Times Article on Strachan raiding the OF

nvager

I worry about Boyd, mainly because we seem to be doing fuck all

That's the thing, none of us know exactly what's actually going on behind the scenes regarding Boyd- I find worrying about the total unknown to not be productive

One of the issues about the figure is that Boyd is now into the last 6 months of his contract, if this was last January and he was in this situation then we would have been happy with that offer.

As for contract talks, none of us know what's going on behind the scenes but I think Boyd could do a lot better than a shitty championship team.

Gordon Strachan is poised to strike a deal for three of his former Celtic signings to join him at English Championship club Middlesbrough – and he wants Rangers’ leading goalscorer Kris Boyd to join them. Gary Caldwell, Willo Flood and Barry Robson will all be subject to a bid from Boro today, with a £1.5 million pound deal for all three said to be on the table.

Strachan was back in Glasgow to take in Sunday’s Old Firm derby and cast his eye over Caldwell, Robson and Boyd, who all started the 1-1 draw. His chief executive Keith Lamb will now meet with Celtic counterpart Peter Lawwell to agree a deal to take the trio to Teeside.

Scott McDonald was also reportedly on Strachan’s radar but – with the Australian forward valued at £3.5 million – the Boro boss will now turn his attentions to Rangers forward Boyd, who may be available at a reduced price with his contract due to expire in the summer. Boyd is also on the radar of Premier League club Birmingham City however and is understood to want to finish the season in Glasgow.

Caldwell is also free to leave at the end of the season and Celtic may be tempted to cash in on last season’s Writers’ Player of the Year. The Scotland international defender has not received a satisfactory contract offer from powerbrokers at Parkhead and could return south after five years in Scotland with the Hoops and Hibernian.

Robson, 31, meanwhile hasn’t played in English football during his career and is likely to jump at the chance of a crack at winning promotion to the English Premier League. Flood only moved north permanently last January from Cardiff City after two loan spells with Dundee United and is out of favour under new boss Tony Mowbray.

Middlesbrough have been hit by a spate of injuries of late and are currently sitting eleventh in the Championship table, five points off a play-off spot. They lost 1-0 at home to big spending Manchester City in the FA Cup at the weekend and are due to host sixth placed Swansea on Saturday.

They were relegated from England’s top flight last season and ex-boss Gareth Southgate was disposed of earlier this season, despite his team sitting in the play-off positions. Reduced crowds under the former England defender were cited as the reason for his dismissal, but just 12,000 showed up to the FA Cup game on Saturday and Boro have slid down the table since Strachan’s arrival.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink could swell the number of former Celtic players at the Riverside Stadium even further, with a loan deal from Hull City rumoured to be in the offing. Strachan was also said to be interested in Celtic defender Mark Wilson, with the right back position at his new club proving problematic.

Last updated: 05 January 2010, 08:02

http://sport.stv.tv/football/148061-middle...celtic-quartet/

Every article I've read this morning about Kris Boyd hasn't featured a quote from the players agent or a Rangers or Middlesboro source. Spiers amnd the rest are simply reporting rumours. Must have been a slow day yesterday lads

we need to keep boyd, they should just give him what he wants! £20k a week if that is the correct figure that's going about.

when this happened last january, it unsettled boyd for a while, we dont need that, not at this time of the season.

if we win the league this year then we will be in to the champions league again. so i don't see the problem, after all we are in a good position!

if mendes wants to go then that would free up some money even tho i'd rather he stayed.

i just wish rangers would get there fingers out. as celtic will spend money!

Boyd will be happy to stay at Rangers so long as they offer him a new contract I think. I can't see him going to a Championship side when he can play for the club he loves and win titles. It's just about coming up with the cash to meet his demands.

looks like strachan is being really imaginative and is gonnae try and put together a scottish premier league superteam to take on the championship. Mcgreedy,boyd,caldwell,mcdonald.

All of its a shite manager , trying to save his skin, he's welcome to mcgeady and caldwell, championship is about their level, no chance with boydie he wouldnae go to them