Tommy Smith

scottyboyblue

Rangers have been told that Tommy Smith is not for sale

Thursday August 12,2010

By Scott Burns

Comment Speech Bubble Have your say(0)

RANGERS have been told that Tommy Smith is not for sale - after Portsmouth turfed out their improved £1.6 million offer.

It is another set-back for Walter Smith - who have seen his £4 million bid for Croatian striker Nikica Jelavic stall over the player's personal terms.

Smith then decided to re-ignite his interest in ex-Watford forward Smith, who he had tried to sign for £400,000 earlier in this summer, but even going back in with a vastly improved offer couldn't persuade Pompey counterpart Steve Cotterill to sell.

Cotterill said: Tommy Smith is not for sale.

We would only be willing to put a valuation on a player if we were willing to sell and Tommy is not a player we are interested in selling.

People think they can offer anything and because of our situation then we will accept but believe me that is not the case.

We are not under any pressure to sell any of our players and we don't have to sell anybody.

There are maybe one or two players in my squad that I would be willing to let go but Tommy Smith is definitely not one of them.

He is one of the players here that I believe can help take this club forward.

He is not for sale - end of story!

Championship rivals QPR have also been linked with Smith but Cotterill is adamant they would be given the same treatment.

Smith now has to ponder his next move as he looks to make his first signing of the summer.