd choice to say the least. Personally, I think he would fit in well with a French or mid table Spanish side.

I think he could do a job for a team mid table in the premiership

Livorno already have 7 forwards and have recently resigned Lucarelli so I have no idea why they would want Donovan when they also have Danilevicius and Tavano within their squad he probably won't make an impact at Livorno at all.

The article says next season, so I'm guessing if he were to sign, it would be in January. Maybe Livorno will get rid of some of their forwards between now and then?

Donovan is among the most over rated players in the world at this moment in time and I truly believe that if he wasn't such a high profile name then people plenty more people would be saying the same rather than greeting and winging about how we can't afford him.

He's flopped in Europe twice already and he isn't even that great in the MLS either and the simple reason for that is that he doesn't have the talent to back up his massive ego.

Donavon was good in the Confederations cup and that boosted his profile.

As said, he was pretty poor at Bayern but I suppose it would be to fit in with such world class players.

Donovan is among the most over rated players in the world at this moment in time and I truly believe that if he wasn't such a high profile name then people plenty more people would be saying the same rather than greeting and winging about how we can't afford him.

He's flopped in Europe twice already and he isn't even that great in the MLS either and the simple reason for that is that he doesn't have the talent to back up his massive ego.

That's a bit harsh I think.

He's played under 20 games in Europe over the course of his career; about half when he was a teenager, and a few more on loan at Bayern, a club probably too big for him, as well as the fact they already had an embarassment of riches in attacking players.

He's also won US Player of the Year 5 times, led the Galaxy in scoring the last 4 years whilst playing as an attacking midfielder primarily, and is the all time leader in caps, goals, and assists for the national side. As somebody who's watched nearly all of his 100+ games for the US and watches about 15-20 Galaxy games a year, he's clearly one of the best Americans playing.

are we the only club in the spl that hasn't signed anybody? if that's true that really is depressing.

:(

We're also the only club in the SPL that are Champions.

Still depressed?

fuck no, as a matter of fact i've seen go through the bad times, the worst times and even the down right shocking times, this is a minor blip compared to the past,

Would be the type of signing we need commercially. Like Nakamura done for them. Would fit in nicely with Beasley and Edu and as he's the USA's most famous footballer it would be fantastic for us commercially.

The benefits from merchandise sales, increased exposure / interest from new sources etc would pay his wages.

Would be the type of signing we need commercially. Like Nakamura done for them. Would fit in nicely with Beasley and Edu and as he's the USA's most famous footballer it would be fantastic for us commercially.

The benefits from merchandise sales, increased exposure / interest from new sources etc would pay his wages.

It didn't work when we signed Reyna and he was the most high profile American player at that time.

:lol:

And he's the one that was mouthing off at Beckham for going on loan?

Couldn't make it up.

Thought his rant was about Beckham's conduct at Galaxy? Seeming uncommitted?