Some of our fans

plymouthranger

Some of our fans these days are so spoilt its unreal.

This time last week Kenny Miller was being heralded as a saviour because he'd just hit a hat-trick against the Hibees. Now all of a sudden, he's public enemy number one because he doesn't want to sign a new contract on reduced wages!

Some bears have came out and jumped down his throat for trying to earn a bit more in the twilight of his career. I say fair play. Kenny Miller is a merecenary player, anybody who honestly thinks he has much loyalty to Rangers is an idiot. He respects Walter as a manager and wants to win trophies whilst being paid a decent wage, and that was more the reason he joined our club than the colour of our jerseys. Sad I know, but thats football these days.

Now I know he earns more in a fortnight that most do in a year, but ultimately he's going to be spending a great deal more on mortgages than joe average. I've got no problems with somebody who's career ends 30years earlier than anyone elses, trying to get one final decent paycheck before he retires. We've seen many overpaid footballers becoming bankrupt 10 or so years into their retirement, and then what have they got unless they want to become a pundit/coach?

There's a saying that no matter how much money you earn, you'll never have much to spare.

If I was a player, playing for some English club who frankly meant nothing to me other than a weekly wage and some good fans, I too would be looking to try and earn as much as a possibly could with retirement looming.

Of course, if the Rangers came in i'd play for free til the day I died. But thats another story..

And before these fans jump down my throat, I feel no sympathy for poor auld Kenny sitting in his mansion! Do I heck! But I can at least understand where the guys coming from, even if it defies any emotional attachment I have with the club. And for the record, i'd rather have 11 Rangers on the field if we had the talent these days :sherlock:

This time last week Kenny Miller was being heralded as a saviour because he'd just hit a hat-trick against the Hibees. Now all of a sudden, he's public enemy number one because he doesn't want to sign a new contract on reduced wages!

Some bears have came out and jumped down his throat for trying to earn a bit more in the twilight of his career. I say fair play. Kenny Miller is a merecenary player, anybody who honestly thinks he has much loyalty to Rangers is an idiot. He respects Walter as a manager and wants to win trophies whilst being paid a decent wage, and that was more the reason he joined our club than the colour of our jerseys. Sad I know, but thats football these days.

Now I know he earns more in a fortnight that most do in a year, but ultimately he's going to be spending a great deal more on mortgages than joe average. I've got no problems with somebody who's career ends 30years earlier than anyone elses, trying to get one final decent paycheck before he retires. We've seen many overpaid footballers becoming bankrupt 10 or so years into their retirement, and then what have they got unless they want to become a pundit/coach?

There's a saying that no matter how much money you earn, you'll never have much to spare.

If I was a player, playing for some English club who frankly meant nothing to me other than a weekly wage and some good fans, I too would be looking to try and earn as much as a possibly could with retirement looming.

Of course, if the Rangers came in i'd play for free til the day I died. But thats another story..

And before these fans jump down my throat, I feel no sympathy for poor auld Kenny sitting in his mansion! Do I heck! But I can at least understand where the guys coming from, even if it defies any emotional attachment I have with the club. And for the record, i'd rather have 11 Rangers on the field if we had the talent these days :sherlock:

Has people actually said they expect him to sign a new contract on less wages? I've honestly not seen anyone say that. Point me in the direction. Is it in the Kenny Miller thread?

Something doesn't end up with this Miller contract.

When we signed him, we had a wage cap in place so his original contract must be within the wage cap. Of course he deserves a rise for his efforts and performances, that goes without saying, but the fact of the matter is that at least, we can offer him the same terms.

That's upto him if he wants to accept (with him knowing our financial situation) but anyone that expects him to resign on reduced terms wants thier heads checked.

Aye, i've not seen it either. Anyone who expects someone to give 110% but who is rewarded with less money is not playing with a full deck.

Now, if he starts coming to the media and braying about how much he loves Rangers and wants to stay, but keeps refusing offers that are rises, he will start to smell like Boyd (rightly so or not, doesn't matter)

Anyone who expects loyalty from a professional footballer these days is pissing in the wind.

Also, why anone would pay to put a players name on the back of their shirt nowadays is a total fucking conundrum.

To be fair i didn't see anyone slating him for not signing the first offer(as it was a wage cut) but when Bain said he had offered an improved one i stated 'If you don't sign this one fuck off'.

You are correct he is a mercenary I'm sure if Celt*c offered him a pound a week more than us he would take that extra quid and be off.

Has people actually said they expect him to sign a new contract on less wages? I've honestly not seen anyone say that. Point me in the direction. Is it in the Kenny Miller thread?

Something doesn't end up with this Miller contract.

When we signed him, we had a wage cap in place so his original contract must be within the wage cap. Of course he deserves a rise for his efforts and performances, that goes without saying, but the fact of the matter is that at least, we can offer him the same terms.

That's upto him if he wants to accept (with him knowing our financial situation) but anyone that expects him to resign on reduced terms wants thier heads checked.

your point on ex players being skint a few years after they retire is imo poor like the rest of us they should be making plans for that day.like most of us who are employed by companies we pay into private pension funds and then live within our means from year to year.now if they take out huge mortgages that they cant afford when they retire then like you or me then that again is there own fault and should not expect a golden handshake from any club do we get one when we retire not much of one if we do.now as you point out he also earns in a month what most of us earn in a year i can only dream of being on approx £40k p/a so if life is tough on retirement then dont blame the clubs blame the player/wags for it.

boo hoo, my heart bleeds

just because these guys 'retire' at 30-odd, doesnt mean they cant get another job ffs.

they are fit guys, with 2 arms and legs, can they not get a job somewhere, instead of trying to make millions in a few years and then do hee haw for years, before ending up with a drink and gambling problem and skint

Wouldn't blame him one bit if he left, he's the main striker in Scotland at the minute and out of nowhere the club spunk £4 million on another striker and are telling Kenny they need to cut his wages in two to pay for him <cr>, fuck that. If he moves on then good luck to him (tu).

your point on ex players being skint a few years after they retire is imo poor like the rest of us they should be making plans for that day.like most of us who are employed by companies we pay into private pension funds and then live within our means from year to year.now if they take out huge mortgages that they cant afford when they retire then like you or me then that again is there own fault and should not expect a golden handshake from any club do we get one when we retire not much of one if we do.now as you point out he also earns in a month what most of us earn in a year i can only dream of being on approx £40k p/a so if life is tough on retirement then dont blame the clubs blame the player/wags for it.

Eh? what you on about? I never made any point about players being skint etc.