Alex Mcleish

Imodium

the only reason i wanted him to leave was because le guen had signed, before le guen said yes i wanted eck to stay

his last season was a nitemare thats a given, but if memory serves me right, he is the only ever rangers manager to make a transfer profit overall is he not?

to win 2 titles, a handful of cups, last 16 of the CL while doing that deserves nothing less than the hall of fame imo

plus as many have said, the dignity shown in the face of adversary typified what a true rangers manager should act like

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of good seasons, a couple of shit seasons. About right.

A class act the way he conducted himself - without a doubt but never a class act manager during his Rangers reign, in my opinion (tu)

It was time for a fresh start when he left but he made us over 15m in the transfer Market net in his time at the club. Lost the likes of Fergie, Arteta, Caniggia, De Boer - an had to replace with bargain basement. I don't think any managr in the world could have competed consistently in that environment given Celtic were spending money and already had a decent group. Th lovenkrNds final, helicopter Sunday, gd bs Dunfermline and we were a Boyd sitter in villareal away from the quarter finals of the CL. With his own team. Where we would hav drawn an average Inter side! I absolutely love the big man.

I never liked him when he was Rangers manager. I couldn't wait to get rid of him.

The no money excuse doesn't wash either. Most money he got he wasted it.

However, since going to Birmingham and the EPL he's finally developed into that top class manager that he should be.

I'd take him over McCoist, if it was possible.

won 2 leagues out of 3 against the leeping leprichon wits almost no money to spend.

hes a good mananger and we got lucky getting him.

won 2 leagues out of 3 against the leeping leprichon wits almost no money to spend.

hes a good mananger and we got lucky getting him.

Yes, a lesser manager may have managed to lose 8 Old Firm games in a row rather than just 7

I really like McLeish, not sure if I'd have him back at Ibrox.

He should have been one of the pundits at the World Cup. His knowledge on football home and abroad is apparently second to none. He would of had much more of a clue then any of the English pundits and Alan Hansen.

I never liked him when he was Rangers manager. I couldn't wait to get rid of him.

The no money excuse doesn't wash either. Most money he got he wasted it.

However, since going to Birmingham and the EPL he's finally developed into that top class manager that he should be.

I'd take him over McCoist, if it was possible.

He could spot a bargain though

i.e Novo, Boyd, Prso

2003/2004 was a right mare.

Losing Ferguson, Numan, Amo, McCann and bringing in Emerson, Capucho, Ostenstad, Vanoli etc.

Losing every Old Firm game.

Winning fuck all.

Not to sure what was worse. In 05/06 we did win and Old Firm and qualify for the Last 16, then again we finished 3rd.

I have the utmost respect for Alex McLeish. A class act and an out and out Rangers man. (tu)

He is a better manager now than he was in his time with us thanks to the vast experience he has picked up at international level with Scotland and during his 3 years in the EPL with Birmingham.

I would have him back at Ibrox in a heartbeat if things don't work out for Ally although I must stress I think Ally will do an excellent job when he takes over the team.

I don't think how terrible the conditions he worked under should be under estimated, he literally had to just scrape around for bosmans to try and improve the squad, and while there were some shockers there were also some good ones. The time Murray gave him the Boumsong fee in January 2005 was the only time he managed to spend decent money to bring in players.

When you consider what Walter was able to spend on building his own team in the first couple of years Eck had it hard, and with decent money to spend at Birmingham he's not made too many bad signings.

I don't think how terrible the conditions he worked under should be under estimated, he literally had to just scrape around for bosmans to try and improve the squad, and while there were some shockers there were also some good ones. The time Murray gave him the Boumsong fee in January 2005 was the only time he managed to spend decent money to bring in players.

When you consider what Walter was able to spend on building his own team in the first couple of years Eck had it hard, and with decent money to spend at Birmingham he's not made too many bad signings.

Good point, mate. If a sensible amount of spending had been allowed, and also for Le Guen after him, we may not have found ourselves in such dire straits.

Finishing third was an absolute disgrace. McLeish had lost it, his players were spineless, guttless shitebags with absolutely no passion, commitment or desire. The tactics and performances were a complete and utter shambles - no-one was willing to stand up, unorganised, turgid pish that lead us on that shite run of games - the worst run in our history. He had to go, and should have gone earlier.

What you say, although it's a bit of an unbalanced hysterical rant, has some truth. Finishing third in a two horse race is disastrous.

When you say he should have left earliar, when do you mean? Actually in his final months were OK. After it was announced that he was leaving and PLG was coming in the side suddenley started getting results and we were matching O'Neil's Celtc again. Actually we would have overhauled Hearts, who won their first 10 and were way ahead of us, but for Celtc's (understandable for them) rolling over against Hearts at season's end.

Also...the two leagues he won were two of the best years in the club's history against one of the best sides in theirs. Not saying he's a managerial great but his record has more merit than it is credited with.

BTW...I don't think It was the worse run of games in in our history, it was the longest run without a win. Not necessarily the same thing.

It was time for a fresh start when he left but he made us over 15m in the transfer Market net in his time at the club. Lost the likes of Fergie, Arteta, Caniggia, De Boer - an had to replace with bargain basement. I don't think any managr in the world could have competed consistently in that environment given Celtic were spending money and already had a decent group. Th lovenkrNds final, helicopter Sunday, gd bs Dunfermline and we were a Boyd sitter in villareal away from the quarter finals of the CL. With his own team. Where we would hav drawn an average Inter side! I absolutely love the big man.

I appreciate the downsizing aspect but some of the team selections and results were horrendous, regardless. That I can't forget.

and how often did advocatt faill against them with his team.

Agree.

Taking nothing away from him, but that's still the reason. Plain and simple. A fresh start from Advocaat was needed, the same way McLeish got the boot at the right time too.

Agree.

Taking nothing away from him, but that's still the reason. Plain and simple. A fresh start from Advocaat was needed, the same way McLeish got the boot at the right time too.

yeah it was time to go. i still think it was a great appointment and another stint may well be a good thing. not for a while though.

since he left hes shown those 2 titles against oneils thugs were no accident.

good luck to the guy i remember him fondly.

we actally played some really attacing football under eck. especially counter attacking. i quite liked how we played.

So did I.

Especially when we got fucked 7 Old Firms on the trot, finished 3rd to Hearts and went 11 games in Oct/Nov 2005 without a win.

Fantastic football. Reminded me of Barcelona.

I don't think how terrible the conditions he worked under should be under estimated

But they certainly are over-estimated, by those who insist that McLeish actually did a good job

In the summer after Helicopter Sunday, we didn't sell any first team players, and McLeish was given the funds to sign the captain of Paris St Germain, the captain of Marseille, the captain of Hibs, and the new Gabriel Batistuta (chortle chortle) on loan

In essence, he could've picked a team of:

Waterreus

Hutton Kyrgiakos Rodriguez Smith

Ricksen Ferguson Hemdani

Buffel Prso Lovenkrands

With the likes of Klos, Andrews, FanFan, Murray, Alex Rae, Namouchi, Burke, Novo, Nieto as backup

Is that team really so bad that 3rd place was the best it could do? Or was a title winning squad grotesquely mis-managed by a lucky manager who had outstayed his welcome and had already used up his last bit of luck on Helicopter Sunday?

Lest we forget that Alex McLeish had both a bigger, and a more talented, pool of players than Walter Smith currently does.