Smiths CL record

martyboy2009

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you enjoy the UEFA Cup run 3 years ago or was it shite because the "dinosaur" didn't set out to play Barcelona style football?

You want my honest opinion? Here it is;

The run to the eufa cup final was brutal watching, i actually enjoyed watching 2 games out of the 8 games we played on the way to the final. We scored 5 goals on route and drew 0-0 in every home game except werder Bremen. There was times when I actually thought to myself it might be better to go out than to continue to put myself thru watching us defend and defend and defend with little attacking threat. The penalties in Florence were brilliant and the trip to Manchester was one I'll always remember as it was a great day up until 7.45.

The final itself was a joke. Smith never started novo and went negative. We never looked like doing anything and smith blew our chance to make history.

He still hasn't changed his outlook and to this day we are still brutal to watch in Europe for the most part. And that's 20 million pounds later!

You want my honest opinion? Here it is;

The run to the eufa cup final was brutal watching, i actually enjoyed watching 2 games out of the 8 games we played on the way to the final. We scored 5 goals on route and drew 0-0 in every home game except werder Bremen. There was times when I actually thought to myself it might be better to go out than to continue to put myself thru watching us defend and defend and defend with little attacking threat. The penalties in Florence were brilliant and the trip to Manchester was one I'll always remember as it was a great day up until 7.45.

The final itself was a joke. Smith never started novo and went negative. We never looked like doing anything and smith blew our chance to make history.

He still hasn't changed his outlook and to this day we are still brutal to watch in Europe for the most part. And that's 20 million pounds later!

Fair enough, but the UEFA Cup run proves that the tactics can work. I agree that we show some sides too much respect, but we're not exactly amazing ourselves. Our most expensive player that played last night cost £3mil. You can't expect us to go to Old Trafford all guns blazing when a years salary of some of their players would cover our entire team.

Fair enough, but the UEFA Cup run proves that the tactics can work. I agree that we show some sides too much respect, but we're not exactly amazing ourselves. Our most expensive player that played last night cost £3mil. You can't expect us to go to Old Trafford all guns blazing when a years salary of some of their players

would cover our entire team.

I've never once said let's go all guns blazing. But there's a difference between being cautious in our approach and downright negative. That second half against bursa we just sat trying to protect the lead with nobody getting up in support of miller and then later Beattie. That's the way smith set us up and once again it was undone. When you're defending for a full half you're gonna have to have lady luck on your side not to concede.