McManus to Middlesbrough possibly.

aird

Celtic defender McManus set for Middlesbrough loan move

Stephen McManus will be reunited with his former boss Gordon Strachan on loan as he heads to England's north east until the end of the season.

Stephen McManus is close to agreeing a loan move to Middlesbrough until the end of the season. The Celtic club captain, who has featured just 14 times this season under Tony Mowbray, will be reunited with his former club boss Gordon Strachan on Teesside.

McManus has not found favour with Mowbray since the arrival of the former West Brom and Hibs boss in the summer and has found himself on the fringes of the Celtic team. It had been expected that following the departure of Gary Caldwell, McManus would remain with Celtic for the remainder of the campaign to provide cover.

His imminent departure will fuel speculation that Celtic may be in the market for one more central defender. Mowbray has already strengthened his options during the January transfer window, bringing in Dutchman Jos Hooiveld and young Norwegian Thomas Rogne, but may look to add one more experienced player to challenge Glenn Loovens, Darren O'Dea and Josh Thompson for a place in the side.

Bids for Arsenal's Philippe Senderos, Preston's Sean St Ledger and Aston Villa's Curtis Davies have fallen through in recent days. Senderos elected to move to Everton on loan, while Villa boss Martin O'Neill was unwilling to allow Davies to move away on loan as he would be unavailable to the Champions League qualification chasing Villians should they have needed to recall him.

A move for St Ledger may not be dead in the water but Preston boss Darren Ferguson warned the Glasgow club last week that they would have to significantly up their offer to land the Irish defender, with Middlesbrough's previous £4 million agreement the benchmark figure.

"They [Celtic] have inquired but are a million miles away from getting Sean. The value was set when he went to Middlesbrough,” Ferguson said.

"I have had a couple of conversations with Sean and he is perfectly happy here. I definitely want to keep him. He is one of the best defenders in the league.

"I have no doubt he can play at a higher level but there is a valuation. If someone meets it I might have a different conversation with Sean. Celtic have no chance with what they are offering."

It has been a busy day of transfer activity at Celtic Park, with left-back Danny Fox also close to an exit after a £1.5 million bid from Burnley was accepted.

Inbound, Danish striker Morten Rasmussen underwent a medical on Monday afternoon and is close to agreeing a three-and-a-half year deal on a £2 million move from Brondby.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-prem...ough-loan-move/

That's it Mowbray, keep selling all your players. It will give the fans an excuse when we romp the league :D

:mutley:

why does no premiership teams want st ledger?

s bruce is needing a centre half, why does he not want him?

papers in england were trying to punt him to raselik for 2.2m, i think the club want more than that though

i dont know enough about him to comment really

papers in england were trying to punt him to raselik for 2.2m, i think the club want more than that though

Theyve valued him at 4.5million no chance of them paying that for him

Steve Bruce has just signed Matthew Kilgallon.

Aruna dindane(woeful defender) is there next loan signing. With a view to buy in the summer. the St ledger deal will not happen.

keep it up monkeyheid

He's a striker <cr>

awww ffs epic of all epic fails. I was thinking of meite.

good spot boab mate

shite striker tho :praise:

Aruna dindane(woeful defender) is there next loan signing. With a view to buy in the summer. the St ledger deal will not happen.

keep it up monkeyheid

He's a striker <cr>

awww ffs epic of all epic fails. I was thinking of meite.

good spot boab mate

shite striker tho :praise:

:lol:

Steve Bruce has just signed Matthew Kilgallon.

he still wants another centre half

(tu)

Theyve valued him at 4.5million no chance of them paying that for him

hope yer right

(tu)

Its strange how they want to stay up yet they'll sign one of the worst defenders in the world, I think maybe Strachan's got a grudge against Middlesbrough and is trying to get them relegated

They are supposed to be after Jose Goncalves and Charlie Mulgrew according to my mate who is a dhim.

I hate the look of Goncalves, would love to stick the studs in that massive head of his, same with Mulgrew the insect.