Our worst performance in Europe ?

Our worst performance under Smith since his return and if I remember right he wasn't to hot in europe the last time he was in charge!

Correct, and correct. And he had a far better team back then.

In saying all that, he revived Scotland big time but DID have off-games like the Ukraine and Belarus.

I've seen much worse. This season for a start. Molde in Norway? Auxerre?

We were awful tonight, but we've been even poorer in the past.

Certainly not Auxerre but Molde was dire. We've had a few as bad under Smith during hs last spell.

Our worst performance under Smith since his return and if I remember right he wasn't to hot in europe the last time he was in charge!

In saying all that, he revived Scotland big time but DID have off-games like the Ukraine and Belarus.

Youve got to remember we just missed the European Cup Final in 1992/3. By 1 point. Smith was the manager.

Youve got to remember we just missed the European Cup Final in 1992/3. By 1 point. Smith was the manager.

Indeed, but that doesn't let the subsequent 5 or 6 years of catastrophic shows in Europe under him off the hook.

we got out of jail with the late goal.

Was awful, but some credit must go to osasuna they worked their socks off and gave us no space all night, they closed down very well and we had no answer to that

Indeed, but that doesn't let the subsequent 5 or 6 years of catastrophic shows in Europe under him off the hook.

I agree Danny. Remember Famagusta and some other team Id never heard of ?

...and he was extremely average as manager of Everton. I thought he was awful tonight. Once again playing Thomson and therefore putting Ferguson in an ineffective role and not realising it was again not working until the 66th minute. Playing Egiogh in front of Svensson...I think it's been obvious in his few minutes against Killmarnock and the game against Hibs that he is a liability. Then there was his decision to wait until the 86th minute until he introduced Sebo. Surreal.

Having said all that...I'm strangely euphoric about the way things turned out. I'm sure Osasuna would have taken 1-1 before the game but I bet they feel they've missed out now. Thanks to Hemdami's poise, a couple of saves from Klos and the Spaniards poor finishing, we are still in this.

Don't remind me :(

It was embarrassing watching us in Europe after '93 - humiliation after humiliation, and the improvement under Advocaat in that area was just incredible. We were actually able to beat sides away from home - good tactics etc.

It was embarrassing watching us in Europe after '93 - humiliation after humiliation, and the improvement under Advocaat in that area was just incredible. We were actually able to beat sides away from home - good tactics etc.

levski sofia.

europes been a downfall for us.72 and 93 and thats it

Yet weirdly we have done better this last couple of years with a far weaker squad. Even tonight we came away with a result with the kind of luck that Advocaat's team never seemed to get.

...and he was extremely average as manager of Everton.

tbh - ask any Everton fan about Smith and they'd tell you Smith did well under extremely testing circumstances of a paper thin squad and no money. He was indeed fired, but he managed to steady the ship. Take a look at his record during his time there. It's really not bad for the duress he was under.

I thought he was awful tonight.
I would agree he got it wrong tonight. I don't think too many would argue otherwise. The players all contributed as well to a real off-night though. Bad match for just about everyone.
Once again playing Thomson and therefore putting Ferguson in an ineffective role

It was a role which worked well against Hapoel. Very well.

and not realising it was again not working until the 66th minute. Playing Egiogh in front of Svensson...I think it's been obvious in his few minutes against Killmarnock and the game against Hibs that he is a liability.
Ugo is a very poor defender I'm afraid. His debut was unspectacular at best, and he has little culture or composure. I counted one good tackle from him in the whole 90. I've seen an argument about his positioning, and perhaps that's half decent, but what's the point of being in the right place to make a mistake? Or is that the wrong place...?
Then there was his decision to wait until the 86th minute until he introduced Sebo. Surreal.

What on earth did he expect to achieve with that sub?

Having said all that...I'm strangely euphoric about the way things turned out. I'm sure Osasuna would have taken 1-1 before the game but I bet they feel they've missed out now. Thanks to Hemdami's poise, a couple of saves from Klos and the Spaniards poor finishing, we are still in this.
I am putting it down to a bad day at the office, and I have hope we will improve in Spain. We have to.

Yet weirdly we have done better this last couple of years with a far weaker squad. Even tonight we came away with a result with the kind of luck that Advocaat's team never seemed to get.

I can't disagree with anything in this post.

tbh - ask any Everton fan about Smith and they'd tell you Smith did well under extremely testing circumstances of a paper thin squad and no money. He was indeed fired, but he managed to steady the ship. Take a look at his record during his time there. It's really not bad for the duress he was under.

I would agree he got it wrong tonight. I don't think too many would argue otherwise. The players all contributed as well to a real off-night though. Bad match for just about everyone.
Once again playing Thomson and therefore putting Ferguson in an ineffective role

and not realising it was again not working until the 66th minute. Playing Egiogh in front of Svensson...I think it's been obvious in his few minutes against Killmarnock and the game against Hibs that he is a liability.
Ugo is a very poor defender I'm afraid. His debut was unspectacular at best, and he has little culture or composure. I counted one good tackle from him in the whole 90. I've seen an argument about his positioning, and perhaps that's half decent, but what's the point of being in the right place to make a mistake? Or is that the wrong place...?
Then there was his decision to wait until the 86th minute until he introduced Sebo. Surreal.

I am putting it down to a bad day at the office, and I have hope we will improve in Spain. We have to.

danny you know im walter bigest fan. <_<

:lol:

Yes I do :)

What is it about him you just don't like/rate?

when we were going for 10 in a row we played kilmarnock at home in a game we had to win and he played with one up front i was disgusted.

I need only ask my brother-in law for one...an Everton fanatic who travels thousands of miles in supporting them. He agrees and so do others I know. The best you can say of Smith is that he is average and nobody there was sorry to see him leave. I didn't say he did badly.

Ferguson did do well against Hapoel, and it may come off on occasion but they were extremely woeful. I don't believe he is suited to that role.

The signing of Ugo is a mystery to me. I'm sure he wont always be as bad as last night (although he was equally as poor against Killie) but I can't understand Smith's mentality in signing him.

I have a mate who is a massive Boro fan, hadn't missed a game home or away till he came down here for a year placement and still goes to most games and is close friends with Stewart Downing.

Anyway, he assures me Ugo is a class act, been unlucky with injuries but he is certain that once he gets back up to speed he will be great for us.

That's the thing here people are starting to get on his back but he hasn't played much football because of injuries he will need a couple months to get back in the groove

:lol:

Yes I do :)

What is it about him you just don't like/rate?

Speaking for myself, I am also yet to be won over by the re-revolution. Frankly, we should have known what we were getting ourselves in for - stability at home, questionable tactics and results in Europe.