Rangers Chelsea Connection

minstral

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reference Rangers/Chelsea, I believe I have a 100% record.

I have attended four games, two at Stamford Bridge, two at the Stadium, and happily we have emerged victorious in all four?

1. Stamford Bridge in 1971, Chelsea had a great team, Osgood, Chopper Harris, Charlie Cooke, Alan Hudson , .....etc. It was Ron Harris's testemonial, we dominated and were rewarded with a stunning Sandy Jardine 30 yarder late in the game, 1-0 to the Rangers.

2. Early-mid 80's, a Friday night friendly. I seem to remember Durrant notching, possibly the winner in a 3-2 win at Stamford Bridge. My memory is hazy because I was impersonating a rubber man during the entire day and evening.

3. Return fixture at Ibrox in February'86, similar 3-2 win for the Rangers. Craig Paterson and Shuggie Burns notched, game was fading out in a 2-2 stalemate when the floodlights partly failed. A move involving Durrant and Dougie Bell in semi-darkness saw the latter side foot the winner from close range. The highlight that evening was Chelsea's Micky Hazzard, a truly wonderful player.

4. Two year's past pre-season friendly saw another special Chelsea side arrive with the 'Special One' in charge. Novo and Sebo secured a mostly unlikely 2-zip victory.

At this moment, I feel we should quit whilst well ahead.

Reference Rangers/Chelsea, I believe I have a 100% record.

I have attended four games, two at Stamford Bridge, two at the Stadium, and happily we have emerged victorious in all four?

1. Stamford Bridge in 1971, Chelsea had a great team, Osgood, Chopper Harris, Charlie Cooke, Alan Hudson , .....etc. It was Ron Harris's testemonial, we dominated and were rewarded with a stunning Sandy Jardine 30 yarder late in the game, 1-0 to the Rangers.

2. Early-mid 80's, a Friday night friendly. I seem to remember Durrant notching, possibly the winner in a 3-2 win at Stamford Bridge. My memory is hazy because I was impersonating a rubber man during the entire day and evening.

3. Return fixture at Ibrox in February'86, similar 3-2 win for the Rangers. Craig Paterson and Shuggie Burns notched, game was fading out in a 2-2 stalemate when the floodlights partly failed. A move involving Durrant and Dougie Bell in semi-darkness saw the latter side foot the winner from close range. The highlight that evening was Chelsea's Micky Hazzard, a truly wonderful player.

4. Two year's past pre-season friendly saw another special Chelsea side arrive with the 'Special One' in charge. Novo and Sebo secured a mostly unlikely 2-zip victory.

At this moment, I feel we should quit whilst well ahead.

Covenantor did Chelsea not beat us 3-2 in the early 80s game when Durrant and Ally scored our goals.

Covenantor did Chelsea not beat us 3-2 in the early 80s game when Durrant and Ally scored our goals.

You trying to burst my 100% bubble?

Seriously mate, that may be the case, I was working in London at the time and was out of it for the entire weekend. I may be confusing it with the '86 game? Perhaps others can assist?

Right, I may have a 75% record, we are still well ahead.

Seriously mate, that may be the case, I was working in London at the time and was out of it for the entire weekend. I may be confusing it with the '86 game? Perhaps others can assist?

Hi mate i was not trying to burst your bubble :lol: and you might be correct and maybe i am mixed up with the games.

Hi mate i was not trying to burst your bubble :lol: and you might be correct and maybe i am mixed up with the games.

Minstral,

You are correct.

I hit the books, partuclarly Robert McElroy's 'Season by Season'.

Rangers last game of season 84/85 was on May 16 at Stamford Bridge, a match to benefit the victims' of the Bradford Fire Disaster. We lost 3-2, A McCoist strike and Durrant penalty. Honestly, I have no memory of those goals. I thought Jasper had chipped the keeper.

Minstral,

You are correct.

I hit the books, partuclarly Robert McElroy's 'Season by Season'.

Rangers last game of season 84/85 was on May 16 at Stamford Bridge, a match to benefit the victims' of the Bradford Fire Disaster. We lost 3-2, A McCoist strike and Durrant penalty. Honestly, I have no memory of those goals. I thought Jasper had chipped the keeper.

You must have had some drink that night. :lol:

Rangers footballer John Tait Robertson who played for our club 1899-1905 went on to become Chelsea first ever manager. Maybe thats why we are the blues brothers. :)

They aint my brothers, they are just another enemy as far as I'm concerned. We could get them in the next phase of the CL.

Jumped up diddy club with a few bob.

No club compares to OUR club minstral mate. (tu)

It was a director of Rangers who moved to London and helped form Chelsea. It was him who insisted on Chelsea wearing the same blue as Rangers at the time.

Little bit of trivia - Chelsea are not in Chelsea they are in Fulham. As that name was already taken they decided to name the club after one of the two burghs neighbouring Fulham - Kensington and Chelsea. They opted for Chelsea, obviously.

It was a Testimonial for the Bradford Fire victims.

Arranged at short notice, so not a big crowd, but there was deffo a Rangers/ Chelsea bond between the fans on the night.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't on a Friday night either.......

They aint my brothers, they are just another enemy as far as I'm concerned. We could get them in the next phase of the CL.

Jumped up diddy club with a few bob.

No club compares to OUR club minstral mate. (tu)

Spot-on WVB