Walter Smith: Rangers need to adopt European approach to youth development

zamba

He's a player who Barca payed money for when he was 20 so there's no way he can be classed as a product of the youth system the same way the other five players mentioned are.

I didn't say he could.

He is still a product of their youth system tho.

I would say he's more a product of the Man U youth system as he was with them from the age of 16-20.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I don't think we will see any club in the world playing half a dozen players in to their first team, but we have introduced a few players and will continue to introduce them."

Barcelona European Champions - Xavi, Iniesta, Valdes, Puyol, Busquets, Pique.

Barcelona actually signed Pique from Man Utd for an undisclosed fee after a 4 year spell with the club. (tu)

And Man Utd stole him from Barca in the first place when he was 16 or 17!

All well and good if it happens. What get me is there is still no mention of a change/ expansion of the scouting system. Look at the top clubs they bring through a mix of home grown and scouted talent, with a population of 5 million we have a limited pool to start with, this means that we more than most countries need to bring in foreign talent if we are to compete outside the domestic level, and our only chance of affording the best is if we get them young. I know at the present time we have no capital to invest in anything, but the club has to be drawing up plans to expand the scouting system as it would be a wise investment in the long run.

All well and good if it happens. What get me is there is still no mention of a change/ expansion of the scouting system. Look at the top clubs they bring through a mix of home grown and scouted talent, with a population of 5 million we have a limited pool to start with, this means that we more than most countries need to bring in foreign talent if we are to compete outside the domestic level, and our only chance of affording the best is if we get them young. I know at the present time we have no capital to invest in anything, but the club has to be drawing up plans to expand the scouting system as it would be a wise investment in the long run.

Absolutely spot on. The pool is even smaller when you consider how few boys are actually playing football. Add into the mix the Scottish diet, lifetsyle, attitude to fitness, attitude to professionalism, attitude to "what makes a player" and you don't really want to be talent spotting in our market.

I think the dearth of talent in Scotland is highlighted by how few Scottish youngsters are even coming through the ranks in England and playing in the top level there.

If you keep getting bad veg at Tesco you shop elsewhere.

Absolutely spot on. The pool is even smaller when you consider how few boys are actually playing football. Add into the mix the Scottish diet, lifetsyle, attitude to fitness, attitude to professionalism, attitude to "what makes a player" and you don't really want to be talent spotting in our market.

I think the dearth of talent in Scotland is highlighted by how few Scottish youngsters are even coming through the ranks in England and playing in the top level there.

Yeah....and ASDA's veg isn't much better - I generally find the veg at Morrison's to be reasonably priced and top quality.

:)

I don't go in Asda, don't like the colour branding and it's full of povos.

If we primarily base our youth set up on sourcing talent from Scotland and apply the Scottish mentality to coaching methods then we will forever be in the mire. Our game and talent pool is retarded in a footballing sense.

Well Duh...

As papaguy said - i'll believe it when I see it. The beggars where on sky sports news, they have completely revamped theres and moulded in on a European style. The have the kids training 9 times a week, before school etc. And concentrating on having the ball at their feet.

I hope we don't leave this another 10 years.

Yeah....and ASDA's veg isn't much better - I generally find the veg at Morrison's to be reasonably priced and top quality.

:)

I agree, great analogies.