On this day 1978 / Now You Know

1978: Celtic’s Tommy Burns, above, and Rangers’ Alex Miller were sent off as Rangers clinched their spot in the League Cup Final with a 3-2 win over Celtic at Hampden.

ALSO , NOW YOU KNOW

COLIN (Baillieston) – Rangers’ match against Vorwarts Berlin in 1961 had to be played in Sweden because the German side were not given visas for the UK. Could you please tell me more about this? I know they were based in East Berlin at the time, before uprooting and moving to Frankfurt.

Vorwarts were originally from Leipzig. They did move to East Berlin where they were situated when they played Rangers. Later they would, indeed, relocate to Frankfurt.

In 1961-62, Vorwarts were refused visas to travel to Britain. This, of course, was during the Cold War, and just after the building of the Berlin Wall. In order to stage the second leg, Rangers would have to give up home advantage in Glasgow and play the tie in a non-NATO country. Malmo in Sweden was the chosen venue.

In the first leg in Berlin, Rangers won 2-1. The second leg was played on Wednesday, November 22, 1961. The game had to be abandoned at halftime because of the fog with Rangers leading 1-0. A problem now arose regarding re-staging the game. As the German visas ran out the next day, it was arranged to play the following morning, and Rangers won this game 4-1, to make the aggregate score 6-2.

(Troops I found this really interesting , just thought I'd share as I never knew this before ) :21:

The replayed game was played in the morning too, I think it was a 10am kick off and the crowd was really low.

I think this game is the only Rangers home European game prior to 1990 I don't have the programme for.

Sam the crowd was 1,781.

1978: Celtic’s Tommy Burns, above, and Rangers’ Alex Miller were sent off as Rangers clinched their spot in the League Cup Final with a 3-2 win over Celtic at Hampden.

ALSO , NOW YOU KNOW

COLIN (Baillieston) – Rangers’ match against Vorwarts Berlin in 1961 had to be played in Sweden because the German side were not given visas for the UK. Could you please tell me more about this? I know they were based in East Berlin at the time, before uprooting and moving to Frankfurt.

Vorwarts were originally from Leipzig. They did move to East Berlin where they were situated when they played Rangers. Later they would, indeed, relocate to Frankfurt.

In 1961-62, Vorwarts were refused visas to travel to Britain. This, of course, was during the Cold War, and just after the building of the Berlin Wall. In order to stage the second leg, Rangers would have to give up home advantage in Glasgow and play the tie in a non-NATO country. Malmo in Sweden was the chosen venue.

In the first leg in Berlin, Rangers won 2-1. The second leg was played on Wednesday, November 22, 1961. The game had to be abandoned at halftime because of the fog with Rangers leading 1-0. A problem now arose regarding re-staging the game. As the German visas ran out the next day, it was arranged to play the following morning, and Rangers won this game 4-1, to make the aggregate score 6-2.

(Troops I found this really interesting , just thought I'd share as I never knew this before ) :21:

Only after the Second leg at Ibrox was cancelled after 45 minutes because of fog ! :rolleyes::sherlock: