Closing Down

minstral

It worries me that we are not closing down teams and letting them advance towards our goal without tackles going in. Last night we were letting them pass the ball about without many tackles going in. You will only get away with it so often, and will not keep getting away with it agains the top teams. Was still a fantastic result and i think we could have beat them by 3 or 4 goals if we had pressed on.

Christ minstral! your topic headline nearly gave me palpitations....I thought we were going into administration or something. doh

I agree with you 100% though, and I've been saying this for years.I guess me and Wattie are just different style coaches,as I like to make the opposition defend so they can't attack, if possible.

But then again, we got the victory in the end.(tu)

It's kind of the point of this system though, isn't it? If you press high up then you give them the chance to get behind you. If you stand off and drop back then they have to either find a way through or go out wide, where they meet your back 5.

Not saying I disagree with you, but we would have to play a different system to be pressing high up.

It's kind of the point of this system though, isn't it? If you press high up then you give them the chance to get behind you. If you stand off and drop back then they have to either find a way through or go out wide, where they meet your back 5.

Not saying I disagree with you, but we would have to play a different system to be pressing high up.

Agreed. I thought last year we pressed all over the pitch and were left horribly exposed. Think he has the mix right for now. There is gonna be plenty of scarey moments but it's working for now.

When you play that formation, you allow the opposition time and as soon as they hit about 35 yards out you swarm them as we have done. When we are behind the ball and 1 guy is running forward we allow him to have it, he cant do anything with it. No passes are and all bases are covered so to speak.

We get 10 behind the ball and that is incredibly hard to break down, no matter how good you are, even wee Messi couldnt do it 10310.gif

They were there for the taking in the first 30 mins, after that we let them dictate much of the play which was disappointing and could of cost us dearly! A 2nd goal would of really raised the crowd and we could of pushed on from there for more goals.

Closing down and ball retention are a worry for me when we play that formation and tactics. We couldn't keep a hold of the ball (2nd half), gave it away too easily, allowed the opposition onto us - gave them far too much space and time.

I think that was a tactic Walter had, to keep that space in the 'hole' as small as possible. I think that's were Bursaspor are at the best, so he let their deep midfielders run at 9 blue jerseys and then look for a pass that was near impossible.

It worked well, you could see Edu and McCulloch itching to do it as the fans were getting frustrated with that Insua running at us and us standing off. But in the end it didn't cause many problems.

When you play that formation, you allow the opposition time and as soon as they hit about 35 yards out you swarm them as we have done. When we are behind the ball and 1 guy is running forward we allow him to have it, he cant do anything with it. No passes are and all bases are covered so to speak.

We get 10 behind the ball and that is incredibly hard to break down, no matter how good you are, even wee Messi couldnt do it 10310.gif

So why is our record in Europe so poor.

So why is our record in Europe so poor.

Minst we changed how we play last year from the previous 2 years. Kaunas aside since WS came back our record aint bad, i just posted in another thread that they say we hadnt won in 13 games but we had won on away goals and pk's so unless we arent counting winning as winning then it isnt bad.

We were last 16 of the Uefa cup - lost to Osasuna and then finalists, then Kaunas and last years debacle

It worries me that we are not closing down teams and letting them advance towards our goal without tackles going in. Last night we were letting them pass the ball about without many tackles going in. You will only get away with it so often, and will not keep getting away with it agains the top teams. Was still a fantastic result and i think we could have beat them by 3 or 4 goals if we had pressed on.

Agreed and alsowhen the opposition had corners we had everyone back in the box including Miller which meant if we cleared it they got it back straight away

It must be us auld yins Minst , wiz thinking the same during the game , something I thought Big Lee would have done more of ,

You can see Walter has told the team to take stance in front of the box/final third and then press when they reach the final third of the pitch. It worked well against Man U and gave them very little space.

I couldn't care less if it is defensive and not exciting football. The fact that we're gaining points, earning money and being successful is my monies worth.