Celtic need to look at their bigotry problem too

There are two sides to every coin (This is from "The Away End",can someone post a link please,it seems both articles have only been put up on the celtic part of newsnow)

By ROSS DUNBAR

It was no surprise to see the sectarianism debate rear its ugly head yet again following Sunday’s League Cup Final at Hampden. It’s a topic which has dominated a lot of the mainstream press since the March 2nd Cup replay and the heightened tension amongst supporters did no favours for the national game.

The Times journalist Graham Spiers described Rangers fans on twitter as “the most socially-backward fans in British Football” and freelance journalist Phil - The Failed Journalist has said “Rangers fans who indulge in this behaviour are nothing more than the Trailer Trash of a dead empire”.

The need for action against sectarian songs has never been greater. However, pointing out songs from the one side and blatantly abusing fans is not going to stamp out these songs out of Scottish stadiums.

There are many examples on both sides of the equation. Rangers have come in for some ridiculous treatment for journalists and some have stated that they sung “120 minutes of bigotry” on Sunday, which is just factually incorrect. Failing to pin-point the offenders in both Rangers and Celtic’s support really does not help matters at all.

The Famine Song has been under intense criticism in recent months and I’m sure we all agree that it is inappropriate for a football venue.

But for every Famine Song, you have songs about the Ibrox Disaster – not sectarian, but disgusting in their own rights – and songs on the other side with an “anti-British” slant.

Songs such as “Boys of the Old Brigade” were in full-voice at Sunday’s Cup Final in front of a national audience that openly promoted terrorism against the United Kingdom. “Fields of Athenry” is a song about the Irish famine and other examples such as “A soldiers song” and “Let The People Sing” are both Irish rebel songs.

It’s only fair that the way forward is to stamp out songs from both sides of the divide. Songs telling Irish people to “go home” are not acceptable in a football ground, and just like songs promoting the IRA which are just as frequently, if not more sung, than the Famine Song which only tends to appear on Old Firm day.

Who really can deal with sectarianism though?

The reality is that both Rangers and Celtic have been around for over 100 years and the nature of sectarianism in the West of Scotland is a deep-rooted issue that is more than just what is being sung in a football ground.

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill is not in much of a position to tell fans how to behave at football matches following his stint in an English jail after Scotland’s play-off match at Wembley back in 2000. It has to be down to politicians to stamp out sectarianism from a non-football perspective and that should start from scrapping segregated schools which sadly still remain in place even in the 21st century. For me, this is more of an issue than any songs that are sung by Rangers and Celtic supporters.

Strathclyde Police have already stifled any atmosphere from football stadiums in the country and were quick to prevent any displays from Rangers fans at Hampden on Sunday. Fans need to be treated like fans and not just criminals. The over-reaction following the Scottish Cup replay on March 2nd was incredible.

It is time for fans to do the talking. Representatives from supporters groups, associations and from the individual clubs are the best people to lead the fight with sectarianism. The issues need to be tackled with the objective of creating a solution rather than criticising and offering absolutely no way forward for Scottish Football and its supporters.

The Famine Song must go, but it has to be joined by the “anti-British” or terrorist songs from the other point of view.

If the fans from both sides agree on songs which are to be stamped out of the game and this is backed by Rangers, Celtic and the football authorities then that might be a starting point to stamping out sectarianism from Scottish Football.

It’s time to stamp it out for the fans and for the benefit of Scottish Football. The politicians should step aside and let the fans and clubs come to an agreement on the best possible solution.

Related article: "Criticism of Rangers support is justified"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with this whole debate is that neither side will admit that they are wrong.

Playground War.

Another totally bizzare post from the boards rather sad, wannabe intelligentsia.

The problem with this debate is two sets of football supporters sing similar (and in my own opinion, often pathetic) songs mostly relating to the troubles in Ireland. The Government, police, media and a couple of academics of poor reputation have decided that only one of these sets of football fans should be demonised for signing these songs.

The need for action against sectarian songs has never been greater
Songs telling Irish people to “go home” are not acceptable in a football ground,

Disagree.

I don't need to tell anyone the Famine Song isn't directed at Irish people.

I think there are greater needs for action in Scottish football like facilities for kids,referees explaining their decisions bla bla.

The Sectarian problem is the media's little toy.

Another totally bizzare post from the boards rather sad, wannabe intelligentsia.

The problem with this debate is two sets of football supporters sing similar (and in my own opinion, often pathetic) songs mostly relating to the troubles in Ireland. The Government, police, media and a couple of academics of poor reputation have decided that only one of these sets of football fans should be demonised for signing these songs.

The Government, police, media and a couple of academics have nothing to do with the respective supports which is who I was talking about.

Wannabe intelligentsia? I dont even know what the fuck that means.

The Government, police, media and a couple of academics have nothing to do with the respective supports which is who I was talking about.

Wannabe intelligentsia? I dont even know what the fuck that means.

I think you do.

i follow rangers purely for football reasons, no interest in religion and political differences with the other half, purely hate them for being our football rivals.

i hate seeing rangers cast in bad light in the media, but since manchester it becoming more and more depressing reading certain journalists just laying into rangers fans as if we are scum.

I don't mind the criticsm of us if it is reasonable and balanced but it seems to be gettng far too one sided these days and that celtic and their fans are getting a free pass to do what they want and if any critiscm does go their way, they use the persicuted card to the maximum, either it be the club or their fans.

as morgan freeman once said "if you stop talking about racism, racism will go away"

similar to this. if the media stop talking about sectarianism, the issue will go away

By this logic we should stop talking about our clubs debt stop talking about Celtic and especially stop talking about the odious creep Spiers. :D

The Famine Song isn't bigoted.

It's directed at plastic Paddys from Coatbridge who roll about in Republic of Ireland flags and merchandise.

If they hate Britain SO much, and think Ireland is SO great (even though they wouldn't be welcome there), then why don't they go "home"?

Disagree.

I don't need to tell anyone the Famine Song isn't directed at Irish people.

I think there are greater needs for action in Scottish football like facilities for kids,referees explaining their decisions bla bla.

The Sectarian problem is the media's little toy.

I still can't believe that supposedly intelligent people, all the way up to the courts and back are willing to make such cunts of themselves in trying to establish that The Famine Song is a direct assault on and an affront to Irish people. I can't ever remember it being directed at any ordinary Irish people, ever. It's ripping the piss out of the wannabe Irish fuckwits in the Celtic support. It no more mocks the victims of the Irish Tattie Famine than The Hokie Cokie mocks the Catholic faith. Why the fuck are they allowed to simply lie about this whole charade?

It seems ok for some Celtic fans and radical muslims to be anti British but we cannot be against the anti British as they play the victim or minoroty card.Equal rights do not seem to apply to all and minoroties get special treatment this is wrong.

It’s only fair that the way forward is to stamp out songs from both sides of the divide. Songs telling Irish people to “go home” are not acceptable in a football ground, and just like songs promoting the IRA which are just as frequently, if not more sung, than the Famine Song which only tends to appear on Old Firm day.

The famine song does not tell any "Irish" person to go home it simply ask the question why dont you go home ?

I still can't believe that supposedly intelligent people, all the way up to the courts and back are willing to make such cunts of themselves in trying to establish that The Famine Song is a direct assault on and an affront to Irish people. I can't ever remember it being directed at any ordinary Irish people, ever. It's ripping the piss out of the wannabe Irish fuckwits in the Celtic support. It no more mocks the victims of the Irish Tattie Famine than The Hokie Cokie mocks the Catholic faith. Why the fuck are they allowed to simply lie about this whole charade?

That's it mate,but as shown in the article as long as there are Rangers fans that think it's directed at the Irish what chance have we got?

Directed at plastic paddies who own a British passport yet stand and sing Ireland's national anthem and the rest.

A very good piece of humour that has been blown up into something else.