Attacking Midfielders

Tav is the reason imo, all well and good having his numbers but I think it takes onus away from other more conventional goal and assist area's of the team, we should have both working but the midfield have been terrible at it and Tav chipping in as he dose keeps the heat off it somewhat.

8 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Tav is the reason imo, all well and good having his numbers but I think it takes onus away from other more conventional goal and assist area's of the team, we should have both working but the midfield have been terrible at it and Tav chipping in as he dose keeps the heat off it somewhat.

I'm sure you didn't mean it, but reads like it's Tav's fault other areas of the team are malfunctioning :lol:

10 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

I'm sure you didn't mean it, but reads like it's Tav's fault other areas of the team are malfunctioning :lol:

No having a go at Tav this time lol, just think the team as a whole rely on his exploits, probably affects other area's negatively in a way sometimes.

Joshua Barrie made the good point that for Cantwell it’s largely the quality around him not finishing off his moves.

He’s not someone who is going to score many 20-25 yard goals but he does play passes others can’t make that either set up chances or is the bit of quality before the pass/cross that leads to the chance.

Cue 100 dislikes but Barrie’s spot on.

1 hour ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

People’s definition of that position change but for the context of this I’m including people who played on the right, left or as a number 10 this season (excluded Cortes due to the small sample size).

Lawrence - 6 G/A in 32 games

Cantwell - 15 G/A in 44 games

Fabio Silva - 6 G/A in 25 games

Matondo- 11 G/A in 31 Games 

Dowell - 5 G/A in 17 games 

McCausland - 11 G/A in 42 games

Wright - 4 G/A in 33 games

Sima - 18 G/A in 40 games

For more context Junior Hoilett joined Aberdeen in January and in his 15 games for them he’s registered 11 G/A’s.

Everybody knows it’s an area that we need to upgrade, but when Aberdeen can sign a guy in January for nothing and he puts up better numbers than all but two of our attacking midfielders in a fraction of the game time then it really drives home how much we need to improve in this area over the Summer.

Considering how many chances we create and how much we dominate games the numbers that our players return from these positions are an absolute disgrace, and they have been for a long time.

I’d argue Cantwell, Sima, McAusland and Matondo can all be part of a league winning side. They all need to produce more, but weren’t helped by that big dumpling we’ve had to play as our number 9. 

The output from Lawrence, Silva, Wright is embarrassing though. It’s no surprise that as we can became more reliant on these players due to injuries, the wheels fell off.

We need the 3 behind the striker to each score 10+ goals a season. Sima will if he’s here, Cantwell can if he screws the nut, McAusland probably needs another season or two before he’ll get there, Matondo will if he stays fit.

The rest can’t and never will do it…

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Joshua Barrie made the good point that for Cantwell it’s largely the quality around him not finishing off his moves.

He’s not someone who is going to score many 20-25 yard goals but he does play passes others can’t make that either set up chances or is the bit of quality before the pass/cross that leads to the chance.

Cue 100 dislikes but Barrie’s spot on.

Story of his career. Always somebody else's fault.

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Our reliance on Dessers scoring is what killed our league challenge 

Between him not being good enough and our other players not contributing that’s what fucked it 

A big factor but defence going from solid to awful overnight is what killed it

I think you need to factor in starts and minutes to those stats.

The likes of Wright, Lawrence, Dowell, Matondo, McCausland were mainly subs. 

It's also worth noting Hoilet only had 1 assist in his first 8 games when Aberdeen actually needed him to perform, he only became good after the split when he was playing teams in the bottom 6 and 7 of his G/A came in the last 3 games when there was no pressure at all.

2 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

People’s definition of that position change but for the context of this I’m including people who played on the right, left or as a number 10 this season (excluded Cortes due to the small sample size).

Lawrence - 6 G/A in 32 games

Cantwell - 15 G/A in 44 games

Fabio Silva - 6 G/A in 25 games

Matondo- 11 G/A in 31 Games 

Dowell - 5 G/A in 17 games 

McCausland - 11 G/A in 42 games

Wright - 4 G/A in 33 games

Sima - 18 G/A in 40 games

For more context Junior Hoilett joined Aberdeen in January and in his 15 games for them he’s registered 11 G/A’s.

Everybody knows it’s an area that we need to upgrade, but when Aberdeen can sign a guy in January for nothing and he puts up better numbers than all but two of our attacking midfielders in a fraction of the game time then it really drives home how much we need to improve in this area over the Summer.

Considering how many chances we create and how much we dominate games the numbers that our players return from these positions are an absolute disgrace, and they have been for a long time.

Sima aside who’s almost 1 in 2 despite a couple of bad injuries, we range from 1 in 3 (at best) to 1 in 8 (Scott Wright :lol: ).

It’s a woeful return and really needs to be better. The goals contribution outside Dessers, Tav and Sima is a disgrace given the wages wasted on these diddies.

Big difference between the teams again this year was the attack and midfield.

Apart from Sima (and briefly Cortes).

None of our wingers are the quality needed.

Nor is Dessers.

Having said all that. We haven’t had good players in the middle of the park who can either contribute themselves. Or move the ball fast and dangerously enough to put our attacking options in space.

If we sign another ball playing centre mid next to Diomande that should help. 

1 minute ago, Somemightsay7 said:

The numbers show that isn't true.

5.68 expected assists, 5 actual assists. If people weren't finishing off the chances he created then there would be a big gap between that.

Big Chances Created he's 25th in the league.

Chances created he's 16th. Expected Assists 13th.

For one of the main creative players at one of the top two in this league that is really poor. 

Oooft. Headshot.

image.gif.d4cb8e905725483074fadd1f87f912af.gif

or maybe a shush burger? 

10 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

There will be some other excuse 

I'll go for something along the lines of 'he's on a different wavelength to our attackers, if we had forwards who were as intelligent as him he would be more productive'

I do agree he feels like one of these players where it's always someone else's fault. 

I remember thinking when he had his season the EPL 4-5 years ago he was decent, but looking back he only scored 6 goals and got 2 assists and didn't get a single G/A between 1st January and the end of the season - which was 16 games.

He was then rubbish at Bournemouth and his last couple seasons as Norwich.

Clearly talented but don't think he has the mentality for it. One of your classics where he seems to have thought he made it at an early age then just coasted.

It’s been the difference between us and them for 3 years. O’Riley 40 goals and assists, combining the contributions of 5 of our players. 

Until we get 2-3 players from wide or midfield who are regularly hitting 20 GA, it will continue. 

A squad of over 30 senior players, yet only 3 of them contribute meaningfully in the goals department, incredible mismanagement. 

It’s a poor return. I think we do need a Scott Arfield type that is excellent at making untracked runs into the box. Our formation doesn’t help either as we are so narrow at times, teams just defend the width of the box and it stifles us.

As was said we don’t get enough contribution from our subs also. Look at them, they get contributions from each one of their attacking five and their subs come on and make a difference with vital goals and assists. 

Woukd be interesting if someone had the comparison.