David Murrays Tenure

WaltersGotStyle

I was always told David Holmes (?) started what would become the Souness revolution and eventually 9 in a row. David Murray came during our period of transition and takes the plaudits for it. David Murray spent money neither he nor Rangers actually had, and when the shit did hit the fan, he bailed. The guys a coward.

Some essential facts for those regarding Rangers' status prior to Murray's Arrival

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graeme Souness was brought to Ibrox in April 1986, by Chief Executive (later Chairman) David Holmes.

The Club then set about an aggressive rebuilding policy, with Colin West, Terry Butcher, Chris Woods, Jimmy Nicholl, Graham Roberts all being added to the playing pool in 1986, that already contained Davie Cooper, Ally McCoist, Ian Durrant, Derek Ferguson, Robert Fleck amongst others.

We won the League Championship in May 1987, the first since 1978. we had earlier won the League Cup in October 1986.

Ibrox was a 44,500 sell out every week by 1987.

In 1987/88, we failed to win the Championship, principally due to a leg break to Terry Butcher, and the failure to adequately replace the departed Robert Fleck's/injured Ally McCoist's goals. We retained the League Cup.

We signed amongst others Richard Gough, Ray Wilkins, Mark Walters, John Brown and Ian Ferguson.

We reached the Quarter Finals of the European Cup, disposing of the formidable Dynamo Kiev and Polish Champions Gornik Zabrze before being beaten on aggregate by Steaua Bucharest, despite an impressive 2-1 win over the 85/86 Winners and 88/89 finalists.

Prior to the beginning of season 1988/89, we signed Gary Stevens from Everton and Kevin Drinkell from Norwich City.

At the beginning of our first league Championship campaign of the Nine in a row run, we could field a side that regularly was made up of the following:-

Chris Woods, Richard Gough, Terry Butcher, Ray Wilkins, John Brown, Stuart Munro, Ally McCoist, Davie Cooper, Ian Ferguson, Derek Ferguson, Ian Durrant, Mark Walters, Kevin Drinkell.

When David Murray took over the running of The Rangers Football Club on Friday 25th November 1988, we were sitting top of the Premier League, and had one month previously won the League Cup for the third successive year.

And that's just on the park matters......

Thanks to Adamski of FF for that.

When i think back to previous chairman, they were all true Rangers men and proud of our traditions and heritage and our support.The truth is Murray never had the same passion as all the previous chairman, and was only interested in his own ego. In my opinion he never cared about our traditions and heritage, and has tried to destroy our heritage and managed to get fellow bears fighting with each other.

(tu) Beat me to it minstral.

Well stated men,FACTS,something that is currently missing from the board / bank /murray

I will allways remember the night we played Bayern Munich at Ibrox. (The night Mols gave them the runaround)when big Ron Atkinson said-- "This is a good Rangers team and they,re only two players away from being a very good team".

That was Rangers against one of the European giants and we could compete with the best.

No matter how bitter we might feel now, never forget SDM gave us the chance to play with the big boys. Unfortunately, the dead weight of the SPL dragged us back to their level. WE could never hope to compete financially at that level for long, but Christ, what a ride it was.

We should NEVER have to spend big to win the SPL (like Celtics panic buys now) We should be challenging every year for trophies by right.

I,ll be glad when SDM goes, but I,ll allways be glad we had him for a while.

I will allways remember the night we played Bayern Munich at Ibrox. (The night Mols gave them the runaround)when big Ron Atkinson said-- "This is a good Rangers team and they,re only two players away from being a very good team".

That was Rangers against one of the European giants and we could compete with the best.

No matter how bitter we might feel now, never forget SDM gave us the chance to play with the big boys. Unfortunately, the dead weight of the SPL dragged us back to their level. WE could never hope to compete financially at that level for long, but Christ, what a ride it was.

We should NEVER have to spend big to win the SPL (like Celtics panic buys now) We should be challenging every year for trophies by right.

I really wish we just pushed the boat that we bit more that year, we could have really done something in the CL

While Europe was a bonus we should always have "cut our cloth accordingly", to use a quote by the man himself, we have always played in a league that has had virtually no money, them's the facts.

Murray, being the largest shareholder, should have shown restraint and spent money wisely, he didn't and that is why we ended up a massive £73.8 million in debt, at that time.

This is not the first time he has left us in the lurch, he done it then and for that he deserves nothing more than protests outside his offices in Charlotte Square.

Pretty sure Souness brought Murray -- not the other way around. Read the Souness book "Diary of a Manager". Starts with Mo, moves on to regular Friday night meetings with Murray in Edinburgh where he got Sir David excited by Rangers etc. etc.

i think its quite harsh that murray is being slated because he didnt have a proper business plan, when nearly every successful club in the world doesnt have a proper business plan

does everyone here think that man united, real madrid, chelsea amongst others are going to be in the black next year

just unfortunate that murray's financial clout was hit hardest in the worlds recession,

murray still gets blame for not seeing it coming in a way, but considering every single club thats successful the now is in debt, can we blamee him for trying the same method

do you think the man united fans were worrying about the debt on tuesday night as rooney headed in the 3rd goal against milan in the san siro

Pretty sure Souness brought Murray -- not the other way around. Read the Souness book "Diary of a Manager". Starts with Mo, moves on to regular Friday night meetings with Murray in Edinburgh where he got Sir David excited by Rangers etc. etc.

Souness was there before Murray and so were a lot of good players.