Motherwell appoint Stuart McCall as manager

Muff

Motherwell will hold further talks on Wednesday with former Scotland international Stuart McCall about the club's managerial vacancy.

The 46-year-old ex-Bradford boss impressed the board of the Lanarkshire club after his initial interview.

There were talks with other candidates but McCall is now seen as the man to succeed Craig Brown, now at Aberdeen.

Well had interviewed former Oldham boss Dave Penney, while Neil McDonald and Ricky Sbragia withdrew their interest.

Should talks with McCall progress as Motherwell hope, the club could make a statement as early as Wednesday evening but a more likely scenario is that the former Scotland midfielder would be paraded at a media conference within the next 48 hours.

McCall won 40 caps for Scotland and was a key player at Ibrox in the 1990s during Walter Smith's first stint as Rangers manager.

Prior to that he had made his name as a combative midfielder at Bradford, to whom he returned after Ibrox, and Everton.

He finished his lengthy playing career at Sheffield United in 2004/05 and became manager at Valley Parade in May 2007.

The Leeds-born boss threatened to leave at the end of the following season when Bradford failed to make the play-offs, then quit in February of this year after a run of poor results.

The former Rangers midfielder and ex-Bradford City boss is again meeting with officials at Fir Park on Wednesday.

STV understands Stuart McCall is currently negotiating personal terms with Motherwell over the vacant manager’s job at the club. The former Rangers midfielder, who has management experience with Bradford City, held initial discussions with the Fir Park side last week.

It is understood McCall spoke to Motherwell officials for a second time on Tuesday night and, having impressed during the interview process, has only his own terms to settle before agreeing to take over from Craig Brown.

Motherwell travel to face Celtic on Wednesday night but McCall’s appointment is not expected to be announced in time for the match, with the 46-year-old instead taking charge of the Lanarkshire derby match away to Hamilton on New Year’s Day.

Offers to Sunderland chief scout Ricky Sbragia and former Blackburn Rovers assistant Neil McDonald were declined by both, opening up the opportunity for McCall to potentially return to management after a 10 month hiatus.

Former Oldham boss Dave Penney was reported to have been interviewed by the Motherwell board and fitted the stated criteria of having experience of England’s lower leagues. However, the former Oldham Athletic and Darlington manager told STV that he had never been in the frame to move to Scotland.

“I’ve heard there are reports that I have been interviewed but that’s not the case,” Penney said. “I knew there was a vacancy because Craig Brown had gone to Aberdeen but I haven’t been up to Scotland or spoken to anybody at Motherwell.”

Motherwell have been without a manager since Brown quit the club to join Aberdeen on December 10 but have only played twice since due to the wintry weather. Under caretaker manager Gordon Young, the Steelmen lost 2-1 to Hearts on December 14 and 4-1 to Rangers on Boxing Day.

Link

Motherwell are expected to confirm by Thursday that ex-Scotland midfielder Stuart McCall is their new manager.

The Fir Park club met McCall again on Wednesday after the 46-year-old former Bradford manager impressed the board in his initial interview.

There were talks with other candidates, but McCall is seen as the man to succeed Craig Brown, now at Aberdeen.

Well had interviewed former Oldham boss Dave Penney, while Neil McDonald and Ricky Sbragia withdrew their interest.

BBC Scotland has learned that Wednesday's follow-up talks went well and the club are expected to announce McCall's appointment in the next 24 hours.

McCall won 40 caps for Scotland and was a key player at Ibrox in the 1990s during Walter Smith's first stint as Rangers manager.

Prior to that, he had made his name as a combative midfielder at Bradford, to whom he returned after Ibrox, and Everton.

He finished his lengthy playing career at Sheffield United in 2004/05 and became manager at Valley Parade in May 2007.

The Leeds-born boss threatened to leave at the end of the following season when Bradford failed to make the play-offs, then quit in February of this year after a run of poor results.

Penney, 46, had emerged as a possible candidate for the Fir Park vacancy and had been interviewed, his experience in England's lower leagues appealing to the Motherwell board.

Former Blackburn Rovers assistant McDonald pulled out of the running after deciding the job was not for him.

That followed a similar decision by Sunderland chief scout Sbragia.

o.gifI'm like General Montgomery going down to see the troops every morning, I give them a battle plan and the casualty list <br clear="all"> Motherwell interim manager

Gordon Young Interim manager Gordon Young will now be in charge for a third game, Wednesday's visit to Celtic Park.

"I've always adopted the attitude that I would keep the place on a steady footing and organise so that when a new manager came in, whether it be a day or a month, there would be no way he wouldn't hit the ground running," said youth coach Young.

"I have planned for the game, I have planned for Hamilton and, believe it or not, I have planned for Dundee the week after.

"I'm like General Montgomery going down to see the troops every morning, I give them a battle plan and the casualty list. It is becoming a bit of a laugh in the dressing-room."

McDonald became the latest to fall by the wayside despite holding negotiations in Scotland and watching Motherwell's 4-1 defeat by Rangers on Boxing Day.

The 45-year-old, who was surprisingly sacked along with Sam Allardyce at Ewood Park this month, returned to his Preston home to think over the post but decided against progressing with negotiations.

He fulfilled the criteria laid out by Motherwell vice-chairman Derek Weir as he told BBC Scotland on Sunday they were down to "two, maybe three" candidates for their managerial vacancy following more than 40 applications.

"There are three things we are looking for," revealed Weir. "We want someone who is well known in the lower leagues of England, because that has worked well for us in the past in terms of finding players we can afford.

"People who have a network in terms of bringing in loan signings, which again has worked well for us.

"And then people with experience, either in the Scottish or English game.

"There are a lot of people out there who have all of that. Now we have to narrow it down."

That appeared to rule out the likes of former Hibernian manager John Hughes, ex-St Mirren boss Gus MacPherson and former Aberdeen and Kilmarnock boss Jimmy Calderwood.

Lennoxtown-born Sbragia is understood to have been high on their wanted list having been Sunderland caretaker in December 2008 after the departure of Roy Keane and leading the side to safety from relegation on the last day of the season before resigning.

Ex-Lincoln boss and former Celtic striker Chris Sutton was thought to be in the running and also fitted the bill set out by Weir.

Sources close to former Celtic striker John Hartson, who had been in the running for the Wales job before the appointment of Gary Speed, had suggested last week that he was expecting to hear from the SPL club.

Edit: Sorry... probably belongs in the 'General' section...

Stuart McCall set to be appointed as manager with Tommy Craig his assistant - radio/Motherwell forum.

Former Scotland midfielder Stuart McCall is to be Motherwell's new manager, with the club to confirm the announcement within 24 hours.

The 46-year-old McCall, who previously managed Bradford, told BBC Scotland that he was looking forward to the challenge at Fir Park.

McCall, who will have a one-year rolling contract, will look to appoint an assistant with Scottish knowledge.

Interim boss Gordon Young said: "I look forward to working with Stuart McCall."

Youth coach Young, speaking before taking charge of his third game - against Celtic - on Wednesday evening, had ruled himself out of the running for the manager's job on a permanent basis.

This is a surprise but it's always good to see former players do well in management so the very best of luck to Stuart at Firpark. (tu)

Just aslong as he gives us a bit of leeway when we play Motherwell ;)