Rangers Traditions

minstral

If we take all posters on here at face value and assume we are all good bears then the results are very interesting but not unexpected.

I think in general you will probably find a lot of the fans in the 16-30 bracket will have things like winning,beating Celtic,being the best etc.

The 30-45 bracket will look also at traditions they have witnessed first hand like the Loyalist and Unionist connections.

The 45-110 bracket will probably be exclusively looking at the Rangers of Bill Struth,Scot Symon,Willie Waddell,Jock Wallace etc and seeing an Institution rather than just the football team.

Stands to reason that guys in their late 30'3 and early 40's onwards will hold dear the traditions they grew up with and associate with Rangers FC.

Kids in their teens and 20's won't even have stood in the East Enclosure never mind Sung the Sash in the Jungle.

Hardly surprising that in the more secular society we live in that they see the footballing side first and everything else as in irrelevance.

The key word in all of this is RESPECT.

Fans respecting the rights of other fans to see the Rangers in whatever light they want but also respecting the ideals of the older fans who witnessed first hand that Rangers were far more than a Football Club.

Whether fans like it or not the Rangers of my day and others meant more than just turning up to see them win home or away.Sure that was the buzz when you went to Parkhead and defeated the filth.Or went to Pittodrie for a ruck with their sheep shagging fans.Or went to Europe on old buses with no toilets and ransacking service stations on the way.

Or sitting in the stadium for the BB centenary in 1983

Or watching the Orange men and women attending their church service inside Ibrox

Or seeing footage of Kings and Prime Ministers given tours of Ibrox.

Of seeing the portrait of the Queen proudly adorn the dressing room

Of seeing the Blue Room or the Trophy Room and standing in silence marvelling at the majesty and awe in front of you.

Or looking at a painting entitled the Entrance to the Temple and seeing the similarities connected with the magnificent entrance to Ibrox and Freemasonry.

Or the links Ibrox had to the local community way back and how the Rangers family was indeed a family.

First and foremost though we all want to see Rangers win but for me and many others i grew up with more than just a club.

great post.

(tu)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whenever people talk about those days it reminds me of the fires on the terraces....

Maybe so.

I'm not saying that was the best time to support us, but the point I was attempting to make was that even though the team was poor, you knew you were amongst friends. It goes without saying that I would love to have experienced the huge crowds from previous eras, when they were coupled with great successful teams on the park.

If we take all posters on here at face value and assume we are all good bears then the results are very interesting but not unexpected.

I think in general you will probably find a lot of the fans in the 16-30 bracket will have things like winning,beating Celtic,being the best etc.

The 30-45 bracket will look also at traditions they have witnessed first hand like the Loyalist and Unionist connections.

The 45-110 bracket will probably be exclusively looking at the Rangers of Bill Struth,Scot Symon,Willie Waddell,Jock Wallace etc and seeing an Institution rather than just the football team.

Stands to reason that guys in their late 30'3 and early 40's onwards will hold dear the traditions they grew up with and associate with Rangers FC.

Kids in their teens and 20's won't even have stood in the East Enclosure never mind Sung the Sash in the Jungle.

Hardly surprising that in the more secular society we live in that they see the footballing side first and everything else as in irrelevance.

Fans respecting the rights of other fans to see the Rangers in whatever light they want but also respecting the ideals of the older fans who witnessed first hand that Rangers were far more than a Football Club.

Whether fans like it or not the Rangers of my day and others meant more than just turning up to see them win home or away.Sure that was the buzz when you went to Parkhead and defeated the filth.Or went to Pittodrie for a ruck with their sheep shagging fans.Or went to Europe on old buses with no toilets and ransacking service stations on the way.

Or watching the Orange men and women attending their church service inside Ibrox

Of seeing the Blue Room or the Trophy Room and standing in silence marvelling at the majesty and awe in front of you.

Or looking at a painting entitled the Entrance to the Temple and seeing the similarities connected with the magnificent entrance to Ibrox and Freemasonry.

Or the links Ibrox had to the local community way back and how the Rangers family was indeed a family.

First and foremost though we all want to see Rangers win but for me and many others i grew up with more than just a club.

Adoniran thats a fantastic post. (tu)

Great post mate. I must admit I couldn't believe the similarities between the lodge that i joined and the way it was set-up and the entrance of Ibrox. It's bloody delightful.

Agree with what you're saying as well. Everyone has their own way of thinking to what the club stands for but I think there are values that every supporter holds dear

It wasn't a co-incidence :sherlock:

I'm 20, my post was this:

'Rangers tradition is that we are the utmost prestigious club in Scottish and British football.

Our tradition is of excellence, quality and the very best. This is exemplified in the trophies we have won, the players we have had, the clubs dress code and the grandeur of Ibrox Stadium, built with the finest materials and a monument of prestige in itself.

Our tradition is that WE ARE THE PEOPLE. This doesn't need explaining.

Our traditions is that our club is a bastion of Britishness, Unionist Scottishness, Unionism, Monarchism and Protestantism. These should not be ignored, but not be used to promote bigotry and sectarianism.'

Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in another era. It irks me when people from my age couldn't tell you who Sandy Archibald was. I think I would give up 9 in a row to be able to watch the Meiklejohns, McPhails, Mandersons, Dawsons, Shaws, Waddells and Thorntons.

Bring back the dress code! Worst thing about Advocaat, he got rid of it.

And good on you for feeling like that.

I was making a general point though that if you are of an age when you haven't stood in the terracing and sang all the songs we used to sing then how can you miss it or understand why others would want it back that's all.

Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in another era. It irks me when people from my age couldn't tell you who Sandy Archibald was.

Plenty older than you won't have heard of him either.

How I would love to have seen him and Morton play.

Outstanding indeed. This should be treated as essential reading for anyone considering "dissing" each other. As you state, respect.

I'm 20, my post was this:

'Rangers tradition is that we are the utmost prestigious club in Scottish and British football.

Our tradition is of excellence, quality and the very best. This is exemplified in the trophies we have won, the players we have had, the clubs dress code and the grandeur of Ibrox Stadium, built with the finest materials and a monument of prestige in itself.

Our tradition is that WE ARE THE PEOPLE. This doesn't need explaining.

Our traditions is that our club is a bastion of Britishness, Unionist Scottishness, Unionism, Monarchism and Protestantism. These should not be ignored, but not be used to promote bigotry and sectarianism.'

Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in another era. It irks me when people from my age couldn't tell you who Sandy Archibald was. I think I would give up 9 in a row to be able to watch the Meiklejohns, McPhails, Mandersons, Dawsons, Shaws, Waddells and Thorntons.

Bring back the dress code! Worst thing about Advocaat, he got rid of it.

Sandy Archibald what can you say 12 league titles and played 514 games for our club.

I've tried googling, but can't find it.

There was a song called 'Sandy, You're A Dandy' by Hector Grant published in 1907, possibly it was based on that, but I can't find anything more.

Manti thanks for looking for it.

Tribute to Good Old Sandy Archibald

The Flying Fifer o' the Glesca Rangers F.C.

There's a player wha fairly tak's the e'e,

A guid yin noo ye'll agree;

On the ba' he's a treat tae see-

O' Sandy, he's a dandy.

The wey he can dance aboot,

And bangs tge ba' wi' either foot,

Nae wonder the spectators shout-

O' Sandy, yer a dandy!

Chorus

O' Sandy, yer a dandy,

O' Sandy, yer a don,

Ye come in awfu' handy

As the goals yer pilin' on.

Wi' yer tricky little touches

As guid as e'er we saw.

We've had ootside richts in Scotland,

But yer the dandy o' them a'.

Fifteen years ye've been a Ranger noo,

And donned the colours bonnie blue,

And ave proved sae staunch and true-

O' Sandy, yer a dandy.

Tae see ya prancin' doon the wing,

And get the ba' on the swing,

Mony a braw goal it does bring-

O' Sandy, yer a dandy.

By R. McLeod.

Hope you all enjoy :)

Fantastic mate just saved it to my favs, thanks for posting it. (tu)

Tribute to Good Old Sandy Archibald

The Flying Fifer o' the Glesca Rangers F.C.

There's a player wha fairly tak's the e'e,

A guid yin noo ye'll agree;

On the ba' he's a treat tae see-

O' Sandy, he's a dandy.

The wey he can dance aboot,

And bangs tge ba' wi' either foot,

Nae wonder the spectators shout-

O' Sandy, yer a dandy!

Chorus

O' Sandy, yer a dandy,

O' Sandy, yer a don,

Ye come in awfu' handy

As the goals yer pilin' on.

As guid as e'er we saw.

Fifteen years ye've been a Ranger noo,

And donned the colours bonnie blue,

And ave proved sae staunch and true-

O' Sandy, yer a dandy.

Tae see ya prancin' doon the wing,

And get the ba' on the swing,

Mony a braw goal it does bring-

O' Sandy, yer a dandy.

By R. McLeod.

Hope you all enjoy :)

Great stuff, any idea of the tune?

I love this bit:

As guid as e'er we saw.

No problems Minstral, I like sharing all old stuff like this.

As for the tune Manti i'm not sure. I love the old songs like this. I love the How Can You Buy Willie Waddell song too.

This is a big favourite of mine:

His crime was too much heart

Good post, apart from one thing - I'm 26 and I stood in the Jungle (1994 League Cup Final v Hibs) didn't sing 'The Sash' though as I was only 10 sad.gif

Good post, apart from one thing - I'm 26 and I stood in the Jungle (1994 League Cup Final v Hibs) didn't sing 'The Sash' though as I was only 10 sad.gif

How did you not know the words, i knew the words when i was 5 years old. :uk:

Surely the Jungle was seated by then though?

The wonderlicious thing about the 1993 SC Final was that it was the last competitive game in the old Jungle, singing the Sash there as we won the Treble was so sweet.

Surely the Jungle was seated by then though?

The wonderlicious thing about the 1993 SC Final was that it was the last competitive game in the old Jungle, singing the Sash there as we won the Treble was so sweet.

No, it was the game Ally McCoist scored an overhead kick - It was still terracing, I was sitting on a crash barrier cos I was too wee to see anything.

No, it was the game Ally McCoist scored an overhead kick - It was still terracing, I was sitting on a crash barrier cos I was too wee to see anything.

Well either in your youth or my venerability one of us is wrong....

season 92-93: part 3

The last game was billed as 'The Jungle's Last Stand'. This was to be the final league game played in front a terraced Jungle. From the following season it would have bucket seats bolted on to it.

http://www.ntvcelticfanzine.com/the%2090s/90s9293pt3.htm

GLASGOW CELTIC v DUNDEE FC

Saturday 15th May 1993

THE MATCH PROGRAMME

Below is a picture of the front cover of the special programme issued for the last time the famous terracing known as the Jungle was used as a standing area.

The picture above shows the front and back covers of the Jungle's Last Stand match programme. It was a specially designed wrap-round cover which was attached to the usual cover for that season's issues and was called the Jungle Book.Issued for the last SPL match of the season against Dundee FC, it would mark the end of an era of standing in the Jungle. The following season would see 5000 seats installed and the one after that it would be leveled forever to make way for the Stadium that Fergus McCann built.

http://www.celticprogrammesonline.com/jungle/jungle.htm

I will never forget the first game of the 93/94 season when I took up my new season book seat in the Jungle, eerily enough not far from where I stood for all those years. Things would never be the same again.

http://www.thejunglebhoys.net/jb/?p=237

Are we talking about the same part of the ground? The jungle was the terracing opposite the main stand.

Well either in your youth or my venerability one of us is wrong....

http://www.ntvceltic.../90s9293pt3.htm

http://www.celticpro...ngle/jungle.htm

http://www.thejungle...s.net/jb/?p=237

Are we talking about the same part of the ground? The jungle was the terracing opposite the main stand.

It was definitely the Jungle I was in - I remember people saying that that game would be the last competitive game actually. The main Stand was the only bit with seating. You can see the big massive terracing behind the goal in that video above and it went the whole way around to the old Rangers end at the other side (where the Hibs fans were standing).

My memory isn't that bad is it? :sherlock:

Edit - Is the Jungle not the terracing behind the goal then? I always thought that was The Jungle. That's where I was standing that day.