Break was just what my squad needed, says Smith

Stu1993

By Andrew Dickson

WALTER SMITH is confident refreshed Rangers can find their spark again for the title run-in after giving his players four days off at the end of last week.

After the 3-1 win over Aberdeen last Wednesday - their sixth game in 17 days - the squad was told to stay away from Murray Park to recharge its batteries.

The group got together again on Monday and Smith hopes his men show granting them a break was just what they needed when they get back to action at Dundee United tonight.

There's no doubt the Light Blues have looked jaded recently and this evening's game will be their 10th midweek fixture in 13 weeks.

Indeed, the schedule has been unnaturally busy for the time of year thanks in part to the fact Gers were taken to three Scottish Cup replays.

With such a small squad at his disposal, Smith felt he had to act before his SPL table-toppers burned out and risked blowing their championship challenge.

Having done so, he is hopeful the benefits will be there for all to see at his old stomping ground Tannadice.

Smith said: "I hope the break works. We've had a lot of fixtures and they've been coming thick and fast for us since January.

"Normally in the second half of the season, we don't have quite so many games and they are more evenly spread.

There aren't usually as many midweek matches as we've had so we feel the time off we've just had has come at the right time.

"At this stage of the campaign, it's a psychological tiredness that creeps in more than anything else and it's not physical.

"The players have an excellent level of fitness and there are no problems in that respect but there has been a little bit of mental fatigue.

"It can be a good thing for everyone to take a bit of time away from each other and I'm hopeful that will be the case for us."

A full squad to pick from tonight, I expect mcculloch and naismith dropped. Bougherra in for Wilson too.

Mcgregor

papac

weir

bougherra

Whittaker

novo

Davis

edu

lafferty

miller

Boyd.

A funny feeling that the only change will be boogie for Wilson tho :(

Aye, just what we needed :rolleyes:

Who had the break, us or Dundee United :unsure:

I was going to look for this thread :lol:

Its shocking how Rangers start games, we just never seem up for it

Think about today the away support were magnificent and turned up in there numbers and never stopped singing and cheering on the Rangers, yet the team just never seemed up for it and gave no response at all.

We've played 6 more games than Dundee United this season - 50 to their 44. They had a game on Sunday, we had 7 day's off, 4 in which the players were given off completely. We've played 6 games in 17 days, Dundee United played 5. They rested a few players, and had injuries, and Webster out, and still looked fresher, and up for it more.

Once again we started off slowly, something McCulloch, Weir, Miller, Smith and McCoist have gone on about all season, and for the last three years, yet we continue to see it.