Baxter and Caldow

Play for Scotland on this day in 1963 where Jim scores two to beat England 2-1 , unfortunately during the win Eric Caldow broke his leg , both great players for Rangers

Did Davie Wilson not go to left back that day at Wembley and play a stormer.

Did Davie Wilson not go to left back that day at Wembley and play a stormer.

correct...davie wilson was brilliant at left back.

baxter was amazing as usual.

i was at the game. i was thirteen. one of the greatest performances i've seen in football- beating england with ten men at wembley.

it was also a time when celtic and rangers supporters came together. i got as many 2 bob bits from tims on the train as i did from gers punters. truly a shame that the cameraderie of the old firm for auld enemy games is long gone.

I was once given a bunch of football books by an old Celtic fan once. Inside one was a little portrait of Eric Caldow on his first call up for Scotland with a message written by him on the back. I unfortunately think I have lost it, but I will need to check all my nooks and crannys.

I love the quote of Jimmy Johnston in reply to the question 'Did you ever pass Eric Caldow?', Jimmy's answer was 'Aye, but I was in my Jaguar'

Wee Jinky did indeed utter that quote,Samuel, and the funnier thing was when Frank Haffey said to Jinky; "That's hilarious Jimmy!" and wee Jinky replied..."Naw it's no,'cause it's fuckin true!" :lol:

Have the programme for this game. I'll try dig it out.

Samuel...Was that the game that Joe Baker played for Scottish League although he was an English International...That was one mixed up family; the Bakers.

Caldow was a fantastic player but unfortunately as has been mentioned he was never the same after the leg break. Tackle was a real bad one and many believe there was intention to cause injury.

Baxter stole the show that day but wee Davy Wilson played the game of his life at left back.

Real players all of them and more importantly, real Rangers men.

On a different match, remember the 9 - 3 hammering at Wembley, Caldow once told me it was because they played with an orange ball. Haffey the Celtic goalkeeper refused to handle it and the Rangers players refused to kick it.

Hi folks, new to all this but boy did this link take me back. Was thinking how powerful the Rangers influence was in the Scotland team back then. Particularly against England. Wilson scored in the 9-3 game in '61. Wilson and Caldow scored both goals in '62 and Baxter both goals in '63 (Henderson winning the penalty plus Wilson's performance at full back). Happy days. I have an old video called Scotland The Brave with highlights of the Scotland wins and it's brilliant to watch these guys.

I was 10 and was at the game,Baxter was absolutely brilliant and Wilson was great at left back.Tremendous win with 10 men cause there was no subs in these days.Bobby Smith,Spurs and England centre forward swung his leg at chest height and was not sent off although he was off the pitch for a time injured but came back on heavily bandaged.Huge Scots support even driving all day down the A1