Davis looking for additions to the squad

papaguy51

Davis looks for Rangers additions

Steven Davis hopes Rangers can bolster rather than trim their squad in January despite European elimination increasing the financial pressure at Ibrox.

Asked if he feared players leaving in the next transfer window, the Northern Ireland midfielder said: "I hope not.

"That will probably be out of the manager's hands but hopefully we can keep this group together.

"I'm sure the manager would like to bring in a couple of players to freshen things up as well."

With the club recently announcing a debt of £31m and looking for new owners, the extra income generated from an extended run in Europe would have been welcome.

But three home defeats in Champions League Group G has left Rangers at the bottom of the section and without the consolation of a Europa League spot.

Rangers have not paid a fee for a player since the summer of 2008, with their only new addition this term the loan signing of French winger Jerome Rothen.

Several squad players were cut loose before the start of this season and there could yet be more departures in a bid to raise funds.

However, chairman Alastair Johnston said earlier this month that Rangers would not be forced to sell players in January.

Following Tuesday's 2-0 defeat to Stuttgart, Davis said the team need to get back on the Champions League horse as quickly as possible by retaining their Scottish Premier League title.

"Obviously we want to retain the SPL championship and that is our focus now," he said.

"First and foremost, the league is our bread and butter and we have to get back to winning ways on Saturday at Aberdeen.

"It's great to be playing in European competitions and testing yourself against the quality players that you come up against.

"Having missed out last year, we got ourselves back in to European competition this year, so it is disappointing not to do well.

"But we have to focus on the domestic front, now that we are out of Europe."

Davis, though, is well aware future Champions League draws may not be so kind.

Sevilla were considered the weakest of the top seeds, Stuttgart have been struggling domestically and little was known about Romanian side Unirea Urziceni.

"Realistically we could have got a tougher draw, with so-called bigger teams," added the former Aston Villa and Fulham midfielder.

"We looked at it optimistically and thought that we had a great chance of doing well.

"But obviously we have not been good enough and that has been the story of our Champions League campaign.

"It is your home form that sees you through in these competitions.

"After losing at home to Unirea, we had a meeting and since then we have actually been doing a little better domestically and we got a decent 1-1 result in Romania with a good performance.

"But at home (against Stuttgart) it was the same story as in the two previous home games."

Bit of an odd thing to say really! Maybe he knows something that we don't?

Asked if he feared players leaving in the next transfer window, the Northern Ireland midfielder said: "I hope not.

"That will probably be out of the manager's hands but hopefully we can keep this group together.

"I'm sure the manager would like to bring in a couple of players to freshen things up as well."

Unless somebody comes in and buys us, players will be heading out the door. Seems to me he does know something especially when he's saying it's out of the managers hands.

Worrying times ahead.

who is Holden ? whats the rumour there ?

Born in Aberdeen, moved to America when he was 10 or something. Plays for Houston and the States and was linked with us last week. Decent midfielder who can play centre or right mid. :)

who is Holden ? whats the rumour there ?

24 yar old, Scottish born American International midfielder who is playing in MLS for Houston Dynamo.

Named in the Team of the cold cup last Sumemr and just named in the MLS All Star 11 too.

He's out of contract in January and rumour has it that Maurice Johnston has recommended him to us.

With any luck Holden will be a january signing. Send Rothen back to PSG and bring in a decent left winger and a RB

How do we pay for this lw or rb??????????????

Young boys deserve a shot b4 we go spending more money we dont have.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

]

Nice goal!

Hope we get him

Davis' comments made me angry when I read them today.

It's not so much a question of bringing in new players for me, it is more to do with guys like Davis standing up and being counted. He was abysmal on Tuesday. We have a decent enough sqaud on paper, but just need guys like Davis to play to their ability and not be passengers

In our current situation that the club is in financially, this is very weird for Davis to say this. He knows we have no money. The only people we would sign would be on frees or loans. We're more likely to be shipping players out aren't we?? Maybe he does know something. Weird

Davis' comments made me angry when I read them today.

It's not so much a question of bringing in new players for me, it is more to do with guys like Davis standing up and being counted. He was abysmal on Tuesday. We have a decent enough sqaud on paper, but just need guys like Davis to play to their ability and not be passengers

I tend to disagree with you on this. Davis was trying to take on the whole Stuttgart midfield on his OWN. We do need new faces if the Squad is going to be 22 players plus youngsters we need all 22 to be able to step into the first team at any time and play to the best of there ability which isnt happening with the likes of Beasley, Lafferty and many others

Why is everyone creaming there pants over Stuart Holden, a fucking nobody who scored one good goal on youtube. Why not sign a player from my amateur team who scored a similar goal on saturday all be it his first of the season.