Dover chairman says Gillingham want boss Hessenthaler

Guest SandyWATP

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl
Dover chairman Jim Parmenter claims Gillingham have asked to speak to boss Andy Hessenthaler about the vacant manager's job at Priestfield.

Parmenter's comments follow Gills counterpart Paul Scally releasing a statement denying any approach.

"I rang Paul Scally after a text from him. He was asking for permission to speak to Andy," Parmenter told BBC Radio Kent.

"I won't stand in his way provided that Dover is suitably compensated."

Hessenthaler has been linked with a return to his former club following the departure of Mark Stimson a week ago.

"I informed him that I thought it was a done deal because it was all over the press that he'd already decided to appoint Andy," said Parmenter.

"He told me that he hadn't spoken to Andy and was seeking permission.

"I then confirmed the club's position that Andy is under contract at Dover Athletic, however I do have a gentleman's agreement that should he get the chance to progress to league football then I won't stand in his way.

"Before he has permission to speak to Andy we have to agree the compensation package should he decide to employ him as manager of Gillingham.

"Mr Scally has to appreciate that he is under contract and it's perfectly reasonable, even though we're only a little non-league club, to expect some recompense for the fact we've invested a lot of money in Andy over the years. "We haven't been able to take matters further than that at the moment. We're quite a long way apart - that's all I can say on that."

But Scally told the club website on Monday: "I decided last week to do nothing, nor speak to anyone until next week.

"I have received over 40 applications for the job so far and I intend to start looking at them this week. I do not know where the story has come from".

Hessenthaler, who managed the Gills between 2000 and 2004, has refused to rule out a return but previously insisted he would not submit an application for the job at Priestfield.

Interesting stuff :BELM:

Don't go Hess :(

JIM PARMENTER held a meeting with Andy Hessenthaler today and discussed Gillingham’s approach to Dover Athletic seeking permission to discuss their managerial vacancy with the Whites boss.

The club will be making a full statement tomorrow lunchtime on the situation.

No further comment can be made until then.

Ballbags.

Dover chairman Jim Parmenter claims Gillingham have asked to speak to boss Andy Hessenthaler about the vacant manager's job at Priestfield.

Parmenter's comments follow Gills counterpart Paul Scally releasing a statement denying any approach.

"I rang Paul Scally after a text from him. He was asking for permission to speak to Andy," Parmenter told BBC Radio Kent.

"I won't stand in his way provided that Dover is suitably compensated."

Hessenthaler has been linked with a return to his former club following the departure of Mark Stimson a week ago.

"I informed him that I thought it was a done deal because it was all over the press that he'd already decided to appoint Andy," said Parmenter.

"He told me that he hadn't spoken to Andy and was seeking permission.

"I then confirmed the club's position that Andy is under contract at Dover Athletic, however I do have a gentleman's agreement that should he get the chance to progress to league football then I won't stand in his way.

"Before he has permission to speak to Andy we have to agree the compensation package should he decide to employ him as manager of Gillingham.

"Mr Scally has to appreciate that he is under contract and it's perfectly reasonable, even though we're only a little non-league club, to expect some recompense for the fact we've invested a lot of money in Andy over the years. "We haven't been able to take matters further than that at the moment. We're quite a long way apart - that's all I can say on that."

But Scally told the club website on Monday: "I decided last week to do nothing, nor speak to anyone until next week.

"I have received over 40 applications for the job so far and I intend to start looking at them this week. I do not know where the story has come from".

Hessenthaler, who managed the Gills between 2000 and 2004, has refused to rule out a return but previously insisted he would not submit an application for the job at Priestfield.

Interesting stuff :BELM:

It sure is ma man ;)